Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drylining condensation fears

• 15-01-2013 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Am thinking about drylining our garage and integrating it into the house. I'm thinking of slapping on 100mm kingspan or equivalent. The stuff with the PlasterBoard and insulation bonded on same sheet. I was going to dab it on and also mechanically fix it. Only issue is I have heard people talk of condensation problems on the back of the boards if you stick it straight to the wall without using any studding. Studding = extra work and consumes 2 - 3" of my available room space. It is a cavity wall with no insulation in the cavity. I'm not interested in pumping the cavity as the science tells me the best place to put insulation is on the inside. I did this with our existing house at construction time, no cavity insulation, but 100mm on the inside of all external walls and the house is far far warmer than a friends house built at the same time who went with insulation in the cavity. In the case of the house I had it studded first but I want to know is this studding necessary? I have read that you can overinsulate you inner wall and then cause condensation to form but I have not experienced this in the current house

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I put internal insulation direct onto existing wall and have had no trouble. The rooms I did it in are very easy to heat now.

Advertisement