Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport expires in October

Options
  • 15-01-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭

Hey all, my passport expires in October this year, I'm going home to Ireland via America in August for good.
    I know this coulTd cause problems with entering the States with only 3 months left on my passport.
    When I try to google the Irish embassy in Perth where I live, it's comes as been closed?
    Hope someone can put me in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

STIG83 wrote: »
    Hey all, my passport expires in October this year, I'm going home to Ireland via America in July for good.
    I know this could cause problems with entering the States with only 3 months left on my passport.
    When I try to google the Irish embassy in Perth where I live, it's comes as been closed?
    Hope someone can put me in the right direction.
    They are based in Canberra
    http://www.embassyofireland.au.com/home/index.aspx?id=81472
    Takes about 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

hussey wrote: »
    They are based in Canberra
    http://www.embassyofireland.au.com/home/index.aspx?id=81472
    Takes about 4 weeks
    Cheers Hussey, doesn't seem too complicated.
    Where can I obtain a form? Print off or get one sent from Canberra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Having 3 months left on your passport should cause no problems with America. The americans issue a visa waiver for 90 days or the duration of your passport, whichever is shorter. Different story if you need to apply for a visa for them, but if your only stopping over or having a short holiday it wont be a problem.

MarkMc wrote: »
    Having 3 months left on your passport should cause no problems with America. The americans issue a visa waiver for 90 days or the duration of your passport, whichever is shorter. Different story if you need to apply for a visa for them, but if your only stopping over or having a short holiday it wont be a problem.

Is worth it taking a risk though? They can be fussy at the border trying to get in.

Theres no risk, Ireland has an agreement with the US, published on the US embassy website, see here;

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/consular/validity-of-irish/eu-passports.html

• Advertisement

MarkMc wrote: »
    Theres no risk, Ireland has an agreement with the US, published on the US embassy website, see here;

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/consular/validity-of-irish/eu-passports.html

Didn't know that.

Yep, its something we had to deal with on a daily basis in the passport office. People queing up for hours, in tears because they were going to the states the next day and only had 5 months left on their passports!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Cheers Hussey, doesn't seem too complicated.
    Where can I obtain a form? Print off or get one sent from Canberra.
    Can I download a passport application form from the internet?

Unfortunately not. Our application process requires that you complete a pre-printed application form and mail it to us at the address above. To obtain a form, please email us with your name and postal address. Passport forms are also available for collection in these locations.

Another question, is it true your old passport is taken off you when you renew it?
    Have heard this a few times, I don't want to give up my old one and lose all my stamps in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Another question, is it true your old passport is taken off you when you renew it?
    Have heard this a few times, I don't want to give up my old one and lose all my stamps in it.

No, they'll just cut the corners and stamp cancelled on the old one and return it to you.

• Advertisement

I'm currently in the process of renewing the passport, the part on the form about a witness to fill it in, do the WA police actually do this for people like the guards at home?

I'm currently in the process of renewing the passport, the part on the form about a witness to fill it in, do the WA police actually do this for people like the guards at home?

They will, alternatively it can be witnessed by a doctor or solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Took me 3 full months to get my passport from the irish embassy in Canberra applied in early august and got it back in November. Passport was processed on the 18th of october i think but i didnt get it for about 3 weeks after that.

Advertisement