Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopefully heading to OZ need some advice

Options
  • 15-01-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

First of im sorry if this has been posted a million times already but im lost to say the least. The girlfriend and I have been talking of heading over to Oz for work since theres nothing here, however im nervous of the whole idea. We'd know no-one and I know nothing about the process to get work and which visa's would suit. Im a carpenter and shes a beauty therapist, ive read through so many forums in relation to the move but finding it over whelming.

For the carpenters out there what type of work is out there and whats the best region? Thanks for reading and sorry if this has been posted before.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's alot of good info in the stickied FAQ page

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170937

and Rightyabe wrote me a great intro post that you should look at too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73021962#post73021962

As for the work I don't think anyone can tell you exactly. What would be a good idea would be to look at the current jobs posted on seek.com.au and in the job section of gumtree.com.au and see what's out there now.

Keep in mind though things can be a bit quiet as it's the middle of Summer in Oz now.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

CatFromHue wrote: »
    There's alot of good info in the stickied FAQ page

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170937

and Rightyabe wrote me a great intro post that you should look at too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73021962#post73021962

As for the work I don't think anyone can tell you exactly. What would be a good idea would be to look at the current jobs posted on seek.com.au and in the job section of gumtree.com.au and see what's out there now.

Keep in mind though things can be a bit quiet as it's the middle of Summer in Oz now.

What age are ye op? If ye are both under 31, ye can apply from the working holiday visa and take it from there. What part of Australia are ye thinking of going to?

One bit of advice would be to take it handy until you get your first job, don't blow all the cash in the first week. Have seen way too many people go stir crazy when they first get here and then be eating beans for the rest of the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

tonydude wrote: »
    For the carpenters out there what type of work is out there and whats the best region? Thanks for reading and sorry if this has been posted before.

What sort of Carpentry have you done ???
    There is very good money in Formwork/Shuttering if your able.

If you can bring your tool belt with the basics do, employers in all trades can be suspicious of new blokes with shiny new tools at times, leave your hammer though, you can get a nice leather heandled Estwing over there, far better than ther rubber ones you see over here, from memory about the same price I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Thxs for the links the second one settled me a bit :D .
    We would both be under the 30 bracket anddon't know what region yet as I must check out where the work is.
    Carpentry wise im a roofer/1st&2nd fix, bit out of practice though had to work as a GO in factories for a while

Another question:
    If or when I get the visa, I heard ive 12 months to get out there, Does that mean I can wait 6 months then head out and have only 6 months left on the visa or do you get 12 months when in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

when you get the visa , from the grant date you have 12 months to enter the country !!

the visa only starts the actual day you enter australia and lasts for 12 months.

if you get a visa and dont enter the country within the 12 months it is void , but you could apply again if you wanted as you wouldnt have used it / entered oz !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

NIALL D wrote: »
    when you get the visa , from the grant date you have 12 months to enter the country !!

the visa only starts the actual day you enter australia and lasts for 12 months.

if you get a visa and dont enter the country within the 12 months it is void , but you could apply again if you wanted as you wouldnt have used it / entered oz !!

Thxs for that

Advertisement