Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things People Say That Annoy You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

"For all intensive purposes" is another one that really does my head in,

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Garzard wrote: »
    "For all intensive purposes" is another one that realy does my head in,

Probably doing your head in because whoever's saying that phrase to you is saying it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You know what do be does be gettin on me nerves, like?

Language pedants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    Probably doing your head in because whoever's saying that phrase to you is saying it wrong.

Not only that but noticed a lot of people on the Internet also spell it like that in a post or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

"Epic", "Fail" or indeed "epic fail". F**k off.

"Banter" (used to be an ok word but now it's just used on the main by tools) or even worse "havin the bants".... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHGGHGHGHGAHAHAAHGHHGHHH!!!

Also the "I'm gay" type things people say when they frape someone. Hilaaaaaaaarrrrious. The amount of college students who need to learn to log out of facebook is really ridiculous.

Oh and also when people pronounce double "t"s in words like a d, e.g. "butter" as "budder", "babysitter" as "babysidder". They're Ts dammit, not Ds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Complaining about something on boards and the inevitable "what's it to you" comments "Why do you care OP" "Get a life" etc...

People who click into a thread they don't care about just to post inane crap like this should be force fed horse burgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I done / I seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

'We are where we are'.

Only ever used by someone who has ****ed up and knows it, but certainly doesn't want to discuss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Custardpi wrote: »
    Something that used to annoy me a few years ago but which doesn't seem to occur as much since we became more sophisticated is the mispronunciation/misuse of French, Italian & Spanish origin words, e.g. "expresso" for espresso, Renault pronounced "Ren- alt" (to rhyme with vault), paella with the double l pronounced as an l instead of a y & "Entrée" being used to denote a main course on a menu (you still see this occasionally in some restaurants) instead of "Plat Principal" or indeed "Main Course". If you don't know the proper names/pronunciations of things you should either learn them or stick to less challenging vocabulary.

Jesus. And I thought I was an awful pedant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Something that used to annoy me a few years ago but which doesn't seem to occur as much since we became more sophisticated is the mispronunciation/misuse of French, Italian & Spanish origin words, e.g. "expresso" for espresso, Renault pronounced "Ren- alt" (to rhyme with vault), paella with the double l pronounced as an l instead of a y & "Entrée" being used to denote a main course on a menu (you still see this occasionally in some restaurants) instead of "Plat Principal" or indeed "Main Course". If you don't know the proper names/pronunciations of things you should either learn them or stick to less challenging vocabulary.

Entrée is a perfectly correct term to use for main course in the USA, but not over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Ecletic

Hate hate that word - only ponses (ponces...............????????/fe*kin twats) use that word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I hate the term "cuppa" for some reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I also HATE when people pronounce words wrong like "DUNkey" instead on donkey

My granny used to always do this, so I have a sentimental fondness for that pronunciation! :D

Gotta agree with banter too. That word has just lost all meaning with the amount of people who overuse it.

I also know people who use phrases like 'failing at life'/'winning at life'/'enthusiastic for life'/sh*t at life' and every other variable of 'at life' at every available opportunity.

'Like a boss' being overused by every dumbass lad who thinks he's class - 'downed that pint like a boss, hey'. Fcuk off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Entrée is a perfectly correct term to use for main course in the USA, but not over here.

Why would it be correct over there (other than through custom)? It doesn't mean main course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

"You know"

"high street" (when it's Irish people saying it)

"like" (as in "like you know")

People who follow the British practice of calling people with red hair "ginger" - you were always "Red", "Redser" etc when I was in school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

People who say 'totes awks' should be kicked in their genitals with extreme force and repetition...

Also people who say 'amazing' in that dragged out way so it sounds like amayyyzing deserve the same fate...

I also cringe when I hear people say 'omg' in real life. Online and in text it's grand with limits but literally saying in real life is poor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

That word has just lost all meaning with the amount of people who overuse it.

People who say amount of people when it is number of people.

joolsveer wrote: »

Given it's an uncountable number of people who overuse it, I'm going to stick with amount. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

"In the interim" makes me shudder for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

joolsveer wrote: »
    Given it's an uncountable number of people who overuse it, I'm going to stick with amount. :D

Well that's just... WOW! :pac:

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/amount.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"people with a chip on their shoulder:" not that some such people don't exist, but I hate the way the phrase is thrown at people who have anything to say which could even remotely be construed as slightly resembling something which could possibly be misinterpreted as jealousy of those with more money.

Adding a question mark to a statement, either in speech or writing. That's not the same as a confused smiley?

Unsubtle bragging about salary and wealth in general, quite common on After Hours lately. But then I probably have a chip on my shoulder.

"but change the price on garlic and you'll go to jail (rolleyes)" - Tax evasion is a crime!

Any vague wisp of a rumour or complete baseless exaggeration passed off as fact: "sure they all get free cars from social welfare, law and order's broken down in Ireland, kill someone and the guards won't do a thing."
    Stupid people trying to huge their ignore behind grand "factual" statements, even after they've been proven wrong: "criminals aren't afraid of getting caught, hard labour will sort them out."

"PC brigade, bleeding-heart liberals, do-gooders" - I especially hate when Irish people talk about liberals in the way the term's used in American political discourse, even talking about "white liberals." And what's wrong with doing good!?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

When people address me using the following; "Alright kid", "Well lad" or "Howya bud"
    that really grinds my gears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

When you upwardly propel your head onto the pointed edge of the open cupboard door and someone says 'Careful!'

"PC brigade, bleeding-heart liberals, do-gooders" - I especially hate when Irish people talk about liberals in the way the term's used in American political discourse, even talking about "white liberals." And what's wrong with doing good!?

These all do my head in. Especially the do-gooders one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

When people address me using the following; "Alright kid", "Well lad" or "Howya bud"
    that really grinds my gears

Grrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

number10a wrote: »
    Eh, no.

"I could care less..." means that it is possible for me to care less about what I am referring to. Therefore I care about it to a certain, although ambiguous, level because as I have said I can lessen the level of caring.

"I couldn't...", means that it is not possible in any way whatsoever for me to give less of a shìt about the topic/object/person to which/whom I am referring. I don't care about it at all, therefore it is not possible for me to care even less.

Sarcasm! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Anyone who refers to their "Mom" needs a stern talking to, IMO.

cantdecide wrote: »

Could be worse, at least the word "Moms" hasn't yet entered the vocabulary here (that I've heard anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Snow Leopard

Meangadh wrote: »

Also the "I'm gay" type things people say when they frape someone.

Frape.

Grrrrrrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭doubleyoubee

'I should of'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

overuse of the word literally

'OMG!!!! I was like so embarrassed, I literally died'

*If only*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

cantdecide wrote: »

Especially when the same woman was their Mam up until recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

Why are you still single?
    I just am.
    Yes, but WHY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭doughef

A girl I used to work with..

"me bike has a puncher"

I'd love to puncher in her face!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

gravey yard, or 'pass the chipilladas'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

"I do be/it does be" aaarrrgghh! Fûck off with your excuse that its Hiberno-English. It just sounds stupid.

What's wrong with "I am/it is"??????

And as for people who say"modren"... There was a fùcking schoolteacher saying it on Matt Cooper last week, wouldn't let that cünt try to educate my arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

mailforkev wrote: »
    "I seen..."

:mad:

It would be easier and would make more sense to just substitute "I saw" with "I seen".
    'I should of'...

I should've. You're problem should be with the word "of" which should not have, or "shouldn't've/shouldn't of" :P a v sound in it.

People with endearing/familiar greetings: Howya luv/chicken/bud/horse/lad/wee willy winker

It would be easier and would make more sense to just substitute "I saw" with "I seen".

I should've. You're problem should be with the word "of" which should not have, or "shouldn't've/shouldn't of" :P a v sound in it.

People with endearing/familiar greetings: Howya luv/chicken/bud/horse/lad/wee willy winker

Your. Since the thread is (at least partly) about correct English usage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

'Sangers' or 'hubby'.

Oh those words drive me soft.

"Sangers"? :confused: Is that slang for husband these days?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The word 'banter'.

Excessive overuse of the words Lad or Bro.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

I told you so :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Your. Since the thread is (at least partly) about correct English usage.

You got me there, Custard π .:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

summerskin wrote: »
    wouldn't let that cünt try to educate my arsehole.

When I first read this I thought you were referring to your child as your arsehole. Woops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭brenn7475

"well in fairness now " and "well this is it " when talking about a subject

The word 'banter'.

Excessive overuse of the words Lad or Bro.

Cool story Bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BidillyBo

"I wouldn't mind but......"

yes you would still mind so just fúck off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The words 'epic' or 'legend' used to describe something that's nothing of the kind.

The word 'celebrity' to describe some reality television idiot that's famous for being famous and who will be forgotten about in a few months.

'Literally' whereas the person means 'figuratively'. "I literally died laughing". No you didn't you moron.

Also 'almost literally'. Something is either literal or it isn't.

The phrase 'language is evolving' as an excuse for bad spelling.

Harassing people on the internet and saying it's 'freedom of speech'.

'100 things/songs/films you must do/hear/watch before you die'. I'm hardly going to wait until after I die.

The word 'MILF'. An absolutely vile and disgusting word. It sounds like it means 'mould'. "I can't eat that cheese, it's covered in milf".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

I hate people who go out of their way to pronounce words in the 'proper' way. Yes, it's espresso not expresso but when people start putting on a lisp to say Barcelona or with croissant — as an English loan word, there's no 'q' and there is a 't'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement