Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing an Account in order to recover the Gamertag

Options
  • 15-01-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭

When I originally got an Xbox back in the day I registered a username to my hotmail account at the time so I'd have it. What I didn't know back then was that meant I couldn't register it on the console because it was already taken (by me).

Is there a way I can close that original account and then change my current gamer tag to that one? Or if I close that account is the old gamertag locked out forever?

I somehow managed to remember the password to that hotmail account so I have access to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Makaveli wrote: »
    When I originally got an Xbox back in the day I registered a username to my hotmail account at the time so I'd have it. What I didn't know back then was that meant I couldn't register it on the console because it was already taken (by me).

Is there a way I can close that original account and then change my current gamer tag to that one? Or if I close that account is the old gamertag locked out forever?

I somehow managed to remember the password to that hotmail account so I have access to it.

If you really want the gamertag you may have to pay for two changes of username with MS points, one for the old one to whatever, and the other for to get the gamertag on your current account

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Meh, I'm not spending 1600 points just to get my gamertag sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Could you not just change the Microsoft Account associated with the gamertag? That way you could assign it to your new e-mail address, etc.?

But then I'd need another gold sub until this one runs out and have to re-add everyone to my friends list and lose the gamerscore (that's not a big deal really)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Makaveli wrote: »
    But then I'd need another gold sub until this one runs out and have to re-add everyone to my friends list and lose the gamerscore (that's not a big deal really)?
    No? Not if your changing Microsoft accounts, all that is tied to the Gamertag, not the Microsoft account

• Advertisement

I don't follow. If I move the old gamertag to the same account as my current gamertag what happens exactly? Can I even do that?

Ok so you have two Gamertags, and two Microsoft accounts. And you want the Microsoft account from one, on the other, is that it?

I want to get the first gamertag I registered associated with my actual account. So I want my account now to stay the same but have the correct gamertag.

My original question was can I close the first live account and free up the gamertag associated with it and then pay the 800 points to change the gamertag I do use to that one.

Gamertag A Live ID A
    Gamertag B Live ID B

Close Live ID A
    Change Gamertag B to Gamgertag A

Ahh ok no that's not possible, sorry, even with closing the live ID the Gamertag will continue to exist, there is no way of freeing up the Gamertag, aside from paying to get that one changed too.

Advertisement