Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 licence

Options
  • 15-01-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

hey guys im filling out my licence for a .223 i got yesterday i recently sold my .22 rifle before xmas and i need help filling out my forms cause of a strict superintendent we have in our local town and i got off the phone to my local garda he was saying hes refused a few ppl all ready, wondering watt is the best way going about this,i work in the naval service where i use that calibare all the time should use a refence from them? im joined a local gun should get more farmers permission etc i also have a shotgun 2 so this wud be my third gun i just dont want mine to be revoked from him

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

i work in the naval service where i use that calibare all the time should use a refence from them?
    There is no need to prove competence. Your previous rifle, and current shotgun are proof you are competent so no need to fill out the section that deals with competence.
    im joined a local gun should get more farmers permission etc
    You can, and it would not hurt. How many depends on yourself.
    i also have a shotgun 2 so this wud be my third gun i just dont want mine to be revoked from him
    As said above your previous experience with firearms serves as your competence.

Double check the form. Make sure every section is filled in THAT NEEDS TO BE FILLED IN. By that i mean do not fill in sections that are not relevant. Supply as much detail as you can in terms of referees, permissions, security, copy of gun club/range membership, letter for the moderator (apply for it now and have the option on your license rather than apply for it later), etc.

If you need more help or guidance on any other section just post here, and someone will gladly help out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

If you are using the .223 for the same thing you were using the .22, i.e. rabbits and vermin, you should be able to transfer your license over and avoid the hassle of a new application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Hibrion wrote: »
    If you are using the .223 for the same thing you were using the .22, i.e. rabbits and vermin, you should be able to transfer your license over and avoid the hassle of a new application.

Dont think so, a .22 is a rimfire, a .223 is a centre fire, completly a new application.
    A transfer is for the same calibre only.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Dont think so, a .22 is a rimfire, a .223 is a centre fire, completly a new application.

Not true.

Brother swapped a wmr for a hmr straight swap. Think its super discretion ??

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

And this is what a lot of FO's will say but they are wrong.

A like for like is one unrestricted license for another unrestricted license.

that's the way I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

clivej wrote: »

that's the way I see it.

Don't think so Clivej as otherwise I could trade my .22 and walk out with a .308 and the Super would have to look at it as a substitution(assuming I had my deer licence in place)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭franknrol

i swapped my .22wmr for a .223 last year. had it back in 6 days. a 223 is classed as a .22 cal as is 22-250 and .220 swift.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

hedzball wrote: »
    Brother swapped a wmr for a hmr straight swap. Think its super discretion ??
    Some work on calibers, other on closeness of calibers. So when i tried to change a 6.5 for a .308 i had no problem. When i tried a .22lr to a .223 was told no.
    clivej wrote: »

that's the way I see it.

All about perspective, but more importantly the FO. I got on the finest with the FO when he was there. He changed things for me without charging, added mods on, etc. However on certain things he said the "difference" was too much to pass off.

Apply for it as a sub, but if that fails then have a second FCA1 ready with the new application.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Whether it's a rimfire or centre fire is irrelevant. If the firearms are intended for the same purpose then there should be no problem getting a substitution. I have done this in the past with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Commissioner's Guidelines (worth whatever the super says they are, but for whatever they are worth) broke them down into blocks, such as long/short guns, restricted/unrestricted and then purpose. It suggested that a substitution could be performed in the case of an unrestricted long gun for an unrestricted long gun, provided the reason for licensing hadn't changed. So, for instance, you have a .22 which you got to shoot foxes; you could apply for a .223 upon finding out that the .22 isn't cutting the mustard for you. On the other hand, if you had a .223 for foxes, and wanted to get a .243/.25-06/.270 for foxes and deer, the guidelines suggest that since you're now looking to shoot deer too, the reason for licensing has changed, so a substitution wouldn't be suitable, but again, it all depends on your super's interpretation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Commissioner's Guidelines (worth whatever the super says they are, but for whatever they are worth) broke them down into blocks, such as long/short guns, restricted/unrestricted and then purpose. It suggested that a substitution could be performed in the case of an unrestricted long gun for an unrestricted long gun, provided the reason for licensing hadn't changed. So, for instance, you have a .22 which you got to shoot foxes; you could apply for a .223 upon finding out that the .22 isn't cutting the mustard for you. On the other hand, if you had a .223 for foxes, and wanted to get a .243/.25-06/.270 for foxes and deer, the guidelines suggest that since you're now looking to shoot deer too, the reason for licensing has changed, so a substitution wouldn't be suitable, but again, it all depends on your super's interpretation.

I knew I'd read it somewhere.

A good reference there IWM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

...it all depends on your super's interpretation.

Therein lies the source of all confusion.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

tac foley wrote: »
    Therein lies the source of all confusion.

tac

CONFUSION............... thats the key word here:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Vizzy wrote: »
    Don't think so Clivej as otherwise I could trade my .22 and walk out with a .308 and the Super would have to look at it as a substitution(assuming I had my deer licence in place)

Very much depends on FO and Super......
    I was offered a substitution on one of my .22s when I met with the FO inregards of getting my .243. I told him I wanted to do some fox shooting. This is a very experinced Guard who has been the district FO for over 27 years. I got the .243 without deer permit.

rockyvsrocky1,

It's just me, but its no harm stating your experience or confidence with fire arms.
    I always state my lenght of service, military firearms experience, instructor training both military and civilian.
    If there's a space there fill it in and few extra minutes writing may save you weeks if not months of waiting or haggling with the Super.
    It's all good applying 'because you can' show em that your 'confident and able' to own such a gun...... Best of luck..... By the way don't forget the new DF club.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rockyvsrocky1

rockyvsrocky1,

It's just me, but its no harm stating your experience or confidence with fire arms.
    I always state my lenght of service, military firearms experience, instructor training both military and civilian.
    If there's a space there fill it in and few extra minutes writing may save you weeks if not months of waiting or haggling with the Super.
    It's all good applying 'because you can' show em that your 'confident and able' to own such a gun...... Best of luck..... By the way don't forget the new DF club.

Didn't hear about the DF club how do I get into that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I subbed my .17 hmr for my .223 i bought off clive with no problems, they even added a mod. My reason didnt change i just said i was shooting more foxes and needed the bigger cal, guards said no problem as bothe are unreatricted. Had it back within 2 weeks

Didn't hear about the DF club how do I get into that ?

PM sent.

Advertisement