Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LMO Advice, anyone gone through it?

Options
  • 15-01-2013 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Anyone here gone through an LMO before? Im a bit confused by the process.

By reading up I think I've figured that;

My employer applies for an LMO for me
    If it comes back positive I used it to apply for a work permit

What does the employer need to included in his application? The bit that worries me most is the waiting time, its 8/10 weeks for the LMO and 8/10 weeks for the work permit!... 5 months!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Tonto86 wrote: »

What does the employer need to included in his application? The bit that worries me most is the waiting time, its 8/10 weeks for the LMO and 8/10 weeks for the work permit!... 5 months!

Mods please move this, posted in the wrong Canada forum

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Have been through it twice.

Basically you have nothing to do in this process.
    It employer driven,

They need to figure out your NOC code and based on that advertise the job based on the NOC code.

Guidelines for advertising:

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/communications/advertrecrutment.shtml

The job must be advertised widely on the likes of monster or jobbank
    Cant be just the back page of the local paper,

They then need to demonstrate they could not find a Canadian with the skills to do the job based on the applications they receive

They will have to agree to pay you in line with what the Government reckons the job should pay, - This meant a pay rise for me before I even started :)

Anyway Get them to start reading here http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/index.shtml

and here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

If they have done an LMO recently you might be golden because the can do a accelerated LMO A-LMO

This means an LMO can be granted with in ten business days

http://www.cicnews.com/2012/09/bring-workers-canada-faster-accelerated-labour-market-opinion-091778.html

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/almo/factsheet.shtml

Any questions just ask

Oh by the way once the LMO is approved you can just drive down to the border and get it at port of entry either that or fly in and out of calgary.
    The permit will be issued on the spot cost $150

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Oh by the way once the LMO is approved you can just drive down to the border and get it at port of entry either that or fly in and out of calgary.
    The permit will be issued on the spot cost $150

Thanks mate. I.might have to do it now, looking like the IEC program is opening soon.

Good info tho, I'm gonna be needing it in two years time

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

I have a question about the LMO, for anyone who's been through it already.. I'm currently in Canada on a visitor visa since the expiry of my IEC visa and undergoing the LMO application with the firm I used to work for.

I've gone through the first stage of the process, which took about 8 weeks, so the firm that wants to hire me has got a positive LMO opinion back and sent me a copy of this plus a job offer letter.

I'm confused about what I have to do next. The guide I was using said that the next step was "The foreign worker applies to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for a work permit, attaching a copy of the confirmation letter." I did this about 3 weeks back (sending in a filled-out IMM5710 Application to Change Conditions of Stay form, with copies of the LMO docs, job offer letter, receipt for $175 fee payment etc). I sent this in to Vegreville, Alberta seeing as I'm applying from within Canada.

However when I rang CIC today to check on the application I was told that as I'm on visitor status I can't apply inside Canada for a work permit, that the one I'd sent in will be rejected and that I should send in a new application to the international processing center for Irish citizens (i.e. in London). If the person I was talking to was giving me the right information and I have to apply again (and to London this time) I'm visualizing this taking months, which is a problem seeing as the company wants me to start working again as soon as possible. I'd also have to get a new visitor visa in the meantime as the one I'm on is expiring soon enough.

From reading some of the LMO threads on here though it seems like people skipped the part of having to separately apply to CIC for the Temporary Foreign Worker permit and went through immigration with just the LMO opinion document from their company. So I'm wondering, will they process you and issue you with a new working visa on the spot if you just turn up at the border with the positive LMO opinion & job offer? Is the fact that I'm on visitor status a problem? If this is a way of speeding up the process it'd be great but obviously I don't want to get rejected and stuck at the border. If anybody could help clear this up for me I'd be grateful, thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

You can leave Canada and coming back in you will be directed to Immigration.
    Have your job offer and lmo paperwork and your passport and your visitor visa in hand.
    They will process your LMO application on the spot.
    I have done this on a visitor visa and everything went OK

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. These lads seem to agree that it's okay as long as you don't need a medical for your job:
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770405
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787690

Advertisement