Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Gun for use in Range in Dublin or Munster

Options
  • 15-01-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I am enquiring is there any ranges in ireland that allow for onsite renting of hand guns and rifels for supervised usage at targets both indoors and outdoors. Preferable looking in the Munster or Dublin areas.

I have used firearms and been around them all my life but only recently getting into position to become more involved in the sport. (Working away alot etc.)

My wife is keen to get involved but wants to try out some hand gun and rifel shooting in a range to make sure she is interested before advancing down the line of getting our own firearms.

I have tried google and emailing the NARGC and the NASRCP but I have gotten no reply.

I know there are locations to do airsoft and I could go down the line of getting my father or friends to take us to a quarry however I want her to have a positive first experience and feel this si the best way so any help you guys and gals can give me wqould be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to your replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

Try Hilltop Shhoting Club in Newtown Mt. Kennedy down in Wicklow. It's literally 15 or so minutes outside Dublin down the M50 onto the M11. That road is grand, you'll zip down it. They're really nice guys down there and I know they have a rifle and pistol range. Thay have club guns too so it's definitely worth a phone call to see if they have club pistols and would rent them out for use on the range.

http://www.hilltopshootingsports.com

If it were just rifles or clays you wanted to shoot, it's hard to beat Courtlough if you're in Dublin.

Haven't a clue about the Munster area but I believe there are a few nice clubs in Limerick.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ldeasy

Cheers will give them a bell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Yup - Hilltop will sort you out no hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

On that point, is there any ranges in the Connacht area? I know about the ranges in the midlands. But something closer to Galway would be of interest. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot in years and would like to get the eye in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Dalken

Hilltop..I brought a few mates there a few years ago, looked after us very well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

asfaik pistols are restricted to club members at ranges
    rifles and shotguns are available, harbour house in kildare is another good range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It is only legal for you to rent a shotgun, renting a rifle or pistol would be illegal.

you can do supervised rifle shooting once your over 16 at hilltop at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I am aware you can do it in several clubs it still dose'nt make it legal.

never heard of legislation against it
    wherabouts in the firearms act is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

bluecode wrote: »
    On that point, is there any ranges in the Connacht area?
    Pretty much West of the Shannon is a shooting facility desert if you want to do anything with rifles and handguns. Lough Bo up in Sligo is ASFIK the only range in Connaught.:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

juice1304 wrote: »
    It is only legal for you to rent a shotgun, renting a rifle or pistol would be illegal.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79002976&postcount=19
    Sparks wrote: »
    After discussing this topic with the DoJ, we were able to outline the procedure for legally allowing people to shoot with unrestricted firearms (rifle, shotgun and pistol); but there is no legal way for that to happen with restricted firearms.

For the curious, the procedure is that it has to be on an authorised range, with club firearms, given to non-club members who have to either get instruction or be approved by a club instructor (and they have to use that firearm regularly or be re-certified). The club rules, the club insurance and the range licence conditions all have to allow for it as well.

Advertisement