Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automation Testing - Informaton requested

Options
  • 15-01-2013 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Im moving into a new role as an Automation Tester for Unix Applications. I know the applications themselves quite well. Just wondering if you recommend any particular tools to this purpose. Its mainly Gui testing.

Ive seen that Selenium is quite popular for instance through alot of job adverts, Is there anything thats both useful and mobile (say also works on other operating systems etc). Download information and quick startup guide also cool.

Thanks if you can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Hi all

Im moving into a new role as an Automation Tester for Unix Applications. I know the applications themselves quite well. Just wondering if you recommend any particular tools to this purpose. Its mainly Gui testing.

Ive seen that Selenium is quite popular for instance through alot of job adverts, Is there anything thats both useful and mobile (say also works on other operating systems etc). Download information and quick startup guide also cool.

Thanks if you can help

Selenium is for web applications, it won't work with thick desktop applications. What precisely do you mean by "unix applications", if they are CLI driven, writing shell scripts would probably be the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, what's Automation Tester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Hi all

Im moving into a new role as an Automation Tester for Unix Applications.
    Ive seen that Selenium is quite popular for instance through alot of job adverts,

Selenium is for web applications, it automates browser clicks, navigations, form filling etc.

The way I read your post, is that you are testing Unix graphical applications,
    ie. X-Windows applications. So I don't think Selenium applies here.

I can't say what tool to use, but I've heard of Selenium for web testing.
    We use Canoo for web based testing, but it's a stagnant tool and we're not entirely happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

PrzemoF wrote: »
    OP, what's Automation Tester?

A program used to run test cases against a piece of software.

Advertisement