Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

• Provide a description of plans for the acquisition of new knowledge and skills - - - - - WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

After 5 offices, multiple 'out of office' replies and copious swearing (to myself, I might add) I have sorted everything out.

Now we just need the website to run properly!

I have rang the IRC about the web site and they know about the problems and they are being looked at the moment. They don't know yet about possible extensions to the deadline.

This seems to happen every year. Ideally we'd all have it submitted days in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

From the IRC website:

Important Online Application information:
    • (UPDATED 14.47) Smartsimple are still experiencing some technical issues with the application system. Our technical staff are looking at the situation and we expect that the problem will be rectified shortly. We will update this notice as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

They've just updated the site again:

• In light of the technical issues which were experienced with the Smart Simple online application system today the deadline for receipt of applications to the Postgraduate Scholarship has been extended to exactly 5pm (GMT) Thursday 14th March 2013.
    • The deadline for referees and mentors and closing date for endorsement remain the same
    • We apologise for any inconvenience caused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Huh, I might actually get to track down my supervisor and see if he'll sponsor me by then. Although if it's this hard to get a hold of him now...

Ravelleman wrote: »
    This seems to happen every year. Ideally we'd all have it submitted days in advance.

I submitted "days in advance" and the system still didn't work for me. Emails to referees weren't generated, etc. Not my fault...

I agree that it's better to submit in advance, but one shouldn't have to, they should have implemented a working system that could do what it is supposed to do...

Tá sé sin ar feabhas Frank.

Maithú

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

Hi guys,

Has anyone had a similar problem to me? Was able to add my 2 supervisors to the draft application, but now that I go to submit it, it tells me that I have too many supervisors! Anyone know a way around this? I've emailed them but no response so far.

• Advertisement

Regarding the Gender Dimension, is it obligatory to include a report on this? My project does not deal with any kind of gender issue - it's about Spanish politicial ideology in the 1920s - nor does it involve the collection of any data, any kind of experimentation etc.

Edit: Christ, you do have to...

The website is still down...

Ravelleman wrote: »
    The website is still down...
    You can get in through this link

Thanks. I tried it last night and it didn't work. Now it's running perfectly. Huzzah!

Latest update:

• (UPDATE 12.42pm, 12th March) The technical issues which were experienced with the Smart Simple online application system have now been resolved and users should experience no slow down.
    • If users see a notice “we are in maintenance mode” they are advised to clear their cache from their browser and navigate to the usual URL with .ie at the end.
    • In addition, you may be asked to use a '.biz' extension rather than a '.ie' extension.
    • Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications to the Postgraduate Scholarship scheme has been extended to exactly 5pm (GMT) on Thursday 14th March 2013.
    • The deadline for referees and mentors remains exactly 5pm (GMT) on Tuesday 26th March 2013.
    • The closing date for endorsement by the research office of the proposed host institution remains exactly 5pm (GMT) on Tuesday 9th April 2013.
    • The Research Council apologises for any inconvenience caused but these technical issues were beyond our control
    • THE POSTDOCTORAL GUIDE FOR APPLICANTS IS AVAILABLE.

Beyond their control? Somebody must be be to blame for this mess...

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

That website broke my heart over the last few days! However, the extension means I might be the most organised for a deadline ever. Just doing the final edits today, getting my reference list together and hope to submit tomorrow.

Quick question - how much detail are people including in the section under education? I am detailing transferable skills and list of subjects studied. Does that sound like too much or not enough?

Best of luck everyone - it is hard to consider the highly competitive nature of this award thinking of all the work everyone is putting in. But someone has to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DiffidentDuck

In. Sheesh! Did not expect to work so hard for it. As far as educational details are concerned, I kept things to a minimum. Essential and pertinent achievements and grades from university.

Well, mine´s in. Now to move on with my life.

Naydy wrote: »
    Has anyone had a similar problem to me? Was able to add my 2 supervisors to the draft application, but now that I go to submit it, it tells me that I have too many supervisors! Anyone know a way around this? I've emailed them but no response so far.
    Did you hear back from them in the end? I haven't submitted it yet and I've two supervisors also, so I'm just curious if the problem you were having was fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

That was pretty tough. Best of luck to everyone!

Will be a long wait to find out in July. Any chance the results will come out earlier than that??

• Advertisement

Hovering over the submit button and very tempted to give a last proofread in the morning.

I think it might be time to actually, you know, work on my PhD again.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Just submitted mine!

Proof-read for any "I seen" type disasters.

Best of luck everyone :)

Done gone and moving on.

To a bottle of wine and a few buns...back to PhD land in the morning...

Best of luck all - does anyone know when the results will be announced?

Why was i under the impression that the abstract field was 200 words only. Looking at it today its 350.

Done gone and moving on.

To a bottle of wine and a few buns...back to PhD land in the morning...

Best of luck all - does anyone know when the results will be announced?

IRCHSS website says July. Thought it would be sooner!

If you look at threads from previous years they tend to send out the letters earlier than they originally state. Although that could, of course, change this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hollybibley

Does anyone know the process for getting the applicaiton endorsed by the research office?

The closing date for endorsement by the research office of the proposed host institution remains exactly 5pm (GMT) on Tuesday 9th April 2013.

I know in previous years they stamped the hard copy before submission but I'm not sure how it works with the online system.

Done,

Just clicked submit. Good luck to all.

Caillte

Caillte wrote: »
    Done,

Just clicked submit. Good luck to all.

Caillte

Same to you!

Just wondering if many people are going for the Enterprise Partnership Scheme?

• Advertisement

Not this time around bumble bee. If this isnt successful i may be able to next time.

Advertisement