Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

Has anyone who has submitted for the postgraduate Government of Ireland scholarship not received a confirmation email?

As far as I can tell I have submitted my application correctly, however no confirmation email has been sent. Having sent a quick query to the support staff they've said that I should have received one and that they've forwarded my query to their technical team...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

I got the confirmation email, but that's when all the other technical glitches showed up (their fault)...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 purplemonkeys

Caillte wrote: »
    Why was i under the impression that the abstract field was 200 words only. Looking at it today its 350.

Because it was 200 in the indicative questions thing. Just like the dissemination plans went from 200 to 400 and I only noticed today when I was submitting my application. I have to say I'm a bit horrified at how messy this process has been. And did anyone look at that gender in research powerpoint - wtf was the tortilla in space thing about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 purplemonkeys

This --->

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

I think the whole thing was just a presentation that someone went to/gave. I presume the speaker would have told a story about it. Personally I think its a load of BS especially considering I work in chemistry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Whats chemistry got to do with it? Im lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

^^ The gender dimension... It's a pain to have to write the report even though your research has no gender element in it. Some aspects of chemistry surely don't even involve humans, let alone women.

Oh I get ya :)

What about chemistry between two people ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

Anyone experience any problems with referees being contacted by the smartsimple system?

I'm getting slightly paranoid- damn funding applications!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

k_tos wrote: »
    Anyone experience any problems with referees being contacted by the smartsimple system?

Yes, still not fixed despite much contact with the IRC about it, they do seem to be trying though...

• Advertisement

smeedyova wrote: »
    Yes, still not fixed despite much contact with the IRC about it, they do seem to be trying though...

Great- will have to start making contact with referees and IRC- sick of both at this stage! no notification on IRC website to state there might be an issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Best of luck to all those who have applied this year. As someone who is in the early stages of research for my PhD, I have some queries that hopefully people can assist me with.

I will be officially registered with a UK university as I research my PhD. To apply for IRC funding, does one have to be registered with an Irish university?

Even though I will be registered with a UK university (in England), I will be living and conducting all my research here in Ireland, as the topic relates to Northern Ireland - would this enable me to meet IRC guidelines?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm still in the process of registering for my PhD as I mentioned...

Thanks...

I will be officially registered with a UK university as I research my PhD. To apply for IRC funding, does one have to be registered with an Irish university?

Even though I will be registered with a UK university (in England), I will be living and conducting all my research here in Ireland, as the topic relates to Northern Ireland - would this enable me to meet IRC guidelines?

You cannot apply. You must be based in an Irish university. Subject matter relating to Ireland doesn't change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

One of my referees isnt seeing my application when she logs into the system but my other one and my supervisor are. anyone else having similar problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

I am. Neither my referees nor my supervisor can actually log into the system. Majorly p*ssed off. The whole system is a sham. It makes me want to drink babycham. And listen to babyshambles.
    Stupid IRC.

no problems my end- both referees and supervisor form have all been completed- problems don't appear to be across the spectrum as with last time. Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

no problems my end- both referees and supervisor form have all been completed- problems don't appear to be across the spectrum as with last time. Best of luck everyone!

Both my referees have submitted and received a confirmation email but the application is telling me only one reference has been submitted!!

Anyone have this problem??

My supervisor wasn't able to log into the system so he emailed it in as he would be away all this week. Explained the problems and I also sent an email explaining problems. Just received a response saying there are no problems their end (despite many in the Uni saying there are) and as a result if my application is not in by 5 tomorrow I will not be eligible. Both referees are uploading tomorrow. Supervisor is beyond uncontactable and I feel sick to my f*cking core.

There were similar problems last year, my supervisor was able to upload his supervisor form but not his referee form. The result was a nail biting 48 hours before they permitted, reluctantly I might add, resubmission of the forms.

My advice is to contact them again and to be blunt, be borderline vicious- they respond well to it. If your supervisor was having problems then a) the system would have logged his/her attempted login and b) any attempt to submit the form. I find it doubtful they would have checked the records to this extent- it's a technical process and admin staff would not have access to this. Hence why I would be beyond civil in my dealings with them- incidentally they wouldn't deal with me last year but had time for my professor supervisor who happened to also be head of my department. Get your director of research onto them also on your behalf.

Both my referees have submitted and received a confirmation email but the application is telling me only one reference has been submitted!!

Anyone have this problem??

I wouldn't worry- if the confirmation emails have been sent then you're ok. I would raise it with the IRC though, e.g. get confirmation that the record of the references has been added to the application on their end- otherwise it might read to them as an incomplete application?

would piss you off no end also the way supervisors and referees leave it until the absolute last moment to submit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

I am having a minor nervous breakdown - neither have completed their submission despite their assurances it would be done over the weekend. One of them is my supervisor as well, so that's not confirmed either. I am absolutely going out of my mind and there's NOTHING I can do.

I am having a minor nervous breakdown - neither have completed their submission despite their assurances it would be done over the weekend. One of them is my supervisor as well, so that's not confirmed either. I am absolutely going out of my mind and there's NOTHING I can do.

Do you know they definitely have not submitted? As I mentioned earlier, my application status says incomplete although both referees and supervisor have submitted.

Not a great setup they have tbh.....

It says 0 submitted, but 1 in preparation (that's my supervisor who is working on it right now). The other guy....fingers crossed he wasn't plamásing me on the phone this morning when he said he was doing it tonight.

Like I said, I'm about to have a nervous breakdown - last minute people - I just can't handle it!!

Extra referee has submitted (after a sleepless night with me worrying about it) - first referee is in process (but I know she is working on it, she's my supervisor who can be a bit last minute-y but always gets there and is ALWAYS excellent).

So PHEW!

Extra referee has submitted (after a sleepless night with me worrying about it) - first referee is in process (but I know she is working on it, she's my supervisor who can be a bit last minute-y but always gets there and is ALWAYS excellent).

So PHEW!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

would piss you off no end also the way supervisors and referees leave it until the absolute last moment to submit!
    Ah now, in fairness, when did you submit your application, because everyone I know who applied send their bit in at the last minute. Can hardly blame references/supervisors for doing the same.

Raphael wrote: »
    Ah now, in fairness, when did you submit your application, because everyone I know who applied send their bit in at the last minute. Can hardly blame references/supervisors for doing the same.

I agree. They have lives too.

Raphael wrote: »

Thankfully I had no issue this year- but I do know what it's like to deal with a supervisor who leaves it until the last minute to submit and have to deal with IRCHSS, as it then was, in terms of who was at fault.

Thankfully I had no issue this year- but I do know what it's like to deal with a supervisor who leaves it until the last minute to submit and have to deal with IRCHSS, as it then was, in terms of who was at fault.

No looking back now... Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement

Just got my transcript of result to my college at the last minute. Pure hell trying to get them off the last college.

Advertisement