Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beechbrook

Options
  • 14-01-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

how is the beechbrook estate in greystones ?

tougher ?

a bit far from the dart ?

nice place to live ?

all wisdom welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jasonbourne.cs

its a nice place , not a huge amount of houses , its adjacent to Kenmare Heights and kindlestown . gets a lot of car traffic passing through it due to proximity to St Laurences national school .

about a 10 minute walk to Tesco
    about a 25 - 30 minutes walk to Greystones main street / Dart station .

overall a nice enough area :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Let's not put lipstick on a pig here... its a lovely estate, that was lovely until Kindlestown and Kenmare encroached on it.

Sure there are nice people and houses in both estates but those estates also have their problems and from time to time those problems spill over.

As the other poster says, its close to Tesco, the Dart is a bit of trek. It does lead out on to the lovely Delgany Road and is close to a school.

Bungalows are certainly commanding a premium these days in Greystones so you may be challenged to find one at decent price.

Walk around Kindlestown and Kenmare during the day and ask yourself, would you feel safe walking through there on a dark winters night coming home from the DART.

If you do, all well and good, but if not...

Expect the Neighbourhood Board watch to contradict everything I have just said about Kenmare and Kindlestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Let's not put lipstick on a pig here... its a lovely estate, that was lovely until Kindlestown and Kenmare encroached on it.

Sure there are nice people and houses in both estates but those estates also have their problems and from time to time those problems spill over.

As the other poster says, its close to Tesco, the Dart is a bit of trek. It does lead out on to the lovely Delgany Road and is close to a school.

Bungalows are certainly commanding a premium these days in Greystones so you may be challenged to find one at decent price.

Walk around Kindlestown and Kenmare during the day and ask yourself, would you feel safe walking through there on a dark winters night coming home from the DART.

If you do, all well and good, but if not...

Expect the Neighbourhood Board watch to contradict everything I have just said about Kenmare and Kindlestown.

+ one.... wouldnt be an area I would willingly move into. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KatieEgg

I lived there for 20 years, my parents have lived there for 25years. My Aunt, Uncle & cousins have lived there longer still & my mother's best friend!
    It's a grand estate, small, close to Tesco & to St. Laurences school :) I used to ride my bike around the green as a child & play on the green in the summers...

It's a good twenty minute/half hour walk to the DART station, depending on how you walk, & you do walk through Kindelsown... Which is fine 99% of the time, unless you are in any way 'alternative'... I used to get ALOT of hassle for dressing in black or having coloured hair when I was a teenager-from kids, teenagers AND adults :/ That was a good ten years ago though, to be fair...

Kenmare isn't as bad as all that either, I used to play down there with friends for years & my best friend lived there too! There are good people in the estate & Kindlestown too, just one or two bad eggs gave the place a bad name I think :(

There WAS a huge issue with a neighbour having her hedges set on fire for years-there used t be a laneway directly behind her house & that's where alot of... little sh*ts basically, would hang out & periodically torch the poor woman's hedges :( Fortunatly (& finally!) the lane has now been closed off & a wall erected, but I thought I would mention it anyway in the spirit of honesty!

DESPITE these problems I think the estate itself is lovely, great people, nice houses inside & out, place for the kids to play, good proximity to Gstones without being IN Gstones, etc, etc.
    I think it USED to be a tougher area than it is now to be honest, I visit my folks there all the time & haven't had hassle in years!

~Kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jasonbourne.cs

grew up in the surrounding area too ,similar time frame as the previous poster and as she highlighted every area has its good and bad elements .

drive round it at different times of day / night and see what its like ;)

or simply go buy and oversized shoe box in Charlesland :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 rocketed

The houses look decent and there is an advantage to not being in a totally middle class area ...people in dublin/north wicklow often seem to only know people from the same social strata ..which can be a bit limiting ..

disadvantage is if you have to drive to dart station or take a long time to walk the costs go up ..if you work 15/20 mins from the dart station in town it is 1.5 hour commute each way.

is the local school good st laurence good ?

thanks for all the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

everything is relative - nowhere in Greystones is a "bad neighbourhood" compared with some areas of Dublin or even Bray.

WRT commuting - you could cycle to the station in less than 10 mins, its downhill all the way (of course that means its uphill on the way home, but that's better than the other way around IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Let's not put lipstick on a pig here...

Hahaha.. it's the little nuggets of humour like this that keep me reading these threads! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Ah lads come on now Kindlestown/Kenmare is grand just keep your witd about ye like anywhere.

Far worse areas in Bray and even Kilcoole.

Advertisement