Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in UAE

• 15-01-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Im new to this but I was just looking for some advice on my situation. Im 22 and currently in a bachelor degree for teaching DCG and Construction within a University in Ireland. My main aim is to teach in Dubai although I dont really mind what I teach as I will have a full qualification as a teacher in May. I was just looking for advice to what sites I should be looking at regards finding a job over there in Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

I know there is SABIS although I have heard mixed opinions and dont know is this the best route for me as a fully qualified teacher in comparison to people who have just done TEFL. Anyone with advice as to what sites to be aiming for or anything to do with this area would be great as I would like to apply ASAP. I have done my research to a certain degree on this although am still puzzled as to the best way around it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

I found my job through www.seekteacher.com and www.teachanywhere.com. They got me a job after two weeks of registering. I'm primary though, I'm not sure if it might be tougher to find a job in secondary, I wouldn't say so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Marbles2

Can I ask brónaim cád, have you much prior experience? I have registered with teachanywhere, and they have told me i need 2 years experience. I do know some girls who went to UAE straight after doing pgce and got jobs. i think it must depend on the school?

No experience, I finished in June. I'm not in the UAE, I'm in Kuwait. The money is better in Kuwait but the lifestyle is better in the UAE.

Ah thanks for that. is your rent and expenses paid for like they are in UAE? what is the salary like?

Yeah we get a one bedroom flat, no bills and free bus to school so nothing comes out of your wages at all. It's all yours to keep. I'm an NQT so am only starting out on the payscale. We get paid 725KD - €2000.

• Advertisement

wow, fair play. i tried applying through seek teaching, but there's something wrong with the site i think. i have applied through teach anywhere. what did they ask in your interview? did you have to bring anything out with you? im a little unsure as to whether i want to go or not. well to be honest, the only thing i feel uneasy about is going on my own, not that i dont mind traveling independently etc but it is a long time to be away from friends and family etc..

Just general stuff about your teaching practice, assessment and blah blah... I'm only doing until June. I hate it here, I'm going try get a job in Ireland and do my Irish and probation year. If I'm not working until xmas I'll have to leave again... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

Just general stuff about your teaching practice, assessment and blah blah... I'm only doing until June. I hate it here, I'm going try get a job in Ireland and do my Irish and probation year. If I'm not working until xmas I'll have to leave again... :(

Ah I heard Kuwait is different alright, but you're on a lot better money than some in the UAE!! Do you really hate it that much? I love it here in Dubai..I'll be sad to leave at the end of June, but I'm moving on to somewhere new outside the middle east... :) I've still no probation done either, but I'm not bothered..I left ages ago because of the lack of permanent work...I'm teaching abroad for ages and I'll still be abroad for a few months months atleast...!

I'm in no rush home to go and find a job to get me 'probated'. Even that word annoys me so much though..I know a girl who luckily got a job last September after graduating and was 'probated' by March. Meanwhile, I've been teaching nearly 3 years now, and have been in full employment for 2 and a half of those...does that mean on paper she is a better teacher when she can apply for certain jobs now and I can't?? It really annoys me so much when I see job posts then for 'probated teachers only' in that case...!! You probably know yourself nd are in the same situation, in my school here the amount of planning work and assessments I have to do is crazy...and I've been examined by the ministry of Education here once. I just don't understand, with so many qualified Irish teachers out in the ME now, that they don't set up some system whereby we can get probated out here...it frustrates me!! Anyway, rant over!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bumbleebee

Yeah we get a one bedroom flat, no bills and free bus to school so nothing comes out of your wages at all. It's all yours to keep. I'm an NQT so am only starting out on the payscale. We get paid 725KD - €2000.

HI there,

Just wondering is it €2000 per week or per month that you got paid and was it possible to save while you were over there.
    I am planning a trip for experience and to save money :)

Thanks,
    Bumbleebee

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Palatico

Hi , I`m new to this , I`m really interested in teaching in UAE , firstly i would be very grateful to anyone with any advice. Ive being doing quite a bit of research on the forums and I`m still not very clear in relation to which recruitment agency to go with. My degree subject is geography and i have two years experience of teaching geography at second level. I have my h dip complete and I`m also in the process of completing an online TEFL course. My question is do any schools apart from international schools have geography on their curricle , also what would my realistic chances of landing a dream job. Any information would be greatly appreciated as regards how to get the ball rolling, Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

Same^
    Would also like to hear from someone teaching post-primary in abu dhabi/ dubai and did not go through SABIS but teachaway or teachanywhere etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 inbodwetrust13

You talking primary or secondary here

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Palatico

Im talking Secondary School .

Advertisement