Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad selection help!?

• 15-01-2013 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get my girlfriend an iPad but because I'm clueless about these things I don't know which one to get her? There seems to be so many options available and difference in price that I don't know where to start?

She has an iPhone 4s at the minute so whatever I get will have to be compatible with that. Is there anything she can do on an iPad that she can't do on her phone?

Any help or recommendations greatly appreciated and any potential pros and cons of an iPad would be great.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It really boils down to :

How much do you want to spend?
    Do you want brand new from apple, second hand from adverts or refurbed by apple?

For me it would be between :
    1. iPad 4 (€509)
    2. iPad 3 Refurbed from Apple (€389 IIRC)
    3. iPad Mini (€339)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Danye

kceire wrote: »

Do you want brand new from apple, second hand from adverts or refurbed by apple?

1. iPad 4 (€509)
    3. iPad Mini (€339)

Ideally the cheaper the better. But if there was a serious lack of quality or it was miles behind the dearer version I wouldn't be interested and I'd probably prefer to go out on a limb.

What's the difference in terms of performance between all 3? How small is an iPad Mini?

Thanks for your help :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Danye wrote: »
    Ideally the cheaper the better. But if there was a serious lack of quality or it was miles behind the dearer version I wouldn't be interested and I'd probably prefer to go out on a limb.

What's the difference in terms of performance between all 3? How small is an iPad Mini?

Thanks for your help :)

http://www.apple.com/ie/ipad/compare/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

If price is an issue then check out the refurbished section on the Apple Store. I'd suggest an iPad 2 refurb (around €319 I think) or as Kceire mentioned the Refurb iPad 3 (€389). iPad 4 doesn't have too much of a difference to pay the extra €100+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

kceire wrote: »

1. iPad 4 (€509)
    3. iPad Mini (€339)

<- what he said...
    Spec wise refurb iPad 3 is best value for money (if there are any in stock).
    Have iPad mini myself as I prefer the size (but also have MBpro and iPhone 5, so fits nicely in between).
    Last thing to mention is iPad 3 (and 2) is the only one mentioned with the same charge cable as the iPhone 4. iPad mini and iPad 4 both use the new lightning connector.

• Advertisement
Advertisement