Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom quality?

• 15-01-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Does anyone know anything about Ripplecom in the areas slightly outside of Mullingar?

I'm moving to a place in The Downs/Killucan area and possibly a place closer, but still outside of town.

I can get 4mb Eircom in The Downs/Killucan house and they tell me that the other house can only get 3mb.

I'm a heavy user who downloads and games a lot. I also enjoy watching vids on youtube. My folks have recently discovered Netflix and enjoy streaming movies from time to time (which basically kills anything I'm doing on my computer). We also plan on finally connecting our Sky boxes up to the internet so that we can use their online services as well. There's also 3 iphones and 2 ipads between us...4 and 3 when my brother visits.

So a stable and reliable line (for gaming) with a good line speed (I'd prefer 5-8mb at least) and unlimited cap is what I'm after.

A friend in IT tells me that rural broadband isn't going to be upgraded in the near future. Satellite is rediculously expensive and gives low cap. The only thing he can think of would be Ripplecom.

Does anyone have any experience with Ripplecoms 8mb uncapped service? Do you actually get those line speeds consistently? Is it any good for gaming? How weather dependant is it?

Side note: The second house that gets 3mb from Eircom is actually on the Mullingar E50 exchange. I understand that this exchange is going to be upgraded to be fed by fiber by Easter 2013. Would this mean an increase in the line speed to this house? I know that it still won't get full speed because of the distance from the exchange, but would it maybe get 8-10 when the exchange is upgraded rather than the 20-50+ that the other houses would get?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭mossie

Greylor wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with Ripplecoms 8mb uncapped service? Do you actually get those line speeds consistently? Is it any good for gaming? How weather dependant is it?

I get around 5mb max but I am quite far from the mast and they told me I wouldn't get 8mb. Probably averages 3mb, weather doesn't seem to cause huge differences in speed. Don't do a lot of gaming but when I have it's been fine.

About Ripplecom, I think it varies from place to place depending on the previous infrastructure they took over. I'm in north Cork but have heard bad things from other parts of the country. Also support is pretty poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Does anyone know anything about Ripplecom in the areas slightly outside of Mullingar?

I'm moving to a place in The Downs/Killucan area and possibly a place closer, but still outside of town.

I can get 4mb Eircom in The Downs/Killucan house and they tell me that the other house can only get 3mb.

I'm a heavy user who downloads and games a lot. I also enjoy watching vids on youtube. My folks have recently discovered Netflix and enjoy streaming movies from time to time (which basically kills anything I'm doing on my computer). We also plan on finally connecting our Sky boxes up to the internet so that we can use their online services as well. There's also 3 iphones and 2 ipads between us...4 and 3 when my brother visits.

So a stable and reliable line (for gaming) with a good line speed (I'd prefer 5-8mb at least) and unlimited cap is what I'm after.

A friend in IT tells me that rural broadband isn't going to be upgraded in the near future. Satellite is rediculously expensive and gives low cap. The only thing he can think of would be Ripplecom.

Side note: The second house that gets 3mb from Eircom is actually on the Mullingar E50 exchange. I understand that this exchange is going to be upgraded to be fed by fiber by Easter 2013. Would this mean an increase in the line speed to this house? I know that it still won't get full speed because of the distance from the exchange, but would it maybe get 8-10 when the exchange is upgraded rather than the 20-50+ that the other houses would get?

Hi
    You mention that you are a heavy user, as you use it for gaming, etc. What kind of usage are we talking about? I ask because most ISP's will hit you if you exceed the monthly traffic limits that they set.

As for Ripplecom they are about €45pm for 8 MB and €54pm with additional phone service. Digiweb offer 30MB with anytime phone service for €49.95pm (€29.95pm for the first 3 months) with their Metro wireless package. This also comes with a monthly rolling cap of 100GB. As mentioned earlier they will punish you if you exceed this in any 1 month. Check http://www.digiweb.ie to see if your new area is covered.

Of course if UPC is available then the monthly cap is 500GB with speeds up to 150MB.

A couple of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi
    You mention that you are a heavy user, as you use it for gaming, etc. What kind of usage are we talking about? I ask because most ISP's will hit you if you exceed the monthly traffic limits that they set.

As for Ripplecom they are about €45pm for 8 MB and €54pm with additional phone service. Digiweb offer 30MB with anytime phone service for €49.95pm (€29.95pm for the first 3 months) with their Metro wireless package. This also comes with a monthly rolling cap of 100GB. As mentioned earlier they will punish you if you exceed this in any 1 month. Check http://www.digiweb.ie to see if your new area is covered.

Of course if UPC is available then the monthly cap is 500GB with speeds up to 150MB.

A couple of options.

The amount of gigs I use tends to vary. One month I'll use 5gigs, the next I'll use 100gig. Given that a single game off steam can be almost 10-20gigs it adds up very fast :(

Thanks for bringing upi Digiweb...thats definately worth looking into and their packages look very workable.

How reliable are these wireless connections though? Would I get disconnects and/or bad spikey lag/latency in games? I was always told that wireless in all its forms is the devil when it comes to gaming, but that was quite a while ago. I've been reading up on these things and it seems to be very much location dependant for ping and actual attainable speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

The amount of gigs I use tends to vary. One month I'll use 5gigs, the next I'll use 100gig. Given that a single game off steam can be almost 10-20gigs it adds up very fast :(

Thanks for bringing upi Digiweb...thats definately worth looking into and their packages look very workable.

How reliable are these wireless connections though? Would I get disconnects and/or bad spikey lag/latency in games? I was always told that wireless in all its forms is the devil when it comes to gaming, but that was quite a while ago. I've been reading up on these things and it seems to be very much location dependant for ping and actual attainable speeds.

Hi Greylor

Firstly Digiweb's Metro service is fairly solid. I have it here in Naas and the ping is low (between 10-26) and latency is also good. My speeds average between 27-29.5Meg down/0.98meg up. You can also monitor your usage levels with them (not all ISP's offer this). As you mention a lot will depend on where you live in relation to the local base station. So by all means contact Digiweb and see what they can offer.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

I'd stay well clear of Ripplecom if I were you. I'm in Longwood, Co. Meath.
    Near enough you.
    Nothing but trouble and hassle from them. Been with them well over a year now, and I've contacted them no less than 100 times regarding poor or non-existent service.

Their technical support are brutal. I think it's actually only one person working there. I should be getting 8M down, but best I've ever got is 5M. Most times I get anything from 0.5M - 2M d/l, and that's if it's up at all. Very poor service.

As for gaming, forget about it in the evenings. Ping anywhere in Ireland and you're getting about 100ms. Ping UK or Franceand you're doubling that.
    Add poor download/upload speeds to that, and you're so laggy it's unplayable.
    Around 1-2 seconds behind everyone else, jumping and skipping across the screen. Just not worth it.

As for downloading. They cap you at 70G p/m now, which is ridiculous. Anything over that, is around €0.01 a meg!

They charge me €45 p/m for this terrible service.
    As soon as some other provider comes along in the area, I'm jumping ship like a shot. I could not recommend them strongly enough. Shoddy unprofessional gansters. If anyone else is out there, please go with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement