Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thewhitepele

Anyone e-mailed in their acceptance form yet? Get any sort of acknowledgement or response?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

Anyone e-mailed in their acceptance form yet? Get any sort of acknowledgement or response?

Research office sent mine and cc'd me on the mail. was going to ask if there had been a confirmation but I take it from this that there wasn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

I got no confirmation, which is frustrating because I'm worried now that it didn't send. Seriously considering emailing again 'in case'because of the changed date just to make sure they actually have it! This whole process had made me super neurotic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

I got no confirmation, which is frustrating because I'm worried now that it didn't send. Seriously considering emailing again 'in case'because of the changed date just to make sure they actually have it! This whole process had made me super neurotic!!

Not to worry anyone but I did get a confirmation, just a quick reply from Una Daly an executive officer from the IRC saying "Received with thanks".

But I sent the email acceptance myself so maybe that's why.

Will fire off a mail on Monday myself to them just to make sure they have it- would have made more sense to upload it to the online system, but still all minor issues..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Bit off topic to the rest of the posts going on here, but anyone who was unsuccessful in the past, how long did it take for them to send out 'feedback' or well the scores for each individual section. Doesn't really matter for me as I am too far into my PhD to actually apply again but would still just be curious.

I asked this before as well and got no reply, so maybe someone now following this may know - at the end of the application we had to tick say whether or not we were ok with our applications being made available to other 'funding agencies or enterprise partners'. I can't find any information about this on their website, which agencies do they speak of and is this actually done? I've never heard of anyone getting funding in this way.

Bit off topic to the rest of the posts going on here, but anyone who was unsuccessful in the past, how long did it take for them to send out 'feedback' or well the scores for each individual section. Doesn't really matter for me as I am too far into my PhD to actually apply again but would still just be curious.

I asked this before as well and got no reply, so maybe someone now following this may know - at the end of the application we had to tick say whether or not we were ok with our applications being made available to other 'funding agencies or enterprise partners'. I can't find any information about this on their website, which agencies do they speak of and is this actually done? I've never heard of anyone getting funding in this way.

If my memory serves, I got mine about 4 weeks after the first failed attempt and it was complete b*ll**ks! It's "feedback" in the loosest sense, each section graded by number with no indication as to how they actually assessed it etc etc, I got a 12 out of 20 for my suitability with institution and supervisor, neither of which changed the second time around but i'm presuming it was ranked higher to say I got the overall award.

From my own perspective, I did read into the fact that I didn't score too low as a case of fix the major flaws in the application and you might have a chance again, but if expecting a detailed breakdown- you won't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

For the postgraduate I never got feedback the first time, and failed the second time and for feedback which was of no use as I couldn't apply again. The feedback was internally contradictory ans worthless anyway. For the post doc last year the feedback arrived in October I think. Not all that useful since the person essentially said I was working in an over stocked area. This is simply incorrect and having applied again in the same area and gotten it (with a far better application) was obviously nonsense. So not too helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CuriousCat13

Another rather random question (slightly off-topic).
    This was my first year applying for an award and I've been put on the reserve list.
    Obviously I'm not holding my breath, but was just wondering if anyone knows anything about how the reserve list works?
    Also with the submission deadline on acceptance/refusal of awards being shifted to the 28th, does that mean I shouldn't expect to hear any update until after then?
    I'm away on a research project for a month from the 29th, so won't be in contact with the university office unless in an emergency!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Has anyone from Trinity heard from Research and Innovation? I'm trying to work out what the status of my application is. As far as I know no email acceptance has been sent yet. I gave in a form to be signed but have yet to receive any word on whether they want me to send it myself or not. I emailed them but received no response. I also called several times this afternoon but no one answered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

Just spoke earlier with Una from IRC on the phone - I resent my form beçause of no confirmation email, and still didn't get confirmation. They said that they are not routinely returning a confirmation email, only to people who requested, and that they got both my emails safely.

I was really worried, and said I'd post here in case anyone is having similar anxieties!

Unfortunately it is my first year applying and don't know anything about feedback or the reserve list - sorry I can't help.

Just spoke earlier with Una from IRC on the phone - I resent my form beçause of no confirmation email, and still didn't get confirmation. They said that they are not routinely returning a confirmation email, only to people who requested, and that they got both my emails safely.

I was really worried, and said I'd post here in case anyone is having similar anxieties!

Unfortunately it is my first year applying and don't know anything about feedback or the reserve list - sorry I can't help.

Thanks- to be honest giving a confirmation email is nothing more than good practice- will be emailing her tomorrow for mine so :rolleyes:

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Has anyone from Trinity heard from Research and Innovation? I'm trying to work out what the status of my application is. As far as I know no email acceptance has been sent yet. I gave in a form to be signed but have yet to receive any word on whether they want me to send it myself or not. I emailed them but received no response. I also called several times this afternoon but no one answered.

Not Trinity, but UCC research office CC'd me on the mail they sent- suggest you insist they do the same. Also, I would contact the IRC and seek a confirmation mail- could get v messy if they say they didn't get it but you have a mail that says you did..

Even after I insisted I wanted to send the mail myself I was informed they would CC me- such paternalism is seriously unnecessary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Is anyone applying for the new round of funding with the employment based scheme? How do you go about contacting the employment partner?
    Any advice on this application by successful candidates would be most appreciated!

k_tos wrote: »
    Not Trinity, but UCC research office CC'd me on the mail they sent- suggest you insist they do the same. Also, I would contact the IRC and seek a confirmation mail- could get v messy if they say they didn't get it but you have a mail that says you did..

Even after I insisted I wanted to send the mail myself I was informed they would CC me- such paternalism is seriously unnecessary!

In the end it was easier to contact the IRC about it than Trinity. I received an automated reply about 3 minutes after my query so it seems that everything is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cmario

Hi everybody!

At the moment I'm on the reserve list for postdoc fellowships this year. I was wandering if anybody from the reserve list got notification from IRC that they were accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sparkles101

cmario wrote: »
    Hi everybody!

At the moment, I'm on a reserve list for postdoc fellowships this year. I was wandering if anybody from reserve list got notification from IRC that they were accepted?

I'm exactly the same! The last email said it would inform us if there was a change in our status so I guess if we hear nothing in the next two hours we didnt get it...

Glad I'm not the only one, sitting by the computer. Fingers crossed we get word shortly!

Anybody receive an email?

No, just wanted to ask the same :-(

• Advertisement

Its the lack of communication, that's annoying. You'd just like a definitive answer, rather than having to presume..

Its the lack of communication, that's annoying. You'd just like a definitive answer, rather than having to presume..

Definitely, I don't know why it's so hard just to send an e-mail with the answer "sorry, you didn't get it". When it's like this you don't know if they again have some problems with emails so you can expect some answer in a couple of days or this is definitely it. I just hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lfqnic

You poor buggers, you must be demented. Best of luck to you!

I got it!!!
    Just received an e-mail to verify that I'm still in a position to get the grant.

What about the others?

Huge congrats cmario!
    I got an email as well offering me the position!
    Delighted and in shock at the mo! :D

Congrats to you too!!
    I'm also shocked. I couldn't move for ten minutes :D
    Still can't believe it.

Ha! I'm willing to forgive the IRC everything now! All the panicking finally paid off!

Definitely! I think I lost nerves for the next three lifetimes, but as you said - it paid off!!

Ha! I'm willing to forgive the IRC everything now! All the panicking finally paid off!

Well done.

• Advertisement

Well done...haven't been following this thread for a while but nice to see others got some good news:)

Advertisement