Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ruki

I've heard there were 31 postdocs last year for the Humanities. Of course, Elevate wasn't on offer then - just the 1 and 2 year postdocs. So, maybe around 40? (total) for the Humanities this year would make sense, as they're unlikely to want to show a bias for SET subjects by reducing the HSS-subject numbers... Similar numbers for both? I may be too hopeful.

Incidentally, am so relieved NOT to be freaking out every day, watching for post. Many thanks to the IRC for the gist of the announcement date (and the promise to announce by email). We can keep a lid on the nerves, and enjoy the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 purplemonkeys

Woodward wrote: »
    I have been informed that the results will be released by email during next week. Best of luck everybody me!

This week coming or the week beginning with 15th?!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

Had a really unsettled weekend.

Why would the results be released by email first? Im not entirely convinced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Firstly, it means immediately informing everyone, no dependence on postal delivery times.
    Second, it gives full control of when people are informed.
    Thirdly, it costs less
    Fourthly, it's more consistent with an onlin application.

Fifthly, it's not a matter of being convinced, it's what they've announced that they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Let's hope they are better at sending out e-application results than they are at receiving e-applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

Didn't see that announcement, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mjgallen

Hi folks,

The irishresearch.smartsimple page isn't letting me log on today, and doesn't seem to remember my email address when I hit the "forgot password" link - just wondering if that's happening to anyone else?

Thanks!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fifac

I wonder why they said the awards would be released for the week commencing the 15th, it makes it sound like there will be different stages of offers..or maybe they just didn't want to give an exact date in case something went wrong. I know last year there was some talk of a reserve list of sorts, but I thought they only ever did a single round of offers...does anyone know if they definitely did a second round last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

mjgallen wrote: »
    Hi folks,

The irishresearch.smartsimple page isn't letting me log on today, and doesn't seem to remember my email address when I hit the "forgot password" link - just wondering if that's happening to anyone else?

Thanks!

M

Mine checks out ok?

I logged in fine too...

• Advertisement

Think we might as well face it- it'll be either the end of this week if they want to clear their workload and enjoy next weekend in the sun or next week full stop. For me, I'm done with the anxiety- stomach flipped this morning when post arrived marked private and confidential. Hitting the library in the heat to channel some of this energy I'm wasting on worry about funding I have about a 1 in 8 chance of getting either way. Best of luck folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Baldlydrawnboy

If it's week beginning the 15th, I suspect tis staggered to allow for different dates for postgrad and postdoc apps for funding. I, like kos, agree there's no point in stressi about it- doesn't mean ill completely stop checking neurotically every time someone posts something on boards, but I'm not bothering with carrying on obsessing. Que sera sera...
    Best of luck one and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

I'd imagine they're giving themselves a one week window in order to cover themselves for any unforeseen technical difficulties that may arise

Thanks guys. And does anyone know if they did have a second round last year? I remember from last year's IRC forum a few people mentioned a reserve list, but I never heard anything official and it's not on the Research Council's life cycle document. Has anyone heard anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

fifac wrote: »
    Thanks guys. And does anyone know if they did have a second round last year? I remember from last year's IRC forum a few people mentioned a reserve list, but I never heard anything official and it's not on the Research Council's life cycle document. Has anyone heard anything about this?
    Someone posting on last year's thread got the scholarship that way (link), if you look at the subsequent posts another poster heard of someone else who was placed on the reserve list and got it that way. I haven't seen anything official about it though.

Did everyone get the email from IRC? Bit annoying that we have to log in to see the results, given how the system doesn't seem to handle a lot of traffic well....:/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 short paragraphs

I got it too. At least we know they're doing something!

Ditto on the mail- agree at least they're keeping us informed!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Autumn_Almanac

Hi All,

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now! Got the same email this morning.. But it sounds like the results will definitely be out next Monday... Now to distract ourselves for the next 6 days!

Has anyone heard an approx number of applicants this year? I'm not feeling very confident... but fingers crossed :)

Nope - haven't heard anything about that or about how many scholarships they'll be awarding. So annoying. I think it's usually around 1000 that apply, and then it used to be roughly 100 for IRCSET and 100 for IRCHSS..but who knows this year!

I wish they could give out more information - seems needless to be this secretive.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now! Got the same email this morning.. But it sounds like the results will definitely be out next Monday... Now to distract ourselves for the next 6 days!

Has anyone heard an approx number of applicants this year? I'm not feeling very confident... but fingers crossed :)

Going along with the vein of speculating that has become integral to this thread- I wonder why some of us were mailed this morning and others this afternoon.....? Postgrad/doc or successful, unsuccessful!

k_tos wrote: »
    Going along with the vein of speculating that has become integral to this thread- I wonder why some of us were mailed this morning and others this afternoon.....? Postgrad/doc or successful, unsuccessful!

Hahaha! We will all drive ourselves insane with the speculation! And that was a typo on my part.. I got my email at precisely 14:25! I wonder what that means! ;)

What discipline are you all from??

Hahaha! We will all drive ourselves insane with the speculation! And that was a typo on my part.. I got my email at precisely 14:25! I wonder what that means! ;)

What discipline are you all from??

Ok...then we're all back on the same boat (yet again)! :eek: PhD law- I don't know why!

It's almost fun speculating, isn't it?! I got my email at 14.20 - what is the meaning of this! :P

I'm in psychology/linguistics.

Well I'm in chemistry/engineering! So it's safe to say there is no direct correlation between time of email and discipline! :)

Have any of you already started your research??

Nope - hoping to start in October but it ain't happening without this funding...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

I'm in the same boat as you purplemonkeys! My supervisor told me it is very difficult to get funding in your first year even though the IRC says it doesn't discriminate!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Who Knows?

I'm gonna hack the online system - not waiting any longer!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ruki

Chances of the system crashing on Monday? I'm off to Paddy Power!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Hands up who logged in after 3pm just to see if they had made a balls of it and had made our results visible?! :D

Advertisement