Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where To Take Wedding Photos In Dublin?

• 15-01-2013 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

My fiancee and I are getting married. Our families aren't in Ireland though and money is tight; so we've decided to skip the traditional wedding. But we wanted to have formal looking wedding pictures taken in the wedding gown, with a professional photographer.

Sounds easy enough - but we're having a lot of problems. We figured we'd book a room at a nice hotel and take pictures outside, somewhere nice looking. It's just the two of us + photographer....I figured it'd take 15-20 minutes or so.

But all the hotels that advertise great wedding photo locations have told us no! I guess they expect people to have a real 'wedding' at the hotel. No big deal, I figured we'd go up to Saint Stevens Green - that's a nice scenic place....but I'm told you need planning permission to have photos taken there.

We don't have a car so we're kind of limited....but could anyone suggest a place where we can just show up and take a few pictures? Or a studio that can do a convincing outdoor backdrop?

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

The botanic gardens are beautiful. My daughter had her communion photos done their and they were gorgeous. Its free and theres parking. Lots of different little areas like a bridge over a river, spectacular colored flowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Botanioc Gardens and Stephens Green (at a quiet time) would be nice. Theres plenty of nice spots in Phoenix Park too.

You might be underestimating the time it would take though. 15 - 20 mins is a bit too quick if you want it done properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

For any OPW site though, make sure you get a permit, or else you will be asked to leave. This includes Botanic Gardens, St Stephen's Green, Phoenix Park, etc.

Easy enough to get a permit though. The photographer should be able to arrange that with ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

You don't say what time of year. In May/June/July the Rose Gardens in St. Annes are lovely. Malahide Castle and grounds is also an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Splinters wrote: »
    Botanioc Gardens and Stephens Green (at a quiet time) would be nice. Theres plenty of nice spots in Phoenix Park too.

You might be underestimating the time it would take though. 15 - 20 mins is a bit too quick if you want it done properly.

You're probably right about the 15-20 minutes. The photographer we talked to said to expect about an hour.

Stephens Green would be great for us (easy to get to, pretty, and we've been there before) but I was told we need to pay 150 euro for a permit to take pictures there.

Maybe that would be the best option, it just sounded like a lot of money.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    For any OPW site though, make sure you get a permit, or else you will be asked to leave. This includes Botanic Gardens, St Stephen's Green, Phoenix Park, etc.

Easy enough to get a permit though. The photographer should be able to arrange that with ease.

Thank you for mentioning this.

You don't say what time of year. In May/June/July the Rose Gardens in St. Annes are lovely. Malahide Castle and grounds is also an option.

January :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

What about a seaside/ coastal location?
    Howth, Malahide, Portmarnock, Dalkey, Dun Laoghaire etc.
    Malahide Castle is lovely, or even Ardgillan Castle in Skerries.

I know you said you don't have a car, but by the sounds of it, you will have to travel outside of town anyway.

If you only want photos, and it doesn't matter what day (on/before/after the day you get married) then I don't know how a hotel would disagree with you having photos taken in the hotel in your wedding dress.

I can imagine it might put them out if they have a "one wedding a day" policy and you're wandering around in your wedding dress, but if you go in on a Wednesday (or other day they don't have a wedding) for photos, they surely can't give out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

UCDVet wrote: »

You're probably right about the 15-20 minutes. The photographer we talked to said to expect about an hour.

Stephens Green would be great for us (easy to get to, pretty, and we've been there before) but I was told we need to pay 150 euro for a permit to take pictures there.

Maybe that would be the best option, it just sounded like a lot of money.

That's for a commercial permit. A permit for personal use is free - you need to get in touch with the OPW and request one. Your photographer may require insurance proof also for the OPW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Iveagh gardens are much nicer than Stephens Green and are only 5 minutes away. It's much quieter too so it would be easier to set up photos. Not sure what the story is with getting permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

St Annes Park up by Clontarf has a nice rose garden and is kinda quiet or the royal hospital kilmainham -
    has nice grounds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Sounds like you have a good few options anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭meathenterpr

Can't give you any pointers as to location but what i can say we had our pre nup photos and it was an all day thing mind you there was some travel involved as there were 3 locations last one was a last minute one so it was an all day thing. Make sure to exercise you face as there will be A LOT of smiling. Just my 2 cents. If you photographer is good he/she will be able to suggest spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

My daughter got married in Mount Street registry office last April and afterwards we all walked to Merrion Square Park and spent an hour there taking photos of the bride and groom and the wedding party without being asked for permit etc. It is a lovely location for photos in April, not sure what it is like in Jan/Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭leche solara

+1 for Iveagh Gardens. Very near to Stephens Green too. There's a lovely waterfall there, and place is much less crowded than the Green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    My daughter got married in Mount Street registry office last April and afterwards we all walked to Merrion Square Park and spent an hour there taking photos of the bride and groom and the wedding party without being asked for permit etc. It is a lovely location for photos in April, not sure what it is like in Jan/Feb.

+1 for merrion square , its a much nicer and quieter park than Stephens green imo

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ImagenEstilo

I've done a couple of photo shoots up in Marlay Park and also in St Enda's (the better location imo). Both on the southside. I never had a problem with park attendants. I met them, told them what I was doing and they were fine with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Another +1 for the Iveagh Gardens.
    Very central and much quieter that Stephens Green.

Have a look yourself on Google Maps- It's even got streetview inside the park !!

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Iveagh+Gardens,+Dublin&hl=en&ll=53.336818,-6.259482&spn=0.01057,0.027874&sll=51.896005,-8.46305&sspn=0.174785,0.445976&oq=iveagh+gardens&t=h&hq=Iveagh+Gardens,&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin&z=16

Advertisement