Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Mobile all in at discount €35

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

This post has been deleted.

Very good deal too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

does the tesco deal include calls and texts to all networks?

does the tesco deal include calls and texts to all networks?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hi this may have already been put on but I can't find a better deal with any of the networks.
    I signed up got the sim in the post and it seems good so far.
    It's all calls, all texts and 15gb internet.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/half-price-unlimited-promotion.aspx

Deal going about a year now, they say it was 70.00, good deal

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Deal going about a year now, they say it was 70.00, good deal

It is when Ive been with o2 for years and they can't come close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭kn

International calls are dirt cheap with Tesco Mobile at the moment as well - 1c/minute to landlines in most of the popular countries like the UK and Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

€29 per month on Lyca - http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/Bundles
    and they're still doing double credit so in effect its half that price

(usual caveats with Lyca - their data speed is crap, as is their customer service, but for calls and texts they're fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I was with 02 for years, changed over to Tesco, same network only a lot cheaper. For €20 I have 300 mins 300 texts and 500mb data. (30 day contract) Changed all the family as well and can ring & text & pic message them all for free, so mins don't get used up. (Have wifi at home and at work.) That with 02 would be over €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

Is e-mobile on the meteor network?

• Advertisement

Is e-mobile on the meteor network?

Yep, I've been with all networks, and found 02 and vodafone the best coverage. Meteor patchy, 3 was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

same as myself. Was with O2 for years and never had a problem, except for the price! Moved to Meteor and found them terrible, signal brutal and customer service even worse!
    On the Tesco deal now at €35 a month and they are brilliant. Signal is excellent and their customer service rivals anything else out there. Highly recommend this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Hhhmm....i'm very tempted!

clusk007 wrote: »
    same as myself. Was with O2 for years and never had a problem, except for the price! Moved to Meteor and found them terrible, signal brutal and customer service even worse!
    On the Tesco deal now at €35 a month and they are brilliant. Signal is excellent and their customer service rivals anything else out there. Highly recommend this.

Tesco is on the O2 network so you receive the exact same network service. In fact when I turn on my phone the O2 symbol briefly pops up as the network and changes quickly to Tesco so no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Lycamobile beats Tesco hands down. Top up by €15 on Lyca and you get an additional €15 bonus. That gives you €30 in your account. Then for €29 you get everything unlimited. A no brainer imho.

Tesco customer service is streets ahead of a lot of them too. I rang a few times and got through in less than a minute each time, and very helpful. on Tesco PAYG you can get double credit as well, in fact my kids got the triple credit for life before xmas, very pleased with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dreamer2009

I'm currently with vodafone but out of my contract next month- so this seems like a good deal in comparison!

Just wondering though, if anybody knows this..... I have a friend with a vodafone (Ireland) mobile which she has with her in the UK and I can currently ring her for free. Think this is as its an Irish Mobile to another Irish Mobile- even though she has it with her in the UK. If I went to Tesco mobile does anybody know if it would be the 1c per minute international calls or would I end up paying a fortune to ring her as its a mobile, albeit an Irish number?

I'm currently with vodafone but out of my contract next month- so this seems like a good deal in comparison!

Just wondering though, if anybody knows this..... I have a friend with a vodafone (Ireland) mobile which she has with her in the UK and I can currently ring her for free. Think this is as its an Irish Mobile to another Irish Mobile- even though she has it with her in the UK. If I went to Tesco mobile does anybody know if it would be the 1c per minute international calls or would I end up paying a fortune to ring her as its a mobile, albeit an Irish number?

Its 20c a minute to ring a mobile in the UK, 1c for landlines.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/international-rates.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I'm no fan of tesco - but am very happy with service and price from them. Was with O2 and eMobile before but tesco have been best so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

kn wrote: »
    Its 20c a minute to ring a mobile in the UK, 1c for landlines.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/international-rates.aspx

Even if it's an irish mobile number. That doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I moved over last summer and signed up for their €35 package, I find it brilliant and their customer service is second to none, Liffay Telecom I think manages it for them. It's very handy having the Reps on here in the Talk To forums as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Lycamobile beats Tesco hands down. Top up by €15 on Lyca and you get an additional €15 bonus. That gives you €30 in your account. Then for €29 you get everything unlimited. A no brainer imho.

Seems a good deal until you need to text someone on emobile or Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

You pay as if your friend was sitting beside you with her mobile. VF to VF are free yes, and if you change to Tesco, you'll pay Tesco to VF rates, same as if she is in the next room. She is the one getting fleeced by roaming/VF Passport charges for each call that you make to her. As her about her bill next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

If Tesco are using the O2 network, does that mean I wouldn't need to unlock my O2 handset if I change over ?

Ron Scott wrote: »
    If Tesco are using the O2 network, does that mean I wouldn't need to unlock my O2 handset if I change over ?

There are different types of locks... I think 4.

One is provider and if that's the case with O2, I'd assume yes.

BrianHal wrote: »
    There are different types of locks... I think 4.

One is provider and if that's the case with O2, I'd assume yes.

Yes, My wife and kids were PAYG with 02 and had to get unlocked to change over. It's the 'provider' that has the phone locked. If you're more than a year with 02, they should unlock it for free in store, once you're not under any contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Even if it's an irish mobile number. That doesn't make sense.
    Of course not if its an irish mobile number. They would be hit for the roaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I have the tesco deal. Fantastic value. Good data speed as well. Internet tethering is supported and works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

I'm on eMobile for a while now and I can’t complain, €32 a month gets unlimited calls, txts and 15 gigs of data. I'm a heavy user of data (ie watching TV on the way to work, sharing the connection to laptops etc) and still haven’t come close to using half of my data cap.

Coverage is fantastic on my travels (daily route from Dublin to Kildare) and the fastest I've seen the 3g at is 6mbps (Using the Speedtest.net iPhone app), average coverage about 1-2mbps

Cant complain really.. And to think a few years ago I was campaigning for flat rate dial up internet access.. how times quickly change

• Advertisement

Yes, My wife and kids were PAYG with 02 and had to get unlocked to change over. It's the 'provider' that has the phone locked. If you're more than a year with 02, they should unlock it for free in store, once you're not under any contract.

Did a bit of searching. There are 4 lock types alright. They are 1 Provider, 2 Network, 3 Country and 4 SIM Card. Not sure what the difference between Provider and Network locking is... guessing that its the difference being discussed here where two providers use the same network infrastructure (masts, call routers etc) to allow granulatity of locking between providers using the same network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

I changed to Tesco from o2 4 months ago and the one thing I do find is the data is slow. Nearly impossible to update on facebook sometimes. uploading video 1 in 20 times. I did read somewhere that tesco do throttle data. Not sure if its true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's throttled at 2Mb afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Clareman wrote: »
    It's throttled at 2Mb afaik
    Surely that's plenty fast for any mobile requirements ?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

kn wrote: »
    International calls are dirt cheap with Tesco Mobile at the moment as well - 1c/minute to landlines in most of the popular countries like the UK and Australia.

+1, calling friends in Canada is cheaper on tesco mobile that any other provider or any international phone card i could find...way handier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dreamer2009

BrianHal wrote: »
    You pay as if your friend was sitting beside you with her mobile. VF to VF are free yes, and if you change to Tesco, you'll pay Tesco to VF rates, same as if she is in the next room. She is the one getting fleeced by roaming/VF Passport charges for each call that you make to her. As her about her bill next time.

Oh it was her plan that all of us move to Vodafone as it only costs her 70c for us to ring her. My understanding is that it is a once off fee per call. And then I have free Vodafone to Vodafone calls so it currently costs me& her friends and family nothing to call her and it costs her 70c. Which makes keeping in touch very feasible.

I would hate for her to be hit with a charge to receive a call from me, just because I changed to Tesco mobile. Hence the enquiry. But it seems that it will still cost her 70c to call and it may still cost me nothing to ring her as it is an irish mobile i will be ringing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement