Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Overseas Limits

Options
  • 14-01-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have just had a bit of a shock from the AIB call centre and was looking for a bit of advice. I live in NZ and have done for the last 4 years but hold a current account and a Visa card account with AIB. I was home for Christmas and i put some money into my current account in order to buy a car when i returned to NZ (saves the huge fees when you transfer money from an Irish account to an NZ account)

I have always been able to take between $600-$1000 per day from my current account using NZ ATM's but since i've returned i can only take $200 per day. I called AIB who said that they have increased security measures and there is no way for them to increase my limit!

I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place, i NEED about $7k by this weekend (car is BUSTED)... yet by only taking out $200 per day i will be a long time waiting!!!! :(

I am gonna go into my NZ bank at lunch and see if there is anything they could do to help but i am also interested to see if there are any other Irish banks i could bank with that have a higher daily limit?! I have an account with BOI too but there is nothing in it, so i would be able to transfer the money to them.

Sorry for the ramble, im really angry with AIB. I do understand where they come from, and I know that if I was ever a victm of fraud I'd be thanking them for such a measure... but its just not very practical. Im going travelling South America next year and will be away from ATM's for sometimes weeks and days at a time.. what do you do then?! Save up your $200 per day for weeks before you go?! Not very safe after all!

Rant over :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

supermouse wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have just had a bit of a shock from the AIB call centre and was looking for a bit of advice. I live in NZ and have done for the last 4 years but hold a current account and a Visa card account with AIB. I was home for Christmas and i put some money into my current account in order to buy a car when i returned to NZ (saves the huge fees when you transfer money from an Irish account to an NZ account)

I have always been able to take between $600-$1000 per day from my current account using NZ ATM's but since i've returned i can only take $200 per day. I called AIB who said that they have increased security measures and there is no way for them to increase my limit!

I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place, i NEED about $7k by this weekend (car is BUSTED)... yet by only taking out $200 per day i will be a long time waiting!!!! :(

I am gonna go into my NZ bank at lunch and see if there is anything they could do to help but i am also interested to see if there are any other Irish banks i could bank with that have a higher daily limit?! I have an account with BOI too but there is nothing in it, so i would be able to transfer the money to them.

Sorry for the ramble, im really angry with AIB. I do understand where they come from, and I know that if I was ever a victm of fraud I'd be thanking them for such a measure... but its just not very practical. Im going travelling South America next year and will be away from ATM's for sometimes weeks and days at a time.. what do you do then?! Save up your $200 per day for weeks before you go?! Not very safe after all!

Rant over :)

Do you have on-line banking with AIB, you might be able to transfer the money over, or use a service link Oanda/Transfermate etc/

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Hi Gerard,
    Yeah i do. I was trying to avoid doing that as i know the fees of international transfers are huge, but yeah thats the only way i can do it now!
    My da called into the branch today and was told that its the ATMs fault here in NZ.... their limit hasnt changed in years?!
    Different answers from different people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

It's only €15 euro for a standard transfer or €22.50 for an urgent one.

Sure, if you were transferring funds every day it might add up but, as a one-off, and for such a large amount, it's nothing really.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Thanks very much for this dotsman, i was under the impression it was a lot more.

Appreciated!

Advertisement