Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭k_tos

This little gem is on the IRC's twitter page in response to someone stating results will be out today "@IrishResearch: @SharoneOL Its the week commencing 15th July - not necessarily the 15th"...so it's the mail vs. insider knowledge?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

k_tos wrote: »
    This little gem is on the IRC's twitter page in response to someone stating results will be out today "@IrishResearch: @SharoneOL Its the week commencing 15th July - not necessarily the 15th"...so it's the mail vs. insider knowledge?

I'm sure its the mail > tweeter, but not the kinda thing I wanted to hear this morning- My body can't take this level of stress for a few more days :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Autumn_Almanac

The tweet was a couple of days before the mail... I'd say the "week commencing" is just to allow for any problems.. So hopefully we wil be put out of our misery today!

I get a lump in my throat every time I refresh my email!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Autumn_Almanac

The tweet was a couple of days before the mail... I'd say the "week commencing" is just to allow for any problems.. So hopefully we wil be put out of our misery today!

I get a lump in my throat every time I refresh my email!!

The tweet was a couple of days before the mail...

Just spotted that! Oh we'll..time to get high on coffee to compensate for the restless night...and in turn adding to the mental imbalance...they must have had all this sorted by Friday evening...And if ye're reading this..JUST DO IT..HIT THE BUTTON!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well the mail is pretty unambiguous that an email will issue today. Good luck today everyone. Not terribly optimistic (humanities postdoc, I think they awarded about 30 of them last year total), and a little surprised how built up people are on here. It's understandable I guess, but I've just been so pessimistic that I haven't let it get to me. Until I read this thread, that is. Now I'm a ball of nerves and excitement. Damn you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Yeah its mad how worked up people are getting about this. But Its to be expected i suppose. I haven't been feel a whole lot about it considering my topic are is a bit left field in that there isn't much activity happening there at the moment. So I'm not feeling too optimistic about it.

Best of luck guys. Just checked my post there. Delighted to see a few bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 purplemonkeys

Well I believe some of us are 'worked up' because funding like this is the only way we can even start our research... I simply can't afford to start and then hope to gain funding at a later stage. I don't mean to sound bitter but my circumstances don't allow me to take such a chance. So this funding represents a huge opportunity rather than just money...

And would they please hurry up?!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Well I believe some of us are 'worked up' because funding like this is the only way we can even start our research... I simply can't afford to start and then hope to gain funding at a later stage. I don't mean to sound bitter but my circumstances don't allow me to take such a chance. So this funding represents a huge opportunity rather than just money...

And would they please hurry up?!!!!

I am eager to learn if I received funding, but I prefer them to take their time. Nothing worse than a mistake of sending a 'Successful' letter to someone due to error and then later having to tell them they don't have it. Or issues of a similar nature. Have waited months now, can wait a little longer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Who Knows?

Profile page is down....they might be uploading results :-)

• Advertisement

Who Knows? wrote: »

Not sure whether to thank you or choke you.

Falthyron wrote: »
    I am eager to learn if I received funding, but I prefer them to take their time. Nothing worse than a mistake of sending a 'Successful' letter to someone due to error and then later having to tell them they don't have it. Or issues of a similar nature. Have waited months now, can wait a little longer :P

which isn't beyond the realm of possibility...mine said "award holder" in late April- not a nice email to get back saying unfortunately it was an error..prefer them to be correct also.

Who Knows? wrote: »

would imagine it's everyone logging on to check if the results are up and slowing system down...I can login fine and no change.

which isn't beyond the realm of possibility...mine said "award holder" in late April- not a nice email to get back saying unfortunately it was an error..prefer them to be correct also.

After getting rejected last year I finally got feedback that was clearly referring to a different application, thought I had been rejected without anyone looking over it! Farcical mistake and in terms of confidentiality it was a major blunder. Turned out they had rejected me, and I got the useless feedback in the end, but it was a stressful few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

It was down about a half hour ago and now it's back up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Guillelligan

First time post-doc applicant for biblical studies. Not confident as biblical studies isn't popular and has a low rate of success in getting funding from the IRC I've heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fifac

would imagine it's everyone logging on to check if the results are up and slowing system down...I can login fine and no change.

Same. This is torturous!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DeaKat

This wait is agonising. I'm glued to my refresh button. Please let the results be soon!

This is my second application and to be honest I preferred the mail system for results.

You had a general idea as to when they were arriving but no idea the actual day- this notification of a day, although in keeping with an online application, arguably creates unnecessary stress for people. Yes we all know the odds are completely stacked against us but you manage to convince yourself that maybe, just maybe the gods will be favourable. With the post, you get a sharp short shock and move on. No real anticipation. Agree its inhumane;)

Me too. Although I would be happy if their online system was better - I think if they just gave a clear time that it would go up and then had a better system that could handle high volumes of traffic it would eliminate a lot of the stress!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Who Knows?

With the post, you get a sharp short shock and move on. No real anticipation. Agree its inhumane;)

Thanks for that, this gave me a good laugh. It captures the anticipation of all the applicants. Post would have been more humane.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 purplemonkeys

I feel sick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Pints tonight regardless? (lighten the mood a little)

I feel sick :(

Well they've f*cked off for lunch now anyway...we have a whole hour free from checking that damn system...what to do, what to do?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Javajunkie

Pints tonight regardless? (lighten the mood a little)

Name the place.

Well they've f*cked off for lunch now anyway...we have a whole hour free from checking that damn system...what to do, what to do?!

Might actually do some work...

Just kidding.

I'm just watching cat videos at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

fifac wrote: »
    I'm just watching cat videos at this stage.

I was going to post Keyboard Cat earlier.

Play the IRC out, Keyboard Cat:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

If we are doing cats and keyboards, this one is far more appropriate

• Advertisement
Advertisement