Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding laundered fuel in Sligo

Options
  • 15-01-2013 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Is it true that a discount independent fuel dealer close to the waterfront in Sligo was prosecuted for having green/ laundered fuel in their tanks?

There is no station in Sligo participating in the excellent maxol 'fuels you can trust' scheme.

Any tips on how to be sure the fuel you're buying in sligo is legit? All that laundered fuel has to end up somewhere. I have been told the large distributors' garages that are not franchised out (ie remain centrally owned) are the safest bet in most cases.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is it true that a discount independent fuel dealer close to the waterfront in Sligo was prosecuted for having green/ laundered fuel in their tanks?

There is no station in Sligo participating in the excellent maxol 'fuels you can trust' scheme.

Any tips on how to be sure the fuel you're buying in sligo is legit? All that laundered fuel has to end up somewhere. I have been told the large distributors' garages that are not franchised out (ie remain centrally owned) are the safest bet in most cases.

There's a petrol station that I ovasionaly use in Cavan, went to fill up to find all pumps out of order, was later told they had been selling dodgy/landered fuel unknowing from a supplier, said supplier was a name I recogised from sligo.

One reason why I usally get branded fuel now, also get slightly better fuel consumption, dispite the few extra cent per litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

Go to Topaz Parkes in Ballisodare or Texaco at Cannings Pearse Road. Both only use proper fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mulletamoeba

What about in north Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

What about in north Sligo?

There is a Texaco filling station in Grange, attached to Londis.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

How close is this depot to the water, a few metres or a bit more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

irish-stew wrote: »
    There's a petrol station that I ovasionaly use in Cavan, went to fill up to find all pumps out of order, was later told they had been selling dodgy/landered fuel unknowing from a supplier, said supplier was a name I recogised from sligo.

Blacklion?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mulletamoeba

it was a rumour i heard about the depot i'm referring to. i was told it by someone else in the fuel industry, although they are in direct competition with this company. it could be wrong about that prosecution, thats why i was wondering if anyone could confirm it? couldn't find any record online mind

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

discount independent fuel dealer close to the waterfront in Sligo
    Least cryptic allusion ever! :D

Went to buy home heating oil yesterday - BoilerJuice.ie were quoting €360 for 400 litres (but you don't know who off who until after they fill it... on the receipt) and McCormack's quoted me €375. Needless to say I went with McCormacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Basq wrote: »
    Least cryptic allusion ever! :D

Went to buy home heating oil yesterday - BoilerJuice.ie were quoting €360 for 400 litres (but you don't know who off who until after they fill it... on the receipt) and McCormack's quoted me €375. Needless to say I went with McCormacks.

Saved myself €110 using boiler juice from the quotes I was getting in Sligo. Got the delivery from Stewart's Oil from Boyle. The guy filling the tank seen the old sticker from 'those' guys down the docks. He turned around and warned me about using them. I told him I heard rumours from a few years ago, but he said they were nabbed again recently. Anyway, best avoided imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Boilerjuice.ie, as far as i know, has only 2 or 3 member companies in Sligo to get prices from.
    So therefore not really giving you the best price available.
    I got 500lts of kerosene couple of days before Christmas, €450 from MK oils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

red sean wrote: »
    Boilerjuice.ie, as far as i know, has only 2 or 3 member companies in Sligo to get prices from.
    Yeah, but it gave me 3 quotes with a €15 difference between the three.

Considerable enough, but I'll stick with who I know.

They sent me an e-mail saying I never finished the "checkout" or "quote process", so I simply told them I'd rather know who I buy from before I order. Simple as!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

red sean wrote: »

I rang around suppliers in Sligo myself and then I tried Boilerjuice online. So I was well aware of the savings I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

bohsboy wrote: »
    Blacklion?

Correct, it was well known there had been dodgy diesel there for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Why haven't they been stopped by now if this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

yeah a friend of mine had his diesel engine wrecked with dodgy diesel bought in sligo about 2 years ago. doesnt take a genius to figure out where he got it

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Can't find the newspaper link online at the moment but you are correct.The retailer in question at the end of the docks had two artic trucks of fuel seized(60,000l).He also had fuel seized at the pumps in Blacklion(they shut them down for a week or so) and they lifted files from the offices in Manorhamilton.Of course I am saying no names :D it was in the Observer before Christmas.I will try and get the link now.

Advertisement