Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Trinity will be 17th October, I believe. It's normally the third Thursday of the month, although someone may well correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Oh, it didn't even occur to me that it might go out with the salaries...I was imagining it being a separate thing altogether, like the local authority grants and stuff. Boo for that so, looks like it'll be the end of the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Still haven't had my award confirmed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jester252 wrote: »
    Still haven't had my award confirmed yet.

If you handed in all your necessary materials, like transcripts, acceptance form etc. then it should have been upgraded on the system from Conditional Award to Award Holder by now (they didn't send an email to that effect, you just had to check it on the system). If that hasn't been changed, have you contacted them? They should have it done a good while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

I just changed my email signature to Government of Ireland Scholar! Exciting times - just checking if this is indeed the correct title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Hmm, I have Irish Research Council Scholar/Scoláire den Chomhairle um Thaighde in Éirinn?

I also have no idea if the Irish is correct:P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Historia

Has anyone received their stipend yet?? Haven't heard a word about it at UCC yet.

Historia wrote: »
    Has anyone received their stipend yet?? Haven't heard a word about it at UCC yet.

I'm in UCC as well and haven't heard anything. Have found HR to be friendly, but not too proactive about helping. My contract was at Research Accounts (whatever that is) two weeks ago, and twice I've went in to ask about getting paid this month, both times I was told, simply, "we have your number". PFO, in other words. Quite anxious though, and living on savings at the moment, so not sure what I'd do if I didn't have those savings.

It gets paid out with the rest of the payroll. In the case of Trinity it's normally the third Thursday of the month, so I'd imagine UCC would be similar.

---

On another note, has anyone worked out how to make use of our expenses? I'd like to buy a computer for my desk in college.

UCC actually pays out through their Accounts Payable Department rather than Payroll (so the Fees Office told me today) and it hasn't been processed through them yet which is worrying considering its halfway through October now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 smurac86

If the first year scholarship payments are processed at the same time as the 2nd and 3rd year payments (which I would assume they are) we could all be waiting a lot longer than the end of Oct.

Anyone who is already a scholarship recipient will know that the progress reports were sent out 2/3 months later than usual. Presumably these will all have to be processed before payments are made. I know as someone in the 3rd year of receiving the scholarship, I am anticipating a wait until Nov/Dec!!!

Does anyone else have any info that would (hopefully!!) dismiss my pessimism?

I am a third year as well. I rang the IRC just as the progress reports were being handed in (25th September) just to ask would this delay the payment so I could plan ahead and they assured me it wouldn't and that they knew it was their own mistake that these were late.

But still haven't heard anything from them regarding the payment being released and I know that my fees haven't been paid to UCC yet.

Well that’s reassuring (kind of!). Won’t be happy until I see it in my account tbh. Also, don’t we usually get an email around now or before to say ‘we have recommended your scholarship continue.’ I for one haven’t received this yet and if payment is to be made at end of the month……..

I emailed the IRC asking would we get that email confirming our progress report was OK this time and I was told:

'Is it not the procedure, we will be in contact if there are any issues or concerns raised.'

Now that you mention it, think I've only received that email once over the years. Better off not hearing anything then. Just hope its there when I check the balance next week.

Any one get any update yet? Nothing for me yet and my fees have yet to be paid so......

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

I was told by my accounts office that my funding has been cleared and I should get paid at the end of this month with the rest of the payroll.

Maybe talk to your supervisor and make sure he/she has put in the necessary documentation with the research office and the accounts team.

I still haven't heard a thing. I presume with second and third year awardees it just depends how long it takes for your progress report to be read and signed off on. I know that no one in UCC has had their money paid as of today.

Just received an email that money is at UCC and being processed. However was notified that:

'Please note that IRC have changed their method of payment from twice a year to quarterly, so the first instalment that you will receive will be €4,000. Please note that we were unaware of this change until we received the payment from IRC.'

First I'd heard of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

If in UCC- a P3 (payroll) and an F1 form must be completed and also a scholarship exemption form- no one seems to have a clue and caused me and others no end of hassle over the last week and a bit.
    Historia wrote: »
    you will receive will be €4,000.

I was under the impression it was monthly, e.g. 1,300 until also informed of this...would prefer it monthly, budgeting isn't a strong point!

• Advertisement

k_tos wrote: »
    If in UCC- a P3 (payroll) and an F1 form must be completed and also a scholarship exemption form- no one seems to have a clue and caused me and others no end of hassle over the last week and a bit.

I was under the impression it was monthly, e.g. 1,300 until also informed of this...would prefer it monthly, budgeting isn't a strong point!

In UL the payment is received through a monthly installment of €1,333 at the end of each month. I assumed every university did this, interesting to see that some people are getting big bulks of money at a time, I definitely prefer the monthly system, €4,000 would b dangerous in my bank account!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

My first installment (NUIM) was 1,333, so the college must get the 4k and dispense accordingly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Timmi

Just wondering whether anyone had received feedback yet, or knew when it was due? I thought we'd get it in September. It would be good to have it for help with thinking about future applications.

All the new grant holders I know have already received their feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

Timmi wrote: »
    Just wondering whether anyone had received feedback yet, or knew when it was due? I thought we'd get it in September. It would be good to have it for help with thinking about future applications.

Got mine- made for some interesting reading. E.g. the suitability of me, institution and supervisor was 8 points higher than the exact same criteria last year. God knows how they assess it but that seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Anyone know how strict the '2.1 or better' criteria is for an IRC postgrad application? Considering grade inflation an argument could be made that a BSc 2.2 in the 90's is equivalent to 2.1 these days...or does that stink of desperation :D. Alternatively, will the IRC consider a projected result?

Sklarker wrote: »
    Anyone know how strict the '2.1 or better' criteria is for an IRC postgrad application? Considering grade inflation an argument could be made that a BSc 2.2 in the 90's is equivalent to 2.1 these days...or does that stink of desperation :D. Alternatively, will the IRC consider a projected result?

I don't think they take grade inflation into account, since nobody officially acknowledges that it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

I don't think they take grade inflation into account, since nobody officially acknowledges that it exists.
    Yep, it seems to be the elephant in the room alright. Guess I should have done the PhD in the 90's....or better still gotten a 2.1 :rolleyes:. Her's hoping that they accept projected grades and that the projection works out!!!

When I applied I hadn't completed my masters, nor did I make any mention of projected grades. I just said that I was doing one and that was that.

• Advertisement

I was still in my undergrad when I applied so I just put down by current grades and a (optimistic) projected overall grade. I didn't achieve the projected grade but I was still high enough to qualify.

They say a 1.1 or high 2.1 but I have been told that they give out very few to people without a 1.1, and a high 1.1 even at that.

Advertisement