Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

value - price of coffee

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

There's definitely some truth in what Blandpebbles says. I'm with you Blandpebbles, well to a certain extent.

And most likely blow-ins. I don't recall people walking about with copper kettle take out coffees!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I buy coffee to drink the bloody thing. Not to be seen. Everybody that I know does the same.

This theory about pretentiousness of being seen with a cup of coffee is absolute nonsense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I buy coffee to drink the bloody thing. Not to be seen. Everybody that I know does the same.

This theory about pretentiousness of being seen with a cup of coffee is absolute nonsense.

I am not suggesting people don't drink them, its the walking around town with it in your hand, or sitting reading a book or writing your screen play in the local cafe, or the people who sit in the coldest part of Greystones outside Cafe De Stelle or the Happy Pear, top coats on and a coffee in hand, that pure pretension.

Back to the value of coffee... I work in a company that has a Starbucks in house and it is highly subsidised, 40c for a coffee and I still hear people moaning about the price...

Love the Copper Kettle comment... very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jethropool

"sitting reading a book".

Jesus wept.

Next time I want to read a book in a cafe or sit in a cafe I must stop myself. I really woyldn't want people judging me as pretentious and not only that but as a pretentious runner in.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

I am not suggesting people don't drink them, its the walking around town with it in your hand, or sitting reading a book or writing your screen play in the local cafe, or the people who sit in the coldest part of Greystones outside Cafe De Stelle or the Happy Pear, top coats on and a coffee in hand, that pure pretension.

I think the smoking ban is the main culprit in what you describe there, nothing to do with 'pretension'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Next time I want to read a book in a cafe or sit in a cafe I must stop myself. I really woyldn't want people judging me as pretentious and not only that but as a pretentious runner in.

We have a beautiful library in the town for reading, that is quiet and not full of bustling people... plus it is free to use. There you go, I saved you at least 1.50 with that tip.

Whats a runner in?

The smoking ban accounts for about 10% of the people sitting outside those places. Most are yummy mummies and not so yummy 'look at me having a coffee, arent I so continental' types.

Me thinks perhaps the posters do protest too much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

This thread has turned into nonsense. Great. Another good debate ruined.

In case people forget - we were discussing the price people were willing to spend on a cup of coffee (thread name - price of coffee)- which in fairness I thought was interesting.

Yeah people drinking coffee are pretentious - 'course they are!

The worst thing is people actually fell for it and responded to what was obviously somebody taking the mick. What has happened to Irish peoples sense of irony, of having a laugh? Or all of ye that responded that stupid? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

If you've ever tried sitting inside the Happy Pear on a busy/semi-busy day, you'll understand why people choose to sit outside.

damienirel wrote: »
    This thread has turned into nonsense. Great. Another good debate ruined.

In case people forget - we were discussing the price people were willing to spend on a cup of coffee (thread name - price of coffee)- which in fairness I thought was interesting.

Yeah people drinking coffee are pretentious - 'course they are!

The worst thing is people actually fell for it and responded to what was obviously somebody taking the mick. What has happened to Irish peoples sense of irony, of having a laugh? Or all of ye that responded that stupid? Really?
    The trouble is I think that that nonsense about pretentiousness is serious!

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This is finished. BP banned for one week for trolling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement