Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance advice

Options
  • 15-01-2013 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Advice on Health Insurance
    Health Insurance due for renewal. Live in the sticks- nearest hospital is a public one. Other people I know with VHI packages have had to wait at least 3 months now on procedures. I thought the whole idea of health insurance was that you would not have to wait too long to get any procedures done. I was planning on going for a basic package as I do not care about private rooms etc. I realise that if I want to go to a private hospital I will need a top of the range policy to limit the amount I will have to fork out for a procedure. My question bascially is do I need to get health insurance if I am going to be put on a waiting list anyway. A nurse at the local hospital said health insurance makes no difference on waiting time there. Any advice would be gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

In fairness, 3 months is nothing compared to 2 years on public system so it does get ya in faster!! If ya even had basic cover you would private in a public hospital so contary to what that nurse said it does make a huge difference to waiting times! Should just ring around and ask for basic plans or just give your budget and see what you can get. They always on about company plans cos they can be cheaper too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Check out hia.ie
    My son needed to see an ent consultant. Public list was a minimum of 18 months.
    Saw him privately in a few days. Back with him next week to see if he needs surgery
    I can claim 50% of fees and have an excess of 125 for surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lorraine 2

Thanks for the advice. I guess the waiting time is smaller compared with the public system - I must have been out of touch thinking it was quicker than that. I think I will just bit the bullet and pay for the cheapest policy I can get. thanks

Advertisement