Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

Only after finding mine in my spam folder now. Feckin' Gmail!

Missed some pretty important emails a few times with gmail. Was prudent enough to add the irc to my mail list this time..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I'm a Luddite - does the electronic signature amount to typing the names in on the document and sending it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Our research office just told us to call in on Friday for an electronic signature. ..

should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

With a further statement that an 'electronic signature' is a scan and paste job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Just wondering if I'm correct in my interpretation of this bit:

"If you have not yet completed your academic studies as detailed in your
    application, you will supply an original, certified transcript(s) of your academic
    achievements, in hard copy, to the Council no later than 16th September 2013. "

Am I right in thinking this refers only to people who are still completing their M.A./some other course that is about to finish up? My current academic study is my PhD, as I'm in my second year, and I don't have any transcripts relating to that as yet. I've completed all the other courses mentioned in my application, so am I right in thinking this bit doesn't apply and I just have to send off the one transcript of all my results in my various qualifications to date?

I'd agree with you on that.

I think that it's just a cover-all for transcripts so people don't assume that they only want them for completed degrees. If you didn't mention any results relating to the PhD then you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

After the disappointment of not getting funding from the Irish Research Council, I just received funding from DCU today to do my PhD. Delighted :D

bren2001 wrote: »
    After the disappointment of not getting funding from the Irish Research Council, I just received funding from DCU today to do my PhD. Delighted :D

Nice one, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 FanillaIce

Any Trinity students here who have been offered IRC scholarships? Have any of you had any contact from Trinity about the scholarships? I am a current Trinity PhD student who has been offered funding for the rest of my PhD but have received no correspondence on the subject from Trinity unlike many of you who seemed have had contact from your institutions.

Also has anyone got confirmation on whether we just type our names (and that of our supervisor etc) into the form and send it off to accept the offer or whether we need some sort of fancy electronic signature?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

FanillaIce wrote: »
    Any Trinity students here who have been offered IRC scholarships? Have any of you had any contact from Trinity about the scholarships? I am a current Trinity PhD student who has been offered funding for the rest of my PhD but have received no correspondence on the subject from Trinity unlike many of you who seemed have had contact from your institutions.

Also has anyone got confirmation on whether we just type our names (and that of our supervisor etc) into the form and send it off to accept the offer or whether we need some sort of fancy electronic signature?

Thanks!

I received no direct contact about it from Trinity, although it was later acknowledged in an email from my school office, albeit after I mentioned it.

Email your school office about it as you'll need to find the relevant college official who signs it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Thanks!

My uni appear to be advocating the scan, copy & paste option, so that's what I'm doing. I can't see how that could be unsatisfactory for the IRC, so probably the best way to go!

Thanks!

Have mailed them on this so will cut and paste when they reply.

Just got this back:

Typed name will not suffice unfortunately. Scanned or embedded is fine

Indeed, scanned copy of hardcopy would be best.

Settles that then!

Thanks for checking that out K_tos, and for the advice, folks. Got cc-ed into an email to my supervisor from the contracts office in college which was asking him to fill out a number of very complex looking forms about the 'research team' etc before college will sign off on the project. My supervisor is about as Luddite as you can get so really hope he can decipher them and manage the whole print, sign and scan thing!

Thanks for checking that out K_tos, and for the advice, folks. Got cc-ed into an email to my supervisor from the contracts office in college which was asking him to fill out a number of very complex looking forms about the 'research team' etc before college will sign off on the project. My supervisor is about as Luddite as you can get so really hope he can decipher them and manage the whole print, sign and scan thing!

Must say, for an organisation that expects applications to be near on perfect- the lack of comprehensive information is "surprising" to be polite about it- as for Research Offices- it seems beyond idiocy to keep them in the dark on so much information when they are in such a central position to the process...

4 weeks to get transcripts organised- knew for weeks I should have organised it and still left it till the last minute. It'll make for a jumpy few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

So UL decided to mess up their email system. Now I can't check them to see if my supervisor or the IRC has emailed me

Jester252 wrote: »
    So UL decided to mess up their email system. Now I can't check them to see if my supervisor or the IRC has emailed me

contact IRC and ask them to mail it to a different address maybe? worth a shot if nothing else. 1 email to my supervisor, 1 phonecall and no reply to either- gonna be another long weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Having a bit of a problem and I guess it's not really an IRC thing as such. But anyway, they want your electronic signature, as well as those of the mentor and someone in the research office. The research people have said that once mine and the mentors are on it, to send it to them and they'll forward the lot on to the IRC.

Which is handy enough, but how do you generate an electronic signature? From what I can gather, typing in your name wont suffice. Do you really have to write a signature, scan it, and then have it there to drop into documents? (That's what my mentor's signature looks like)

Bit of a pain in the arse, to be honest I would find it handier to do it the old fashioned way (which you have to do in a couple of weeks anyway)

It's not that hard. You just have to get the document signed, something you have to do anyway, and then scan it before you send it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

Still havent received any info :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It's not that hard. You just have to get the document signed, something you have to do anyway, and then scan it before you send it off.

Thing is I'm in Dublin, but the people who need to sign it are in Cork. So, like I say, I have an electronic signature from my mentor already. Then I have to put one in, then send it to the research office and that's it as far as I'm concerned. So, if I drop in my mentor's signature, then print it, sign it, scan it, and send it, will that do the job? Would have thought the mentor's signature would be banjaxed by then. Anyway it's only a minor issue, I'm sure it'll be grand.

Ten working days is actually quite short to get signatures from people when its summer time and supervisors etc could quite legitimately be abroad on annual leave. Which I worry is the case with mine...

I really hope that after all this work I won't lose my scholarship because my supervisor doesn't check his email in time to send a signed and scanned copy back to me....Surely there would be some leniency in such a case? I am sure that I can the hard copy all signed and sent off before the 16th September, its just the intitial deadline that's worrying me.

Ten working days is actually quite short to get signatures from people when its summer time and supervisors etc could quite legitimately be abroad on annual leave. Which I worry is the case with mine...

I really hope that after all this work I won't lose my scholarship because my supervisor doesn't check his email in time to send a signed and scanned copy back to me....Surely there would be some leniency in such a case? I am sure that I can the hard copy all signed and sent off before the 16th September, its just the intitial deadline that's worrying me.

Have a dread that I'm in the same boat- also, if someone is abroad, scanning could become problematic in and of itself. Wonder if there is a contingency on this or is the first cull for the reserve list to be activated..

It would seem awfully cruel to lose our scholarships because of something like this! There must be some contingency for people being away, it being summer and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

Scan app on the iphone is a great job, if ur supervisors are away u cud get them to scan their signature with it and then email it to you. I got one called turbo scan which works great, just paste it in over the word document then and jobs a good one.

Scan app on the iphone is a great job, if ur supervisors are away u cud get them to scan their signature with it and then email it to you. I got one called turbo scan which works great, just paste it in over the word document then and jobs a good one.

Cheers for this- handy out. Even if my fella is away he can fax it and I can scan with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

I was terrified that m supervisor was abroad (she is on leave for the month of August and often travels during her holidays). Thankfully she is in Ireland and I'm driving the 45mins and back to her house this evening to get her signature. Scan in work tomorrow and email then... Phew, and this is my two weeks off where I SWORE I wouldn't got near the uni or my emails!! Still, all for a good cause!

I do agree that ten days is a short turn around considering a lot of academics take leave in August. However, I'm sure that my second supervisor or at a push, HoD could have signed for now, with my first supervisor signing the hard copy in September.

Alls well that ends well though...

I was terrified that m supervisor was abroad (she is on leave for the month of August and often travels during her holidays). Thankfully she is in Ireland and I'm driving the 45mins and back to her house this evening to get her signature. Scan in work tomorrow and email then... Phew, and this is my two weeks off where I SWORE I wouldn't got near the uni or my emails!! Still, all for a good cause!

I do agree that ten days is a short turn around considering a lot of academics take leave in August. However, I'm sure that my second supervisor or at a push, HoD could have signed for now, with my first supervisor signing the hard copy in September.

Alls well that ends well though...

Got mine sorted this morning-after a weekend of sleepless nights thinking I was back to square one. I did contact the IRC about head of dept. stepping in and didn't get totally shot down with an email today to say they were checking out whether it was possible so if anyone is in the boat of no signature, looks likely they'll play ball..

• Advertisement

Just got this for anyone still having email issues:

Dear all,

Due to difficulties many applicants have reported with our email dated 6th August being classified as spam, the deadline for the submission of the electronic version of your award acceptance form has been extended to close of business on Wednesday 28th August.

If you have any queries on the award acceptance process please email postgrad@research.ie. Please note that an FAQ document will be posted to the Council website on Wednesday 14th August dealing with some of the common queries received to date.

Kind regards,

Irish Research Coucil

Advertisement