Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Java help!!!

Options
  • 15-01-2013 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to post this and apologies in advance if the question is a basic question but I am relatively new to this stuff.

I attempted to log in to a chat room last evening and my laptop informed me that plugins were required to log in, I went to the Java site and it "told me" that Java wasn't installed on my laptop.

Java was duly downloaded and installed but I still have no luck logging in to the chat room, Im still getting the same error message.

If you can help it would be great and if you need more info just ask.

Thanks

W

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Which browser? The Java plugin may need to be enabled.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are you on a Mac? There was a critical Java vulnerability discovered recently so many browser manufacturers and Apple automatically blocked Java Update v10 system wide. There is a Update v11 now that should sort the problem. Try a java install again now, and if it says up to date make sure the plugin is enabled in your web browser. Let us know which browser you use (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Opera etc.) for help with this

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

are you using windows 8?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

yoyo wrote: »
    Are you on a Mac? There was a critical Java vulnerability discovered recently so many browser manufacturers and Apple automatically blocked Java Update v10 system wide. There is a Update v11 now that should sort the problem. Try a java install again now, and if it says up to date make sure the plugin is enabled in your web browser. Let us know which browser you use (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Opera etc.) for help with this

Nick

Apparently the jury's still out on whether or not the emergency update fixed the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Click on this link to test whether the Java plugin is installed correctly. Come back to us and let us know if you see a message saying "Your Java is working"

• Advertisement

Apparently the jury's still out on whether or not the emergency update fixed the problem.

Was reading that alright! Dad uses ROS (Revenue Online) which uses Applets. Got a panicked call that Firefox was blocking it then I did the research finding out about the issue. Unbelievably the revenue support team blamed the web browser (told him to use IE) and hadn't heard about the Java issue.
    Firefox isn't blocking the Update 11 (yet anyway) and Apple pushed through their own Java update so even though it may still be quite vulnerable as a short term solution it may be viable.
    I hear security researchers are saying Oracle should really look into re-writing the JRE from scratch due to all the recent issues and in ways I would agree with them

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

Hi all,

Thanks all for the replies. I'm using windows 8, not using a Mac. @Doesnot compute I clicked the link, it told me java is not working, I downloaded it again!!! and same result still not working.

W

Wowbagger wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks all for the replies. I'm using windows 8, not using a Mac. @Doesnot compute I clicked the link, it told me java is not working, I downloaded it again!!! and same result still not working.

W

What internet browser are you using? Your Java plugin just needs to be enabled thats all, tell us your browser for more help

Nick

Hi Nick,

I'm using Firefox, I have checked and the system says that the the plug ins are enabled.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

Hi Nick,

I'm using Firefox, I have checked and the system says that the the plug ins are enabled.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

Click orange Firefox button>Add-ons then Choose "Plugins" on the left and make sure Java Platform is enabled

Nick

• Advertisement

Nick,

Done that, it's enabled but still no luck. I reckon it's time for a techie hand's on, but many thanks to you and the other posters for your help and advice.

Dave

Nick,

Done that, it's enabled but still no luck. I reckon it's time for a techie hand's on, but many thanks to you and the other posters for your help and advice.

Dave

Thats very strange, go into control panel and remove all Java versions. Then try installing Java via Ninite. This will be a simple one to fix, don't do anything drastic just yet :)

Nick

Nick,

You are some piece of work!!! that nininte thingy worked a treat!!! Thanks a lot. I owe you a pint (at least).

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

if it ain't broke nick will fix it:)

guinnes_pint.jpg

Advertisement