Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Images not displaying in Chrome

Options
  • 15-01-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

A sizeable chunk of images on the web aren't displaying for me.

I use Chrome. Adblock plus is installed.

The error appears as a tiny page with a box around it in place of the picture. It has a little green blob at the bottom.

It looks like this:
    t64Mm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Have you disabled Adblock Plus to see if it's the cause?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

28064212 wrote: »
    Have you disabled Adblock Plus to see if it's the cause?

Doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'm pretty sure it was happening before I installed it.

I never noticed that sort of error before - normally it was either the small box with the red x in it if it couldn't load or else a box with a bunch of shapes in it if it was merely loading slowly.

I'm not even sure if it's a general computer thing or if it only happens on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm not even sure if it's a general computer thing or if it only happens on Boards.

I regularly get the same image when using Chrome (and did before I installed Adblock recently)

It often happens on Boards, but also on other sites occasionally.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you tried clearing the cache in Chrome? Do they show fine in other browsers i.e Internet Explorer?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That appears to have done it (for at least one picture that wasn't appearing anyway).

If it happens again I'll be Bach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

The same thing is happening to me, but clearing the cache doesn't solve it. Any other ideas?

Darvich wrote: »
    The same thing is happening to me, but clearing the cache doesn't solve it. Any other ideas?

Are you using any ad blockers?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Are you using any ad blockers?

Nick
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah, using Adblock Plus, but I still get the same broken images when it (and all other extensions) are disabled. Tried clearing cache, cookies etc, all to no avail.

You could try a Chrome Factory Reset to see if things improve, just first backup bookmarks etc.

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    You could try a Chrome Factory Reset to see if things improve, just first backup bookmarks etc.

Nick
    Cheers Nick. I'll try that this evening and let you know how I get on!

• Advertisement

Sorry - I could have sworn I replied again. Anyway, that didn't work I'm afraid, but thanks again for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Sorry - I could have sworn I replied again. Anyway, that didn't work I'm afraid, but thanks again for the suggestion.
    How do you connect to the internet? Do you use a custom DNS?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Run Chrome in Incognito mode, if images work then an extension is causing your problems

If that doesn't help, boot into safe mode with networking, any luck ?

advertsfox wrote: »
    How do you connect to the internet? Do you use a custom DNS?
    Using the Unblock-US service, so I'll disable it for a while and report back on my findings. Thanks!
    ASJ112 wrote: »
    Run Chrome in Incognito mode, if images work then an extension is causing your problems

If that doesn't help, boot into safe mode with networking, any luck ?
    Have tried Incognito mode before with no joy. Will try the second suggestion and let you know, thanks!

No joy with either suggestions folks, but thanks again for responding.

Just to make sure I'm not going completely mad, I'll show you a sig which always has a couple of broken img icons in it, as shown by Gbear above.

I hope G.K. doesn't mind! How does his sig appear for everyone (you might have to click on the "About Me" tab)? For me it looks like;

gksig.jpg

Weird thing is that I had a look at it in Firefox instead of Chrome, and the broken picture image icons don't appear at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

No joy with either suggestions folks, but thanks again for responding.

Just to make sure I'm not going completely mad, I'll show you a sig which always has a couple of broken img icons in it, as shown by Gbear above.

I hope G.K. doesn't mind! How does his sig appear for everyone (you might have to click on the "About Me" tab)? For me it looks like;

gksig.jpg

Weird thing is that I had a look at it in Firefox instead of Chrome, and the broken picture image icons don't appear at all :confused:
    Same for me but those links are dead:

imageshack.us/img511/156/30922.png

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

You should check out SRWare Iron, it is basically Chrome but without the privacy issues

https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

gksig.jpg

That's what should happen. Firefox uses a stricter interpretation of the HTML spec, which says that if an image can't be found, the "alt" tag should be displayed. Many images have an empty alt tag (like in this case) so FF displays nothing. Other browsers, like Chrome, show a small "broken image" placeholder, which is what you're seeing.

Are you getting the same box for images which should be working? If not, it's just normal browser behaviour

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    That's what should happen. Firefox uses a stricter interpretation of the HTML spec, which says that if an image can't be found, the "alt" tag should be displayed. Many images have an empty alt tag (like in this case) so FF displays nothing. Other browsers, like Chrome, show a small "broken image" placeholder, which is what you're seeing.

Are you getting the same box for images which should be working? If not, it's just normal browser behaviour

Okay, cool. I'm fairly sure there were other broken img icons which I could view in a new tab or different browser, but typically I can't find any of them now :rolleyes: If I do, I'll report back. If not, you can assume I was just being a noob :)

Advertisement