Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documents for CAO

• 15-01-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm applying to the CAO this year and am kinda confused about what documentation I need to send them. I have a transcript with my results from each year of college. Do I also need to send a copy of my degree? Will I need to get this translated from Latin? Anything else I need to send? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Yeah you need your transcript of final year results and you need to go into the garda station and get them to stamp a photocopy of your degree. Think thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Yeah you need your transcript of final year results and you need to go into the garda station and get them to stamp a photocopy of your degree. Think thats it.

No, you need a transcript of your entire college course from the beginning. And I have never seen any mention of a garda approved copy of your degree, where did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 strangeweather

Applicants who have completed and been confirmed with their first honours bachelor degree (NFQ Level 8) must submit proof of their
    qualification by 15 March 2013. Supporting documentation must include complete ORIGINAL transcripts (all years), NOT a certified photocopy, printed on the Institutions official headed paper showing class of degree awarded (2H1 minimum) and year conferred. If year conferred is not detailed on the original transcript, a certified A4 photocopy of parchment will suffice.

That's from the CAO website. So it's only required to send a certified copy of the parchment if the transcripts don't have the year on them? I'm pretty sure last year you needed both. I think I'll l be sending in both to be sure :pac:!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

pc11 wrote: »
    No, you need a transcript of your entire college course from the beginning. And I have never seen any mention of a garda approved copy of your degree, where did you see this?

Thats what the CAO told me last year when they initially rejected my application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

So if I'm sending them a copy of my degree, must it be translated? Still pretty confused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

You need to send them a copy of your results for each year of your degree - it must be an official transcript (ie. you need to get it directly from the college). You do not need to send them a copy of your parchment (that you frame!). If you ring up the college you went to they will know what a transcript is and send it out to you. If you have not yet graduated, the college can still give you a transcript copy, it just won't be totally complete (which is grand!). Essentially, it is proof that you did the course you claim and a copy of your results for the potential college to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

You need to send them a copy of your results for each year of your degree - it must be an official transcript (ie. you need to get it directly from the college). You do not need to send them a copy of your parchment (that you frame!). If you ring up the college you went to they will know what a transcript is and send it out to you. If you have not yet graduated, the college can still give you a transcript copy, it just won't be totally complete (which is grand!). Essentially, it is proof that you did the course you claim and a copy of your results for the potential college to look at.

Have the transcript ready to post, thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

DoctorDre wrote: »
    Have the transcript ready to post, thanks! :)
    I went onto the UCD website and they now need a certified copy of your degree - ie. a photocopy of your actual parchment. When I applied last, this was not needed but now it is... sorry for confusion. You need to send both the copy of parchment and the transcript.

This may be a dumb question, but is the normal change of mind process available to Grad Med applicants?

I don't know yet what the preference order will be. I can't see a specific mention of it being allowed or disallowed on the CAO website, so I'd like to confirm I can just fill in the form now and come back to my preferences later.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

Graduate Entry Medicine is a Restricted Course, so special rules apply. These are available here: http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index4.htm

In general terms, include the GEM course codes in your application before the February 1st deadline. You can then change the order of preference using the normal Change of Mind process.
    Restricted-Application Courses which are added for the first time via a Change of Mind are invalid choices and will not be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 aqua buddy

Because the year of conferral of my degree is not stated on my transcripts, I need to send on a certified A4 photocopy of my degree. Can anyone confirm whether this means getting the photocopy of the degree stamped by a garda to make it 'certified'. Thanks

aqua buddy wrote: »
    Because the year of conferral of my degree is not stated on my transcripts, I need to send on a certified A4 photocopy of my degree. Can anyone confirm whether this means getting the photocopy of the degree stamped by a garda to make it 'certified'. Thanks

Yes bring it in yourself with the original. What they do now in most stations is get you to certify it yourself and they will witness, sign and stamp it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

So just to clarify all we need is a transcript from degree and photocopied copy of degree signed by the Gardaí? I have a masters also should I do the same for that or just for the undergrad?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Scofield

Stamped by a Garda?! A stamp from the college certifies that it is genuine, you could put anything under the nose of a Garda and ask them to stamp it :confused:

Well now Im confused!

Things may have changed since last year but I didn't have to do anything apart from get my transcripts (for all years) stamped by the college.

You'll need to be Garda vetted if and when you get a place on the programme, but apart from that you shouldn't need to get anything from the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gh1

The Gardai don't have anything got to do with it, why would they?

gh1 wrote: »
    The Gardai don't have anything got to do with it, why would they?

Exactly, no idea where this idea has come from?

Thanks for clearing that up. When I seen it mentioned in this thread about a Garda stamped copy I began to wonder!

Exactly, no idea where this idea has come from?

If there are no dates on your transcripts you need to send a certified photocopy of your parchment, I'd imagine for a lot of people the easiest place to get it certified is in the Garda station (for me anyway). But of course there are a lot of places to get it certified! If the dates are on your transcripts then it obviously doesn't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SunshineGirl22

Thats what the CAO told me last year when they initially rejected my application.

Hi guys, I've just received an email from the CAO saying my application has been deemed ineligible by the various institutions for failing to provide sufficient documentation. I sent on my transcripts to the CAO by March 15th (as instructed for applicants who have already graduated prior to 2013).

I know why there was a mix-up and I'll be ringing the CAO in the morning but is it definitely ok to still send on transcripts up until July 15th even though they state that this due date is for applicants graduating in 2013 only?

Flange/Flanders...were you ok to send in transcripts again for approval last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gh1

Yeah it's no problem I did it last year

• Registered Users Posts: 18 IEMedAp

Hi guys, I've just received an email from the CAO saying my application has been deemed ineligible by the various institutions for failing to provide sufficient documentation. I sent on my transcripts to the CAO by March 15th (as instructed for applicants who have already graduated prior to 2013).

I know why there was a mix-up and I'll be ringing the CAO in the morning but is it definitely ok to still send on transcripts up until July 15th even though they state that this due date is for applicants graduating in 2013 only?

Flange/Flanders...were you ok to send in transcripts again for approval last year?

I got the same email, but am at a loss as to what I haven't submitted.

Just to clarify - you have to contact the Universities themselves, and not CAO, to discuss your eligbility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SunshineGirl22

IEMedAp wrote: »
    I got the same email, but am at a loss as to what I haven't submitted.

Just to clarify - you have to contact the Universities themselves, and not CAO, to discuss your eligbility.

I graduated from UCD last year. Stupidly I decided to make use of their 'electronic' documentation system whereby we print off our transcript which has our student number in addition to a url. 3rd parties can then go online and using this information 'electronically' access our transcripts. The catch is that it's up to us to make sure the information is 'posted' or made visible to 3rd parties. Last time I checked I had my transcript info enabled. I checked last night to find everything disabled to 3rd parties, therefore the universities couldn't verify my transcripts. A very annoying slip-up.

The main thing that I'm worried about is whether it's still possible for me to submit my transcripts again to the CAO just once its by July 15th. I'm going to go ring the various universities now. As far as I could tell we only had to submit our transcripts to the CAO, I've never heard of getting anything stamped by the Gardai before as someone mentioned in this thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

I graduated from UCD last year. Stupidly I decided to make use of their 'electronic' documentation system whereby we print off our transcript which has our student number in addition to a url. 3rd parties can then go online and using this information 'electronically' access our transcripts. The catch is that it's up to us to make sure the information is 'posted' or made visible to 3rd parties. Last time I checked I had my transcript info enabled. I checked last night to find everything disabled to 3rd parties, therefore the universities couldn't verify my transcripts. A very annoying slip-up.

The main thing that I'm worried about is whether it's still possible for me to submit my transcripts again to the CAO just once its by July 15th. I'm going to go ring the various universities now. As far as I could tell we only had to submit our transcripts to the CAO, I've never heard of getting anything stamped by the Gardai before as someone mentioned in this thread..

You need transcripts from all years (all) and you need a copy of the parchment. Thats it provided you got your 2.1 and its a level 8 degree

I spoke to CAO last week as I had missed the March 15th deadline. They told me the college will accept the transcripts until July, but that this is the last year they will do this. so be warned. Also, the email we received from CAO on Friday essentially says the same thing, as I understand it.

What is also confusing is the copy of the parchment. The CAO rules say this:
    Supporting documentation must include complete ORIGINAL transcripts (all years), NOT a certified photocopy, printed on the Institutions official headed paper showing class of degree awarded (2H1 minimum) and year conferred. If year conferred is not detailed on the original transcript, a certified A4 photocopy of parchment will suffice.

(from http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/GraduateEntryMedicine2013.pdf)

I read this to mean that the copy of the parchment is ONLY needed IF your transcript does not say the year conferred.

However, from the conversation with CAO where they said to send it, and to be extra safe, I recommend sending the copy no matter what your transcript says.

Now, has anyone seen my parchment? It's been a while! :eek:

If there are no dates on your transcripts you need to send a certified photocopy of your parchment, I'd imagine for a lot of people the easiest place to get it certified is in the Garda station (for me anyway). But of course there are a lot of places to get it certified! If the dates are on your transcripts then it obviously doesn't apply.

Where else can you get a copy certified? They don't mean notarised, do they? That would incur a fee. I presume the Gardai don't charge a fee?

I spoke to CAO last week as I had missed the March 15th deadline. They told me the college will accept the transcripts until July, but that this is the last year they will do this. so be warned. Also, the email we received from CAO on Friday essentially says the same thing, as I understand it.

What is also confusing is the copy of the parchment. The CAO rules say this:

(from http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/GraduateEntryMedicine2013.pdf)

I read this to mean that the copy of the parchment is ONLY needed IF your transcript does not say the year conferred.

However, from the conversation with CAO where they said to send it, and to be extra safe, I recommend sending the copy no matter what your transcript says.

Now, has anyone seen my parchment? It's been a while! :eek:

I rang them directly about this and yeah your right, you need to have verification on the transcript paper but at cao they suggested that I just send in the parchment to avoid any confusion/possible difficulty with the institutions

Where else can you get a copy certified? They don't mean notarised, do they? That would incur a fee. I presume the Gardai don't charge a fee?

I would imagine that your college would send this out to you. They might charge a small fee but it would be easier then the garda option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 IEMedAp

WoolahUrma wrote: »
    I rang them directly about this and yeah your right, you need to have verification on the transcript paper but at cao they suggested that I just send in the parchment to avoid any confusion/possible difficulty with the institutions

Likewise my reading of the CAO instructions was that a parchment need only be sent when the transcript does not stipulate the date on which the award was conferred.

However, I am told I need to submit a certified copy of the parchment regardless.

I have pointed out to the University that the instructions issued by CAO are different to what they are requesting.

Advertisement