Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alberta

Options
  • 15-01-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All
    I have been offered a job in Grande Prairie in Alberta from a company called Knelsen and I am waiting for my LMO to come through and I was wondering if anyone else has an offer or knows someone who has as I was told there are a few positions being filled by irish people would love to get some news on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

what sort of work does that company do? and what positions were available

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mad4beer

im up in Grande Prairie at the moment.
    If you have any questions I`d gladly answer them

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ringzar

Hi, Are you working for this company? They offered me the job and applied for the lmo on the 14th of december and I still have no news yet!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

ringzar wrote: »
    Hi, Are you working for this company? They offered me the job and applied for the lmo on the 14th of december and I still have no news yet!!!!!!!!

Lmos can take up to 16 weeks to process statement could be part of the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

There a haulage company ya??
    I`ve a job in the oil&gas like 70 percent of people in Grande Prairie.
    I`ve only been here 3 weeks and It`s not so bad here actually.
    If you have any questions ask away and I`ll answer them as best I can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Coulagh 1986 you on the rigs dude?

Not on the rigs but with a company that supplies oil for the Fraccing process.

Everyone up here seems to be saying its not as busy as other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bucket and spade

Hey guys im waiting on my visa/ work permit stuff to come, got a job in grande prairie, should be there in a month or two hopefully? my boss had my lmo in about 6 weeks. depends as the employer has to have advertised for two months, without sucess to hire a canadian before he can get the lmo. maybe he needs to do this before he can even apply.
    Where are ye guys from? are ye irish?

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Coulagh 1986 you on the rigs dude?

No I`m not on the rigs. I work for a company that supplies oil for the fraccing. Basically my job involves testing oil for various properties and impurities.

Hey guys im waiting on my visa/ work permit stuff to come, got a job in grande prairie, should be there in a month or two hopefully? my boss had my lmo in about 6 weeks. depends as the employer has to have advertised for two months, without sucess to hire a canadian before he can get the lmo. maybe he needs to do this before he can even apply.
    Where are ye guys from? are ye irish?

I`m a full blown Wesht Cork man. I`ve been in GP a month now. If you have any questions about GP let me know and I`ll answer them as best I can.

• Advertisement

well mad4beer. how is life on the prairie. i was trying to see if there was a gaelic football team up there, but i dont think there is, do you know anything about that? is there many Irish up there? im moving over with the woman and child just curious about the place in general, trying to find out as much about everything i suppose.

well mad4beer. how is life on the prairie. i was trying to see if there was a gaelic football team up there, but i dont think there is, do you know anything about that? is there many Irish up there? im moving over with the woman and child just curious about the place in general, trying to find out as much about everything i suppose.

You`ll be doing well to find any Irish people up here I reckon. Nearly everyone I`ve met has never come across an Irish Person in GP.

It`s an oil town. Lots of guys with cash and big trucks.
    It has everything in terms of shopping eg Walmart Safeway.
    Lots of restaurants of all varieties.
    You will definitely need to buy a car.
    Look up kijiji for an idea of rent, cars etc.
    The GP people I`ve met here are very friendly and helpful.

what area of the city are you in? i was looking for somewhere close to work, up north around crystal lake.
    What is that area like? are you there on your own or do you have family with you? i need to find out a bit about schools too.

I`m here all on my lonesome :).
    I`ve driven up around Crystal Lake a few times. Nice area. Grande Prairie is small and compact, so your less than a 10 minute drive to pretty much everything.
    I``m moving to a place called royal Oaks at the start of February.
    How old is your child??
    I`ll ask some of my collagues tomorrow about schools in Crystal Lake region.

is it hard to get accomodation up there, i hear it is scarce enough. i have a bit of an idea from looking at kijiji but i also hear that there are alot of scams on it too. just have to wait till i get there and see for myself. how did ye guys manage when ye first landed, did u just stay in a travel lodge until u got something sorted?

Sorry I`ve been signed in as coulagh1986 in my work laptop and mad4beer in my personal one .
    My company put me up in a hotel for the first month. Its very very expensive to stay in hotel/motel etc.
    The prices are high as this is the busiest time of the year for drilling and the hotel/motels can charge what they want.
    You`d be looking at over 120 dollars a night for a room easy.
    Ya again accomadation is very competivive this time of the year due to the high volume of workers in the region.

I`m moving into a furnished room in a basement for 650 a month which includes utilities which is very very reasonable for GP.

cheers. i thought i was talking to two people alright. yeah that sounds like a good deal. id need a two bed basement or something. is the bus service crap or is it just the cold at this time of year that makes you say i would need a car?

I`ve hardly seen a bus since I got here. I have a company truck for 2 weeks then on my week off I have no truck. on my week off I was totally stranded couldnt get anywhere.

It seems Kijiji is the best and only place to find out info on accommodation.
    A lot of places come unfurnished here aswell..
    It was minus 48 here with the windchill tuesday.

how did u work your flights? did you fly into edmonton or were u elsewhere in canada before you arrived in gp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

try rentfaster.ca for places.

• Advertisement

cheers technopool but were not in edmonton or calgary

• Registered Users Posts: 22 s14a johno

iam flyn out thursday morning to calbury to work wih sutton industries
    Pppera approved, lmo and work offer

where calbury?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 s14a johno

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    where calbury?:D

red deer the HQ then most like flyn out a week after,
    but trying to find a Race track for drifting as the car gone
    into hibernation now, need something todo lol

i know there another 4 lads headn over to same crowed but donno how lol

well for ya mate all the best i am heading Calgary end of march. cant wait now you must be excited:D

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

there is a couple airline companies that fly into grande praire from edmonton or calgary or vancouver, westjet and aircanada. you can also take the greyhound bus. Rent can be expensive in GP, supply and demand come into factor. There wouldn't be much for public transportation, but there are some city buses

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ciarand1

I was also offered a dozer driving job with Knelsen back in November and heard nothing since. Has anyone heard anything more from Knelsen?

\Theres a few lads in the same boat as you regarding that company

What do you reckon is the best bank to open an account with? or the cheapest anyway?

• Advertisement
Advertisement