Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things People Say That Annoy You

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

the moron's way of saying Crisps "Crips"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

in anyways

What the hell does that mean Grrr :mad:

when people finish there sentences with LIKE
    "do you know what I mean LIKE"

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

Culleeo wrote: »
    There is jobs out there you lazy bastard, they may not be in your field but there is jobs if you want to work.

This. Apparently the recession and lack of jobs is all imaginary. It's not a recession, it is a laziness epidemic.

Two planes had a "near miss". If they nearly missed, well then they actually hit...

This one actually does makes sense. A miss can be near or far. A far miss is not that worrying and is technically true of every two planes that are in the air at the same time.

The word is near not nearly.
    near means close. A close miss. nearly means almost. Almost miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

tumblr_m1kfi2ejR61qiq3amo1_500.jpg

^ That's brilliant! :D

A particular annoyance of mine now I think of it is the word "punters". People using the word "clients" annoys me too, but I'm more used to it now. I just call them customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

When you walk into a room and some arseh*le who thinks he's the life and soul of the party feels the need to point that out:

"There's John there now."

Actually, just people talking in third person or like you are not there is very annoying.

When people say bants and lols I die a little bit inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

"Going forward"
    Fúck off and die! Unless you've got a DeLorean, you're certainly not going back. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

"the Christmas"

any sort of reference to how "terrible" the weather is. You know where we live, we don't live in a hot tropical climate. Especially when we've had a few dry, sunny-ish days and then one day it rains and it's "depressing"

Larianne wrote: »
    "Thanks hun"

"Thanks pet"

:mad:

"Thanks chicks" or "thanks chicken" also fits into that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

iDave wrote: »
    Immigrants in the UK who are intent on the butchering the language with this sort of talk 'cause I is black' or 'I didn't do nuffingck'

Gratuitous attack on UK immigrants.
    "I didn't do nuffingck", could be 'Rodders' in 'Only Fools And Horses' or John Terry in real life.
    It's a working-class London pronunciation, particularly if 'nothing' is the last word of a sentence, much ado about nuffingck... innit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

People who start a sentence with,
    I'm not being funny, but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

In the UK, a big one that really grinds my gears is “early doors” and makes it worse when your hear the Irish lads saying it.

Another one is “ I was out of work for 3 week” or “I’m workin for this crowd for the past 6 month” it’s weeks or months your fcuking idiot, go back to school and learn to speak properly..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 foxiebelle

When people post on Facebook or the like "Happy birthday to my one-year old son/daughter or 67 year old mother" etc. who aren't on Facebook at all! If they're not on facebook wish them Happy Birthday personally!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

9959 wrote: »
    Gratuitous attack on UK immigrants.

Careful you're in danger of overreacting.

foxiebelle wrote: »
    When people post on Facebook or the like "Happy birthday to my one-year old son/daughter or 67 year old mother" etc. who aren't on Facebook at all! If they're not on facebook wish them Happy Birthday personally!

especially if they're dead. My cousin writes things to my Grandpa... i told her I didn't realise he was on Facebook :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

People who do that half-hearted "Hurrr!!" laugh to absolutely everything that might be considered a joke in a movie or TV show, regardless of how funny it was.

Like some sort of acknowledgement sound that the person understood that it was supposed to be a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

'work colleagues'
    Obviously you work with them if they are your colleagues ya feckin nimrod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

When something happens in sports and everyone floods Facebook with:

'Take a bow lad/son'

**** off

iDave wrote: »
    Careful you're in danger of overreacting.

No I ain't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

Sports reporters refering to the geographical origins of players.
    Joe Stack last night talking abou Rory McIlroy; 'the Ulsterman'...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Idiots that say they'll have a bag of crips. It's crisps ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

"Not three bad" may eventually lead to someone getting poked in the eye.

hollster2 wrote: »
    What the hell does that mean Grrr :mad:

when people finish there sentences with LIKE
    "do you know what I mean LIKE"

But some of us have to:(, like

the moron's way of saying Crisps "Crips"
    TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Idiots that say they'll have a bag of crips. It's crisps ffs!

Only 20 posts of separation, cripes!

Czarcasm wrote: »
    This being a phrase I use a lot, I believe you misunderstand it's meaning-

"I could care less...", implies that if one cared at all, they could care less, the implied meaning being that they don't care at all. It's sarcasm.

"I couldn't...", implies that they do actually care, but they could care less.

"I could care less" is an American mangling of the expression "I couldn't care less" They are not intended to be sarcastic and I have never heard them expressed in a sarcastic tone of voice.

I could care less, indicates that you care at least a little bit and maybe as much as it is possible to care.

I couldn't care less indicates that there is no possible lesser degree that you could care.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

I am not sure if the following exactly grasps the point of the thread, but it drives me insane when people keep telling me how 'busy' they are.

It is particularly rife in Southern England, but have also been noticing it quite a lot here recently.

This frequently comes into play in the form of a justification why he/she cannot meet for lunch/cannot go out on Saturday/why they cannot make a weekend away etc.

I still cannot decide if the main intention of the word is to make me feel guilty (as in I am a bone idle indolent layabout in comparison), to make themselves feel worthy and to demonstrate to the world how they have a purpose in life, or simply as a catch-all excuse as mentioned above.

Anyway, it really gets me going every time I hear it. At the end of the day, most people are not Barack Obama.

HHobo wrote: »

"I could care less" is an American mangling of the expression "I couldn't care less" They are not intended to be sarcastic and I have never heard them expressed in a sarcastic tone of voice.

I could care less, indicates that you care at least a little bit and maybe as much as it is possible to care.

I couldn't care less indicates that there is no possible lesser degree that you could care.

Interesting! I'm actually learning a lot from this thread! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

MaxSteele wrote: »
    "Mum". :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You're Irish. She is referred to as either Mam or Ma.

I'm Irish and call my mother Mum. My Grandmother was Mam because she was Welsh and the Welsh word for Grandmother is Mamgu. She was called Mam by my cousins years before I came along, everyone called her Mam.

I couldn't very well have two Mams, could I? Bit confusing. People might have their reasons for what they call their mothers, you know.

Also, I don't get by people get so annoyed about what people call their mothers - the whole Mom thing comes up in AH all the time. It's nothing to do with you. Why do you care so much?

Candie wrote: »
    People who say they're opinionated, but are in fact just stubborn.

Opinionated is a word that irritates me. It implies that some people don't have opinions when its actual use is to denote people who don't pretend to agree with things the don't agree with for the sake of consensus. It is usually deployed as a derogatory epithet by people who are annoyed that you won't agree with their opinion :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    I am not sure if the following exactly grasps the point of the thread, but it drives me insane when people keep telling me how 'busy' they are.

It is particularly rife in Southern England, but have also been noticing it quite a lot here recently.

This frequently comes into play in the form of a justification why he/she cannot meet for lunch/cannot go out on Saturday/why they cannot make a weekend away etc.

I still cannot decide if the main intention of the word is to make me feel guilty (as in I am a bone idle indolent layabout in comparison), to make themselves feel worthy and to demonstrate to the world how they have a purpose in life, or simply as a catch-all excuse as mentioned above.

Anyway, it really gets me going every time I hear it. At the end of the day, most people are not Barack Obama.

No, but some of us are quite busy.

Garzard wrote: »
    "For all intensive purposes" is another one that really does my head in,

The actual phrase is "For all intents and purposes". I can see how that version would be irritating :)

It is amazing how often common phrases are mangled.

"part of the course" is one I have heard fairly often. Presumably "par for the course"

Meangadh wrote: »
    Oh and also when people pronounce double "t"s in words like a d, e.g. "butter" as "budder", "babysitter" as "babysidder". They're Ts dammit, not Ds!

Ah yes, the american accents on Irish people who have never even been to the states.

"Wadder"? Oh water!

I understand that it is due to an nearly exclusive exposure to american media/tv shows but it still puts my teeth on edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

strobe wrote: »
    When one person in a couple says "we're pregnant" or "we're trying to get pregnant"...

...Oh really, both of you huh? And here was me with no idea you two were f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking hermaphrodites.

C[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]nts.
    IT DRIVES ME MAD! "We're due on..." seriously!

Redpunto wrote: »
    Ecletic

Hate hate that word - only ponses (ponces...............????????/fe*kin twats) use that word

The word eclectic is certainly overused but I have too often had people roll their eyes when I have used words that seemed perfectly mundane to me. It is akin to the "keeping it real" kind of stupidity. I don't really see how it is my problem that other people are averse to reading or having a decent knowledge of their first language.

I never think badly of anyone who doesn't know the meaning of X or Y word. Ignorance in general is not in itself a bad thing. I only think badly of those who think you are a ponce for knowing it. Those who are positively proud of their ignorance and want to protect it.

I don't, incidentally, go about using really obscure words. You would be amazed at some of the words people will get all "Jaysus, listen to yer man off.." about.

Frape.

What does it mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

What does it mean?

Leave your Facebook logged in on your computer and walk away for 10mins, when you return you'll know.

Another from me is "Jesus wept"
    I couldn't care less if he did or didn't and anyway WTF does a crying Israelite have got to do with anything that I've just said.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Interesting! I'm actually learning a lot from this thread! :D

Do I detect a note of sarcasm?....this must be what it is like to be Sheldon from the big bang :)

Leave your Facebook logged in on your computer and walk away for 10mins, when you return you'll know.

I don't use Facebook. I think I get it now though, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Ah yes, the american accents on Irish people who have never even been to the states.

"Wadder"? Oh water!

I understand that it is due to an nearly exclusive exposure to american media/tv shows but it still puts my teeth on edge.

Those accents are a pet hate of mine, My car insurance is up for renewal now so i have had to get quotes online and people call me back etc.

I had one fella call me back yesterday afternoon with an american/irish accent. I kept asking him to repeat himself (only because his lingo annoyed me) and guess what...he slowly started to speak his native tongue again...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭crfcaio

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    People that say "we" when referring to a sports team they support.

"We played very well today" Do you ****ing play for Man Utd? Didn't think so...

I'm guilty of this one.
    It's a force of habit, though, can't really help it.
    Have been saying it for years.

• Advertisement

crfcaio wrote: »
    I'm guilty of this one.
    It's a force of habit, though, can't really help it.
    Have been saying it for years.

There's a M&W for every occassion...

0:22 Brilliant.

Do I detect a note of sarcasm?....this must be what it is like to be Sheldon from the big bang :)

No no, sorry HH, it was actually when you mentioned the American mangling of the phrase, I never would've thought it. There have been other times in this thread then, the amount/numbers thing I had always just used without being aware of it! I thought this thread would be full of pedants but a lot of the stuff IS actually interesting! :D

OT: You couldn't pay me enough to watch that big bang theory crap, though I know sheldon, oh and the math guy from the IT crowd or something? They're annoying!

Actually people that use quips from tv shows like curb your enthusiasm, community, big bang theory and the IT crowd, they annoy me because the references just go over my head and they're really NOT funny! Oh, and the office quips.

Oh and just one last one while I'm on that line of thought-

Anything bloody anchorman- "stay classy", etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

cantdecide wrote: »
    "Not three bad" may eventually lead to someone getting poked in the eye.

That's just how the country folk pronounce "not trés bad".

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

summerskin wrote: »
    No, but some of us are quite busy.

Granted, this is certainly true. What I should have specified in my other post was that I tend/tended to know these 'busy' people fairly well and would be fairly convinced that they are less actually busy and more looking for a convenient excuse not to do whatever is being suggested.

However, nor do I know everything about their lives 100 percent either and would admit if my claims were genuinely proved to be out of order. I would nevertheless imagine the opposite is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Moll'll fix it

Chun Li wrote: »
    "No recession in that house"

or 'recession - what recession?'

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Any recession based phrase.

Anything to do with property the boom banks etc etc etc.

People should just cheer the fook up and look on the bright side.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

'keep her lit' - especially when it is said in a Navan accent by an RTE presenter.

Possibly the only person in the world who ever says it or has anybody actually ever heard another person say it?

Tisserand wrote: »
    'keep her lit' - especially when it is said in a Navan accent by an RTE presenter.

Possibly the only person in the world who ever says it or has anybody actually ever heard another person say it?

It's a boy racer phrase meaning keep your foot to the floor- keep the power on. Being a little bit of a [not very] reformed boy racer, I've heard it lots over the years........ but wouldn't lower myself to use it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

9959 wrote: »

Only 20 posts of separation, cripes!

No, it's "crisps!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I occasionally hear people, usually american, saying the something is 'addicting', meaning addictive. It sounds really wrong to my ears...eg "That game is really addicting!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement