Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options in Galway city

• 15-01-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been renting in Galway for a while and have been using the O2 'dongle' (this thing) for my home broadband, but it's never been very reliable and has been particularly slow of late.

Are there any options people would recommend for (relatively) cheap and reliable broadband? I get the basic cable TV package from UPC but don't want to upgrade to their broadband because it also comes with home phone attached (which I don't need) and costs about €69 a month in total, which is more than I can pay.

Any tips or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I'm not too sure. I have the 30MB UPC but it's 80E a month with TV so it's kind of expensive and not a great service to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Hi folks,

I've been renting in Galway for a while and have been using the O2 'dongle' (this thing) for my home broadband, but it's never been very reliable and has been particularly slow of late.

Are there any options people would recommend for (relatively) cheap and reliable broadband? I get the basic cable TV package from UPC but don't want to upgrade to their broadband because it also comes with home phone attached (which I don't need) and costs about €69 a month in total, which is more than I can pay.

Any tips or recommendations would be gratefully received.

UPC broadband is available on its own, €39 for the cheapest package (50Mb).

If you (still) want to check the alternatives www.getbroadband.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

UPC is best imo. I use eircom myself, pretty good but can die on you occasionally just to come back up again as if nothing happened.

Mind, Digiweb looks good too
    http://digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/

At the end of the day, what will you need it for? How many GB do you intend to download per month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Thanks for the replies.
    biko wrote: »
    UPC is best imo. I use eircom myself, pretty good but can die on you occasionally just to come back up again as if nothing happened.

Mind, Digiweb looks good too
    http://digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/

At the end of the day, what will you need it for? How many GB do you intend to download per month?

I'm not into downloading music or movies and only need broadband for basic web browsing, YouTube, emails, and possibly Skype. The O2 connection has been struggling to provide even that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not into downloading music or movies and only need broadband for basic web browsing, YouTube, emails, and possibly Skype. The O2 connection has been struggling to provide even that much.

Download speeds are only half the battle, for skype and other video chat technologies you need a decent upload speed - or the other side won't get video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

If you are in Galway City, you can't go wrong with smarts deal for €29.95 a month.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/more_details/Home_Broadband_Phone.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

your better off going for the basic upc broadband. for what you pay for a crappy connection and a crap download limit, its better to spend extra couple of euro and get upc. its solidly reliable and excellent for VOIP.

Advertisement