Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League XI

• 15-01-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭

Was watching this video on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21011347

Lawro and Savage choose their Premiership XI. Looks like this:

Hart

Zabaleta--Kompany---Vidic----Baines

Yaya

---Gerrard
    Bale---

Rooney

Suarez
    Van Persie

They stressed that it was based on ability - on who was the best - not on form. So the likes of Begovic, Michu etc... would probably have to do a bit more to get into a team.

Who would be in your team? It's actually quite hard. This is what I've come up with.

Hart

Rafael----Kompany---Agger
    Cole

Yaya

Rooney----Mata

--Suarez
    Bale

Van Persie

Perhaps too attacking but I didn't want to leave Rooney or Mata out and feel Rooney is versatile enough to play in midfield.

There's a few players who might be good enough to get in (the likes of Vertonghen and Dembele spring to mind) but who I haven't really seen enough of to put in.

It's pretty tough. Had to leave Silva and Cazorla out, but I feel Mata is the better player at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Using no players from the Manchester Clubs + Chelsea:
    Begovic
    Johnson Vertonghen Agger Baines
    Diame Wilshere
    Snodgrass Michu Bale
    Suarez

That's a bit more fun IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I love Snoddy but he's not ahead of Cazorla or Walcott or Ruiz, to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Begovic

Rafael----Kompany---Vermaelin
    Baines

Yaya

Rooney----Mata

--Suarez
    Bale

Van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Begovic
    Zabaleta--Kompany---Vidic---Cole
    Toure--Wilshere
    --Mata
    Silva
    Bale
    RVP

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Michu + 10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

G.K. wrote: »
    I love Snoddy but he's not ahead of Cazorla or Walcott or Ruiz, to name a few.

Yep that's correct. It's more of a personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

on this season....

Begovic
    Zabaleta----Shawcross
    Williams
    Baines
    Carrick

Wilshere
    Mata
    Bale
    Suarez

RVP

even though Michu is the value signing of the season, I just can't drop Suarez or RVP.

if we were going just "the best"...

Hart
    Zabaleta
    Kompany----Ivanovic
    Baines
    Yaya Youre

Wilshere

Silva
    Mata
    Suarez

RVP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I think you'd have to have Wilshere ahead of Gerrard, otherwise fairly close to the best 11. Wilshere was absolutely brilliant against City on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Three years later people still put Yaya down as a defensive midfielder, come on lads :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Cech

Johnson
    Kompany
    Ivanovic
    Bale

Felliani
    Carrick/Gerrard (undecided)
    Dembele

Suarez
    Van Persie
    Mata

Highlights the paucity of top class defenders in the premier league (or is that worldwide)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Begovic
    Walker--Kompany---Vidic---Baines
    Fellaini--Yaya
    Hazard
    Mata
    Bale
    RVP

I reckon they'd be hard beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Personally think Joe Hart has been very ordinary the past 12 months and would have both Mingolet and Begovic ahead of him and Jussi and Czech on a par. Vidic has done nothing in a long time to merit inclusion and as for someone including Vermaelan lol he is damn lucky he is captain at the emirates or he wouldn't make hte Arsenal 11 never mind a league 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

If its just on ability then mine would be this

Cech

Zabaleta--Kompany-Jagielka--Cole--

Sandro

Yaya
    Mata

Silva
    Bale--

RVP

But going on form there would be quite a few changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Its based on 'ability' yet Baines is ahead of Cole? If Baines is in, then Gerrard can't be in it.

TBH the only reason Michu doesn't get in is prestige. If you were doing a starting 11 for EPL now he would have to be in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

EdenHazard wrote: »
    TBH the only reason Michu doesn't get in is prestige. If you were doing a starting 11 for EPL now he would have to be in it.

Well depends what formation is being used really. Im just playing with the 1 up front and if it wasnt van persie it would be suarez most likely. And there might be a couple of others ahead of him too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Here, what is Gerrard actually doing in any of these teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Best this season
    Begovic
    Ivanovic Shawcross Kompany Baines
    Mata Fellaini Bale
    Michu
    RVP Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

CSF wrote: »
    Here, what is Gerrard actually doing in any of these teams?

I probably wouldn't put him in but despite playing in an extremely average Liverpool team, he's joint top of the assists chart with 8 this season, so it's hardly a ridiculous choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

asdfgh86 wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't put him in but despite playing in an extremely average Liverpool team, he's joint top of the assists chart with 8 this season, so it's hardly a ridiculous choice.

It is when Rooney isn't being picked in the team(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mata, Hazard, Cazorla, Fellaini, Silva, Bale, Michu, Toure, Wilshere.

Yes it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

SlickRic wrote: »

if we were going just "the best"...

Hart
    Zabaleta
    Kompany----Ivanovic
    Baines
    Yaya Youre

Wilshere

Silva
    Mata
    Suarez

RVP

what is your criteria for "the best"? theres 5 or 6 questionable ones in there for sure.

Aguero and Rooney would be well ahead of Suarez and Mata for example if your picking the best as you say it. Wilshere has had an injury plagued career and has barely played in PL terms, so has alot to prove.

not sure either that Ivanovic can be classed as the best in his position and Yaya has been a poor performer in most aspects if you listen to the resident city fans on here.

infact, his best contributions have been from an attacking sense,so having him playing in a DM position makes no sense.

overall, very poor team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Only cech ,yaya and RVP would make every pl team, the rest of the positions are very debatable.

Honestly, I'm starting to think Wayne Rooney is the most under-rated player in the premier league, I'm his biggest critic but no premiership eleven should be without him. He can play practically anywhere and on his day he can be a genius. No team should be without him.

Rooney would be well ahead of Suarez and Mata

Have the utmost respect for Rooney and what he's achieved but I think that's overstating it a bit. I think Rooney's a very good player playing for a very good team, but he can be quite mediocre at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Have the utmost respect for Rooney and what he's achieved but I think that's overstating it a bit. I think Rooney's a very good player playing for a very good team, but he can be quite mediocre at times.

Yeah I mean he's only gotten 34 goals in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yes, DM was a stupid place to put Yaya.

i'm used to staggering my midfield when I put up my teams, out of habit.

he'd of course be alongside Wilshere.

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah I mean he's only gotten 34 goals in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

He's a very good player, when he's at his best he gets bags of goals, so did Torres, doesn't mean he's always the best forward in the Premier League. Think a lot of players are playing better than him at the moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I'd include Suarez before Rooney. A genuine world class player. Rooney is clearly going downhill, he peaked quite early in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

what is your criteria for "the best"? theres 5 or 6 questionable ones in there for sure.

Aguero and Rooney would be well ahead of Suarez and Mata for example if your picking the best as you say it. Wilshere has had an injury plagued career and has barely played in PL terms, so has alot to prove.

Wilshere has had one (albeit long term) injury, yet has already made 79 appearances for the Arsenal first team by the age of 21. As well as being a full England international.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

DB10 wrote: »
    I'd include Suarez before Rooney. A genuine world class player. Rooney is clearly going downhill, he peaked quite early in his career.

Going downhill? 27 (his highest) goals last season. 1 in 2 games in the league this season. Real rapid decline there...

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Cech
    Rafael---Kompany---Vidic---Baines
    Toure---Ramires
    Mata
    Rooney----Silva----
    van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Hart

Johnson Kompany Vidic Baines

Fellani Toure

Mata Suarez Silva

RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

eugeneious wrote: »
    Going downhill? 27 (his highest) goals last season. 1 in 2 games in the league this season. Real rapid decline there...

Well 1 every 2 games over a full season would equate to 19, so a drop from 27 to 19 in one season, rapid decline may not be overstating it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

He's a very good player, when he's at his best he gets bags of goals, so did Torres, doesn't mean he's always the best forward in the Premier League. Think a lot of players are playing better than him at the moment.

What exactly has Torres got to do with Rooney. Torres has went rapidly downhill and Rooney has been as good as ever this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lloris

Ivanovic----Kompany---Vidic
    Baines

Wilshere
    Scholes

--Mata
    Bale

Van Persie

Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Lloris
    Zabaleta- Kompany- Shawcross- Cole
    Bale- Felliani- Yaya- Silva
    Michu
    RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Baines and evra have been more impressive then cole this season imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Nobody going with an stoke CBs despite their defensive record thus far this season? kompany vidic and toure shouldn't be in a premiership XI based on this seasons form.

My eleven would be

Begovic
    Zabaleta Evans Colocini baines
    Wilshire carrick
    Cazorla Michu Mata
    RVP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Begovic
    Johnson - Ivanovic - Shawcross - Evra
    Carrick
    Fellaini
    Suarez - Rooney - Mata
    RvP

Lloris

Ivanovic----Kompany---Vidic
    Baines

Wilshere
    Scholes

--Mata
    Bale

Van Persie

Suarez

Why is Scholes their maybe if it was last season but he is barely featured this season and has been poor when played. Also i think you have Suarez and RVP in the wrong positions. RVP is more lethal and would be wasted deeper. Suarez is better suited to dropping deeper than RVP.

Begovic

Rafael Shawcross Kompany Baines

Carrick

Fellaini Dembele

Mata Bale

RVP

Morzadec wrote: »
    Was watching this video on the BBC website
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21011347

They stressed that it was based on ability - on who was the best - not on form. So the likes of Begovic, Michu etc... would probably have to do a bit more to get into a team.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of you seem to be picking this on this seasons form but the OP was based on ability rather than form, hence the inclusion of Yaya, Kompany, Rooney etc

Ability wise

Reina - Best keeper in the Prem League, has had a poor season
    Ivanovic - Playing Centerback at the moment but has been brilliant as Right back in the last 3 seasons
    Vidic - Had his injury problem but on his day, the best in the world at Centerback
    Kompany - Had a poor season compared to last year but similar to Vidic best on the planet on his day
    Cole - World Class Left Back, Arguably the best since Maldini
    Wilshere - Best Young English Player around and would compliment Toure
    Yaya Toure - Similar to Kompany, not as good as last season but the driving force from the title winning team.
    Gareth Bale - The Best Winger in the League and still very young, if Spurs hold on to him it will be a miracle
    David Silva - A Genius of player would bring something different to the team than Bale's, Zinedine Kilbane's Kick and Run Style.
    Rooney - Love him or Loath him, the most influential player in the premier league at the moment, winner of four titles, tucked in behind RVP and supporting the midfield, can't be left out.
    RVP - Best Striker on the Planet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Cech

--Rafael---Kompany--Chico---Cole

Luiz
    Fellani----

--Suarez----Mata----Bale---

RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This thread lost instant credability when it started off
    This team is solely based on ability

And not one team on the first page has Scholes in it.....

Caveman1 wrote: »

Cech

--Rafael---Kompany--Chico---Cole

Luiz
    Fellani----

--Suarez----Mata----Bale---

RVP

Luiz has played about 4 games in cm how in the name of god could he be in the team for this year or even if talking about ability.

bullvine wrote: »
    Ability wise

Reina - Best keeper in the Prem League, has had a poor season
    Ivanovic - Playing Centerback at the moment but has been brilliant as Right back in the last 3 seasons
    Vidic - Had his injury problem but on his day, the best in the world at Centerback
    Kompany - Had a poor season compared to last year but similar to Vidic best on the planet on his day
    Cole - World Class Left Back, Arguably the best since Maldini
    Wilshere - Best Young English Player around and would compliment Toure
    Yaya Toure - Similar to Kompany, not as good as last season but the driving force from the title winning team.
    Gareth Bale - The Best Winger in the League and still very young, if Spurs hold on to him it will be a miracle
    David Silva - A Genius of player would bring something different to the team than Bale's, Zinedine Kilbane's Kick and Run Style.
    Rooney - Love him or Loath him, the most influential player in the premier league at the moment, winner of four titles, tucked in behind RVP and supporting the midfield, can't be left out.
    RVP - Best Striker on the Planet

Reina has been poor for alot longer than 1 season and ability wise Cech at his best is comfortably better than any other keeper in the league. Also RVP is the best striker in the league but not on the planet. If your going on ability how you can put Wilshere ahead of Lampard, Gerrard or Scholes.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Reina has been poor for alot longer than 1 season and ability wise Cech at his best is comfortably better than any other keeper in the league. Also RVP is the best striker in the league but not on the planet. If your going on ability how you can put Wilshere ahead of Lampard, Gerrard or Scholes.

Cech hasn't been the same since 2006. Reina is still a quality keeper whose form could return. Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes are all past their best and will not get back to anywhere near what they were in their prime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement