Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver MX 2004 with WIndows 7 Starter

Options
  • 15-01-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hiya, Has anyone tried to run Dreamweaaver MX 2004 on a netbook with only Windows 7 Starter? Want to check it will work before I go buying the netbook! Thanks, Tara

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

From Googling it looks as though it may work on windows 7 but with issues. Being honest you won't fine machines being sold with XP these days as Microsoft no longer sell it, plus major support for XP ends next year. Maybe now is the time to upgrade, MX 04 is quite old at this stage

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭brownetara

Thanks Nick, just to clarify - are you saing it won't work with Starter or with any version of 7?
    T

brownetara wrote: »
    Thanks Nick, just to clarify - are you saing it won't work with Starter or with any version of 7?
    T

Starter and ultimate are identical from a OS pov, just starter contains more restrictions (number of applications running at once, changing desktop wallpaper I think). You will likely run into issues with any version of Windows 7. You may get lucky, and with Professional upwards you can run software in Windows XP Mode (which you may find is not really that ideal for coding purposes due to possible lag, and will probably run dog slow on a netbook CPU anyways).

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭brownetara

So taking into account I am fairly budget restricted - what would you recommend
    a) go with netbook and starter and just put up with slow - i won't be doing anything majorly complicated as its only one website I'm maintaining
    b) go with a laptop and windows 7 - possibly same problem as above
    c) go with laptop and windows 8 and upgrade dreamweaver and hopefully have no issues?

I should have said, i'm not a techie at all so i've pretty basic knowlegde of all this!

Thanks, T

brownetara wrote: »
    So taking into account I am fairly budget restricted - what would you recommend
    a) go with netbook and starter and just put up with slow - i won't be doing anything majorly complicated as its only one website I'm maintaining
    b) go with a laptop and windows 7 - possibly same problem as above
    c) go with laptop and windows 8 and upgrade dreamweaver and hopefully have no issues?

I should have said, i'm not a techie at all so i've pretty basic knowlegde of all this!

Thanks, T

You'd probably want a new laptop if you need processing power, netbooks are fine for "on the go" but are akin to tablets and arn't good for big typing/coding tasks.
    As Windows 8 is now the current OS you'll probably be looking at that, then buying a new license for Dreamweaver. Do you need to use Dreamweaver? Is it your maintaining a site maintained with it? If you use it as a wysiwyg editor, then this wont help but there are plenty of free decent text editors supporting syntax highlighting. You won't have issues with Dreamweaver CS6, even on a netbook it would just be slower I would imagine

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement