Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Broadband/Network

• 15-01-2013 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

So our Broadband has gone slow here recently, pages slow to load, requiring a couple of refreshes to get them open.

Our modem is quite old, and I've a couple of spare new ones lying around, so I changed the current Motorola one for a Zyxel one.

Immediately the Broadband got much quicker, so I thought I'd solved the problem. That was Friday, but now the same problems have started up again, so I reset the modem again, and the broadband has gotten quicker again.

So I'm wondering if someone can help me diagnose the problem? It seems to me that there could be an underlying problem that gets temporarily fixed by changing/resetting the modem.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The Dagda wrote: »
    So our Broadband has gone slow here recently, pages slow to load, requiring a couple of refreshes to get them open.

Our modem is quite old, and I've a couple of spare new ones lying around, so I changed the current Motorola one for a Zyxel one.

Immediately the Broadband got much quicker, so I thought I'd solved the problem. That was Friday, but now the same problems have started up again, so I reset the modem again, and the broadband has gotten quicker again.

So I'm wondering if someone can help me diagnose the problem? It seems to me that there could be an underlying problem that gets temporarily fixed by changing/resetting the modem.

Do you have Sky boxes or a monitored alarm system installed by any chance? Sounds like your issue is possibly to do with noise on the line/errors etc. Sky boxes and monitored alarms are notorious for causing line issues regarding broadband. Log in to the modems configuration page (192.168.1.254 in your web browser address bar) and look for the US/DS Attenuation and SNR/Noise margin readings. What are they? Also be sure to have a DSL filter fitted to the phone line going in to the wall (if you have an Eircom box with a PC symbol on it then it is filtered already).
    Moved this over to the broadband forum for ya which is more suited

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

yoyo wrote: »
    Do you have Sky boxes or a monitored alarm system installed by any chance? Sounds like your issue is possibly to do with noise on the line/errors etc. Sky boxes and monitored alarms are notorious for causing line issues regarding broadband. Log in to the modems configuration page (192.168.1.254 in your web browser address bar) and look for the US/DS Attenuation and SNR/Noise margin readings. What are they? Also be sure to have a DSL filter fitted to the phone line going in to the wall (if you have an Eircom box with a PC symbol on it then it is filtered already).
    Moved this over to the broadband forum for ya which is more suited

Nick

Thanks for the reply, and the move.

There's nothing other than computers and printers on the network.

The readings are;

ADSL link status: up

Opmode: ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
    near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 8160 kbps
    near-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps
    far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 512 kbps
    far-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps
    near-end FEC error fast: 0
    near-end FEC error interleaved: 9
    near-end CRC error fast: 0
    near-end CRC error interleaved: 0
    near-end HEC error fast: 0
    near-end HEC error interleaved: 0
    far-end FEC error fast: 0
    far-end FEC error interleaved: 0
    far-end CRC error fast: 0
    far-end CRC error interleaved: 0
    far-end HEC error fast: 0
    far-end HEC error interleaved: 0
    ADSL uptime : 1:35, 24 secs
    ADSL activetime :0 min, 12 secs

Downstream:
    relative capacity occupation: 70%
    noise margin downstream: 205 0.1db
    output power upstream: 120 0.1dbm
    attenuation downstream: 90 0.1db

Upstream:
    relative capacity occupation: 55%
    noise margin upstream: 230 0.1db
    output power downstream: 155 0.1dbm
    attenuation upstream: 70 0.1db

Bit table:
    carrier load: number of bits per tone
    tone 0- 31: 00 00 00 02 46 66 78 88 89 99 99 99 88 87 66 53
    tone 32- 63: 00 02 34 56 67 88 99 aa aa bb bb cc cc cc cc cc
    tone 64- 95: 0c cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc
    tone 96-127: cc cc cc bb cc cb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb
    tone 128-159: bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb
    tone 160-191: bb bb bb bb bb ab bb ba bb bb bb bb ba ab ab aa
    tone 192-223: aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa ab bb aa aa aa
    tone 224-255: aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa 99 99 88 87 65
    near end itu identification: 26005443544e0000
    far end itu identification: b5004244434da325
    attain upstream: 1268
    attain downstream: 13120
    ADSL activetime second: 12
    ADSL total ativetime second: 12
    ADSL quarter hour ativetime second: 378
    ATURANSIRev: 0
    ATUCANSIRev: 1
    ATURANSIStd: 0
    ATUCANSIStd: 0
    Interleave Depth: 64

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Is there a crackling noise when you are using the telephone? A crackling noise over the telephone usually means the issue is with the line itself.

Had a similar issue which had to be sorted by numerous visits from engineers (problem was not internal).

I also had the old netopia router which "could" drop every now and then. Have since replaced it with a TP-Link and no issues in over a month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks for the reply, and the move.

There's nothing other than computers and printers on the network.

The readings are;

ADSL link status: up

Opmode: ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
    near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 8160 kbps
    near-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps
    far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 512 kbps

Downstream:
    relative capacity occupation: 70%
    noise margin downstream: 205 0.1db
    output power upstream: 120 0.1dbm
    attenuation downstream: 90 0.1db

Upstream:
    relative capacity occupation: 55%
    noise margin upstream: 230 0.1db
    output power downstream: 155 0.1dbm
    attenuation upstream: 70 0.1db

The line is synced at its full 8 megs, with plenty to spare. It's a shame ADSL2 isn't in use, you'd get double that speed otherwise.

The worrying part is that something is already consuming the majority of your bandwidth. Either something's trojaned and spamming, or someone's leaching off your network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

First, i would check to see if your computer has any Malware infections. Having Malware on your computer will slow down your internet and not enough (disk) memory on the computer can also slow your internet.

Second, i would advice against using more than one computer at a time, if its hard wired (using wires or cables) even more so.

Like your speed is only suitable for browsing and a bit of casual gaming. I also suggest checking check your printer, often they've got wifi buttons settings and buttons, so it could be using bandwidth when its turned on, if you're not directly using it.

Just try one computer, and if its still slow, ring you're internet provider for advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement