Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nico's Italian, Dame St

Options
  • 15-01-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm a big Italian lover and Nico's is one of the places I've yet to try - can anyone recommend it?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

My dad loves it and I've heard lots of good reports. Never been myself though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I like Nico's. It's very much a retro experience, so be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Could you elaborate on "retro experience" Spurious? :) Not too sure what you mean!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I first went there about 25 years ago, From what I can see during subsequent visits over the years the menu hasn't changed much - not that that is necessarily a problem.

I used to think Prawn Cocktail was the height of luxury when I was a young thing and often order it for the craic.

Nice restaurant - reminds me more of an Italian in New York than many of the Italian restaurants here. Good food. They know their market and they serve it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Best Italian food I've had in quite a while. (one time pasta chef)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think I went here with the family for my confirmation meal :eek: ....and that wasn't today or yesterday I can tell you!

Over the years though I've heard it very highly talked of - old-style is the phrase that springs to mind. It's a place I've often meant to try.

Please report back, OP, if you do go - I'd love to hear an up-to-date review!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Like other posters I haven't been there for years. what struck me at the time was how close the tables were together, I think though that this added to the atmosphere, the food was fantastic, you've put me in the mood for trying it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ConfusedLepton

There was a guy playing the piano last time I was there (which to follow a trend was about 2 years ago). It really added to the atmosphere and the food was nice. Wouldn't want to sit too close to the piano though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

As a poster said real retro experience, like stepping back to the 80s decor wise, but still good. Old style Italian food, no messing with old recipes. Good wine list and not over the top price wise. What always amazed me was the madness of Dame street 10 ft away and still you would think you are in Italy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember going here once or twice with my family when I was a kid back in the 80s.

Nicos is also one of the oldest restaurants in Dublin. I thought it had long since closed down so I would love to go there and give it a try. Old style is often great - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I've been a few times, it's a lovely little place. Bit expensive for what you get, but i wouldn't let that put you off it.
    Having a guy play piano in the corner is a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

for italian in Dublin, I would head to La Caverna in temple Bar or the odd time Pacino's on Suffolk Street, do you reckon Nico's would be a better choice?? More authentic by sounds of things?

I love La Caverna though and its priced well but would like to try something new; it's hard to justify spending good money on a meal unless your going to be really happy and full after ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

I was there before christmas and it was lovely and reasonably priced. The piano player was a nice touch too.
    It's my parents favourite Italian and they said that it's been renovated in the last few years but to me it but still looks a tad dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

My grandfather who was Italian loved it, but it is more a New York style restaurant than Italian.

Sadderday wrote: »
    for italian in Dublin, I would head to La Caverna in temple Bar or the odd time Pacino's on Suffolk Street, do you reckon Nico's would be a better choice?? More authentic by sounds of things?
    :)

I've been to both La Caverna and Pacino's, and love La Caverna! Pacino's is alright, wouldn't go near it again though as there are so many nicer Italians!

The nicest I've ever been to is Toscana, and Russo's as well - the latter is closed now unfortunately :( Il Vicoletto is great too, the only thing that lets it down is that it doesn't do pizzas.

The Italian Connection on Talbot St is also fab.

So dying to try Nico's judging by all the responses here :D (don't think they do pizzas either do they?)

I've been to both La Caverna and Pacino's, and love La Caverna! Pacino's is alright, wouldn't go near it again though as there are so many nicer Italians!

The nicest I've ever been to is Toscana, and Russo's as well - the latter is closed now unfortunately :(

The Italian Connection on Talbot St is also fab.

So dying to try Nico's judging by all the responses here :D

ya no the funny thing is... many times i strolled passed La Caverna and never really noticed it... and it really is a gem cos they have a crackin early bird menu so ya get decent grub at a decent price and its never too full... but i dont get it- directly across the way you have luigi malones packed out... and the food is no comparison to La Caverna at all.

I suppose your close enough when your in Temple Bar to the italian quarter with a couple of italian eateries, but i'll head back to La Caverna and check out Nico's before I venture down that way

Sadderday wrote: »
    but i'll head back to La Caverna and check out Nico's before I venture down that way

You might like this for the next time you visit La Caverna: :)

http://www.dealrush.ie/deal.php?id=3654&ak=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mydealpage.ie%2F

You might like this for the next time you visit La Caverna: :)

http://www.dealrush.ie/deal.php?id=3654&ak=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mydealpage.ie%2F

HAHA, nice one sound thanks!!!

I'm STARVIN now!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 salientsix

I was first brought there many moons ago by my father, he used to go there in his youth. I brought my 17 yr old daughter there for the first time before Xmas & she loved it too. What other place has stood the test of time in Dublin over the last 30 years ? Very few I'd say.

Nicos - the mutts nutts - that is all!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Just go, it's like stepping back in time in a good way.

I haven't been in a few years but pretty sure it's not changed that much.

Asked for Grappa one night, not on the menu at the time and it was like the prodical son had come home, was on the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I have been going there since my student days in the 70s.

Still a great ambience, but the lighting was changed a few years ago - it is now a bit colder and less intimate than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

There was a guy playing the piano last time I was there (which to follow a trend was about 2 years ago). It really added to the atmosphere and the food was nice. Wouldn't want to sit too close to the piano though.

Thats my Uncle, Im a little proud right now !

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭newdigi

It was a Lebanese restaraunt (the cedar tree) before it was Nicos back in the 60s

My mother was in there a few years ago and said that the Delph was the same Delph they used in the Lebanese restaraunt at the time

Hope they haven't changed it. Want to go in and try it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

newdigi wrote: »
    It was a Lebanese restaraunt (the cedar tree) before it was Nicos back in the 60s

My mother was in there a few years ago and said that the Delph was the same Delph they used in the Lebanese restaraunt at the time

Hope they haven't changed it. Want to go in and try it now!

My parents went on their first date to Nicos, not knowing it was an italian, and they both being traditional bacon and cabbage types were disgusted!
    My mother decided to give my father another chance and 27 years later here I am haha.

Might bring her next week actually, thanks for the memory and idea OP.

Advertisement