Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOWTO - Interactive Training Material?

Options
  • 15-01-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

How best to create interactive documents for tech noob? A department in my company wants to get this done but I can't dedicate many [any?] resources to it. I can give them tools but other than that, I don't have the manpower. I want to give them the best tools possible but also won't be forking out much money :)

They will have some text, mostly videos with text overlays. They want sections to shrink and grow and all that nice DHTML/AJAX things, having no idea how they work.

I can give them some software that will record the screen as video. They can then use, maybe, Windows Movie Maker to overlay text.

So any suggestions on how to do this. Currently they are trying a 30 day trial of Adobe InDesign. Sweet Jeebus this is overkill @ €800+[?].

Can anyone suggest a nice NO CODING WYSIWYG web design tool that will allow them to maybe drag/drop videos/text and create a nice web page for them?

I can supply them the websever, I just have no time to create the site.

Thanks in advance
    Keith

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Wysiwyg and web editors don't really go hand in hand ;) . Nvu is a free "drag and drop" HTML editor. Maybe design a simple template in HTML/CSS then let them use Nvu to "plug in" the content that way.
    Another way around it (my recommendation) is hosting a CMS like Wordpress (easy to use) and that will take care of the page linkings for you. Otherwise they would need to be coded in. You can get plugins for Wordpress to accept flv files for video iirc

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Wordpress, great idea. We're an ASP house so I'm going to try BlogEngine Seems to be similar, if not as feature complete.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

RangeR wrote: »
    Wordpress, great idea. We're an ASP house so I'm going to try BlogEngine Seems to be similar, if not as feature complete.

You could always look to getting PHP installed on your iis servers. Wordpress is ridiculously easy to the end user, not too sure about any asp.net alternatives, but Wordpress for idiot proof would be my number one, and I've used various others, drupal, joomla etc.

Nick

Advertisement