Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Baldlydrawnboy

apparently last year the letters went out on july 16th or 17th - I asked a friend who applied last time around, and that's the timescale we should be expecting. definitely no point in torturing each other for another couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cartwheel_

Will we only be told by letter do you think? I'm going to be in America and really don't want any of my family to read it before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

cartwheel_ wrote: »
    Will we only be told by letter do you think? I'm going to be in America and really don't want any of my family to read it before me!

Would imagine this remains the case- same as last year. Might be IRC now but can't imagine it would be any different- thats not to say I haven't been checking the online system at least twice a day to see if they've changed my status from ready for review to the holy grail of award holder :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

Ktos has the date and time changed on your application status?

Looks like mine was last updated April 12th at 6am which isnt very comforting!

Ktos has the date and time changed on your application status?

Looks like mine was last updated April 12th at 6am which isnt very comforting!

Mine was last modified on the 29th of April. My guess on this was that it had been downloaded by the international assessor/peer review- if I recall the process correctly ..

Date itself could mean anything- yours was so great that it's been passed at an early stage or mine was so great it passed in a second round or they left mine later with the masses of rejection- no way of knowing!

Could also be the size of discipline/sub-discipline they have to get through.. either way I wouldn't worry about it...nothing beats mine saying "award holder" before the actual review process had begun only to be told it was a clerical error with much apologies- thankfully I didn't get ahead of myself and do something crazy like breathe a sigh of relief that I actually got it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Mine was modified on 26th April so we're all in the same boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Baldlydrawnboy

29th April for me- am also relieved to hear I'm not the only one obsessively checking the website twice a day! Oh well, just another month to torture ourselves... Hey, it's a quality procrastination device to spend time away from the thesis, right? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

I just logged in. I can't see any "last modified" date. Where are you all seeing this? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

smeedyova wrote: »
    I just logged in. I can't see any "last modified" date. Where are you all seeing this? Thanks!
    When you log in click on Submitted Applications, then click the Print(PDF) link and it's on the bottom right of the first Application Details box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Thanks, Frank. Last modified 29 of April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

No problem smeedyova. 26/04 for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

26th for me too! I keep forgetting about IRC only to be reminded by others and having a mini heart attack :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21 purplemonkeys

Mine is the 29th April... these next few weeks are gonna be torture!

Mine is the 29th April... these next few weeks are gonna be torture!

thankfully I'm presenting at a conference next week and deadlines coming up to distract myself with...would imagine it'll be like the lotto for those of us that get it- I know how to do broke, don't think I remember how to do worry-free comfortable!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I have 04/04 for my last updated so that not a good sign. Also the fact that I don't have the conformation for my EPS supervisor form like I do with the supervisor and references.

k_tos wrote: »
    thankfully I'm presenting at a conference next week and deadlines coming up to distract myself with...would imagine it'll be like the lotto for those of us that get it- I know how to do broke, don't think I remember how to do worry-free comfortable!:eek:

You know it would be like winning the lotto - I can't even start my PhD if I don't get any funding :( I had an interview for a smaller scholarship last week and I totally bombed the interview. Should hear tomorrow and I feel completely sick to my stomach! I really hope the results for the IRC postgrad scholarships aren't delayed cos I can't take much more waiting... I wish I could go on holiday or something to distract me! How is everyone else coping with the wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 short paragraphs

I'm not coping with the wait very well at all. Missed out on funding by 1 point last year and am entirely screwed if it doesn't come through this year. It would be so lovely not to have to worry about money for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

I just checked mine and it was last modified on 26/04 (seems around the same as everyone else?).

I was at two separate conferences in the UK last week and the week before, and I have coped with the wait by absolutely freaking the bean over those ;-). Now, I've to actually start on some writing (perish the thought) or this PhD will factually never ever, get written. I'm only 9 months in, but I'm going by publication, so I need to start churning out the papers. I have mild panic-y moments when I think of IRC, but I have a year of faculty funding (pittance, bread line, living on pasta etc etc) left, so it's not a MAD panic here. It will be if I was to go again next year...

What subject area is everyone in as a matter of interest? I'm in healthcare/history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lauraw87

I'm working on my MSc dissertation at the moment, so it's keeping me slightly distracted! Mine was also last modified on 26/4... same as most!

This is my first time applying for funding, and it was done fairly last minute so i'm still not entirely sure how it works! Even if you are not successful, do you still get your overall score?

I'm chemistry/environmental science... My project is a mix of the two! :)

Fingers crossed.. and hopefully the wait isn't too much longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pqowieuryt

Hey, I saw from this thread that last year's results were posted around the 16th or 17th July, but can anyone tell me if these were the postgrad or postdoc results? Or do both come out at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

I'm not coping with the wait very well at all. Missed out on funding by 1 point last year and am entirely screwed if it doesn't come through this year. It would be so lovely not to have to worry about money for a while.

Are you doing a phd without funding then? That must be difficult.

Im in Optics/Medical Physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 short paragraphs

Are you doing a phd without funding then? That must be difficult.

Im in Optics/Medical Physics.

More or less. I snuck in on the old local authority grant scheme before it was gutted. That's covered my fees and given me some maintenance but that's all the income I have. Got a letter last week saying the Department of Education are reassessing all grants now rather than automatically renewing them so even that might go. It's a bit stressful to say the least. But it's more annoying than anything because the least stressful part of my life right now is the actual PhD! I love my research!

I'm in literature.

pqowieuryt wrote: »
    Hey, I saw from this thread that last year's results were posted around the 16th or 17th July, but can anyone tell me if these were the postgrad or postdoc results? Or do both come out at the same time?

Postgrad were that date last year- had my first rejection. Steeling myself for the statistical probability of a second.

keep_calm_and_carry_on_hd_widescreen_wallpapers_1920x1200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sparkles101

Mine was last modified on June 19th @ 14:01 but its a post doc application. Not sure does that mean post docs are ahead or behind the post grads in the review process. Hopefully not weeks behind anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭kellyi3

Mine was last modified on June 19th @ 14:01 but its a post doc application. Not sure does that mean post docs are ahead or behind the post grads in the review process. Hopefully not weeks behind anyway!

I think the post doc call was about a month later than the post grad call so maybe that explains the later modified date. It may also have to do with the number of applications as I'd venture a guess there'd be more post grads than post docs.

At least that's what I'm saying because I applied for the post grad one myself and it hasn't been updated since April 29 and if I don't get it . . . .

Well let's just say the normally mild-mannered Bruce Banner that I usually am will have a bit of a personality change. ;)

Well it seems no postgrad application has been modified since 29th of April (according to this thread anyway). I am rapidly losing hope as I just got a letter this morning saying that I was not successful in getting a smaller research scholarship. Little tip - do not drive for 5 hours then go straight into an interview and expect to be coherent... wtf was I thinking?! :eek:

Anyway did anyone else read that the 13th of July was the postgrad results date? I have it in my head and I don't know why...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Anyway did anyone else read that the 13th of July was the postgrad results date? I have it in my head and I don't know why...

That's a Saturday. But it'll be around then anyway, if last year is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lucyshirren

Ravelleman wrote: »
    That's a Saturday. But it'll be around then anyway, if last year is anything to go by.

Has anyone seen a specific date on the website when they're out for postgrads?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lauraw87

No, I haven't seen a date! For some reason I thought i read somewhere that it was June.. But apparently not!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lfqnic

I don't think they set a particular date. When you think about it, it must be a big process and they're probably covering their backs in case something goes wrong somewhere along the line - better to keep us in suspense than field 1,000 phone calls! That said, on one of my more obsessive sleepless nights I read an old thread where people seemed to be in fairly regular contact asking for info - maybe someone should facebook them and see if they'd be willing to give a rough date? I'd not hold my breath though.

Advertisement