Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2013/2014

Options
  • 15-01-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I was wondering if anybody has heard anything about this year's postgraduate scheme? Will it be launched?

Both IRCHSS and IRCSET have always launched their schemes in late December/early January. It is already mid January now but as of yet no details are provided on the website.

It doesn't seem likely that the scheme would be suspended this year, as IRCHSS and IRCSET merged last year into IRC and were supposed to continue their funding activity this year. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Qboot wrote: »
    I was wondering if anybody has heard anything about this year's postgraduate scheme? Will it be launched?

Both IRCHSS and IRCSET have always launched their schemes in late December/early January. It is already mid January now but as of yet no details are provided on the website.

It doesn't seem likely that the scheme would be suspended this year, as IRCHSS and IRCSET merged last year into IRC and were supposed to continue their funding activity this year. What do you guys think?

Last year if I recall correctly IRCHSS launched their scheme in February, with a deadline in March sometime. So I wouldn't expect any details as of yet. They have put up a preliminary call for applications, so it is going ahead (I am not familiar with IRCSET so cannot say anything categorical about them):

http://www.irchss.ie/

If you look at the top of the page, you'll see that they have promised details & dates 'shortly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

http://www.research.ie/funding/postgraduate-funding

Seems call is out, see bottom of page.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Hellywelly

Call is due out later this week/early next week.
    There are some changes to last year but there is funding which is great!

http://www.research.ie/scheme/irish-research-council-government-ireland-postgraduate-scholarship-scheme-including-enterpris

Applicant deadline: 12 March
    Deadline for your referees: 26 March.

Also, be careful to check with your institution if they have any internal deadlines which may mean that you have to have it done earlier; last year my university (TCD) asked for everyone who was applying to send their completed applications to the Research Office for them to check. The deadline for this was some 10 days before the official deadline, so be aware!

Interesting that they have merged the IRCHSS Gov. of Ireland scheme & the IRCSET Embark programme into one... I wonder what this will mean for Arts/Humanities-type people, who tend to get squeezed by STEM subjects...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lucyw

I'm just wondering if anyone knows roughly how many scholarships are to be awarded in total this year (is this a piece of string question??). Also, can anyone tell me when the FAQs will be out and how, without attending a seminar, one can submit one's own? Cheers.

• Advertisement

lucyw wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows roughly how many scholarships are to be awarded in total this year (is this a piece of string question??). Also, can anyone tell me when the FAQs will be out and how, without attending a seminar, one can submit one's own? Cheers.

I think it will be very difficult to say how many scholarships there will be this year: the number always varied somewhat (at least in the IRCHSS scheme) and now that they've merged competitions I imagine the waters are even murkier. If it's any help, I believe last year the Government of Ireland Postgraduate scheme (IRCHSS) gave out around 100 scholarships, possibly one or two more or less than that depending on acceptances etc.

I imagine the FAQs will go up soon- possibly once the application system goes live? I imagine they've had to tweak them since this is a new format for the competition.

When you say 'submit one', do you mean a question or the application?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lucyw

I mean a question to the FAQs (thanks for your answer, by the way - the IRC website is poorly worded: 'The Council offers three scholarships...' No. The Council offers three types of scholarship. Never mind...) I attended a seminar/workshop on the IRCHSS scholarship scheme a couple of years ago in NUIG and all the questions asked there were put up on their website (all, that is, that didn't contain repetition, illogicality, etc). So I imagine, no doubt like you, that there'll be the same kind of arrangment this time but as you say, that the competition will be stiffer, and the arts and humanities are likely to be squeezed.
    Best, and thanks again,
    Lucy

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

I just checked the website there and it seems like it's still in pre-call phase - the suggested questions are up, but these are fully confirmed. I have not applied for this funding before now - I was wondering if anyone knows if the pre-call questions tend to change much or am I ok to keep working on my application using the available information?

Best of luck to everyone who is hoping to apply - I feel like it's a bit up in the air this year because of the merger, but hopefully something will come of it. Fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Is anyone submitting an application this year?

Any idea when we would hear back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

Curious as to who people put as their referees. Is it meant t be faculty or like an application and people who know you? The only one who knows me is my supervisor.

• Advertisement

Curious as to who people put as their referees. Is it meant t be faculty or like an application and people who know you? The only one who knows me is my supervisor.

I have one of my lectures who is also involved in research and would know me pretty well. I also have my manager from my part time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Flunch wrote: »
    I have one of my lectures who is also involved in research and would know me pretty well. I also have my manager from my part time job.

They should both be academic references. If you don't personally know any of the other lecturers you should consider approaching one of the lecturers in a course you did particularly well in and asking them if they would be willing.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    They should both be academic references. If you don't personally know any of the other lecturers you should consider approaching one of the lecturers in a course you did particularly well in and asking them if they would be willing.

I seen that on the form alright. But my supervisor was sent an email from the IRC stating some changes. One fo these was that only one reference needed to be academic. So going to take my chances :)

Out of curiosity, what area is everyones research in?

Im doing strategic HRM myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I seen that on the form alright.

Please don´t write ´I seen´ on your form!

According to the FAQ you can use a non-academic reference if you want. They recommend two academic references though.

One fo these was that only one reference needed to be academic. So going to take my chances :)

Considering how competitive the scholarships are, and how large a percentage the references make up of the total score, taking your chances is probably a very bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

The IRC website keeps randomly deleting segments of the application by logging out when I try to save them, must be timing itself out. So make sure you have your stuff saved on word before you save it on the IRC form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Alternatively, your proposed supervisor can be a reference also, which should carry more weight than a manager from a part time job. I'd be stunned if you of anywhere with that.

Raphael wrote: »
    Alternatively, your proposed supervisor can be a reference also, which should carry more weight than a manager from a part time job. I'd be stunned if you of anywhere with that.

I think they have to be separate from what I remember from last year.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    I think they have to be separate from what I remember from last year.

No, from this year on your supervisor can also act as a reference. That´s in the FAQs.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Hi,

Anyone having trouble logging into the IRC smart simple website application today?

Caillte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Caillte wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble logging into the IRC smart simple website application today?
    It's running extremely slow for me. I was (eventually) able to log in a few minutes ago but I can't get into my application at the moment, it's just hanging.

Everyone is frantically accessing the system as we enter the last 24 hours!

Quick question regarding supervisors. My supervisor doesn't appear on the online list. Does this mean I have to contact the research office at Trinity or can her name be added manually by me?

Well, to answer my own question. I will have to contact the research office. I wonder how long this takes.

Jaysus, I hope the website starts working again soon. Can't say I wasn't warned this would happen if things were left close to the deadline, mind.

Ive managed to get back on to the website now. Mean while I too have a similar problem Ravelleman. One of my co-supervisors is not on the list!

Oh no, the man to do this in Trinity won't be around until Wednesday. Why must Trinity be so cruel?

Put him in anyway?

The problem is that the office that updates the approved supervisor list will be closed until tomorrow. Hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow morning.

I contacted another office earlier and, naturally, they told to me to write to the wrong person, mentioned in the previous posts.

If anyone from Trinity is in a similar situation, the Research Development Office is closed until tomorrow.

This will be a last minute job. No matter how well you plan these things, something will go wrong.

• Advertisement

The IRC keeps asking for a proxy password and won't accept my details? Edit: Cancelled it and got in.

Advertisement