Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things People Say That Annoy You

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

"Lance Armstrong is still a legend"

No, he's a cheating vindictive bollix that tried to destroy all in his path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Oh, but your lucky to have a job! F**k Off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Oh, but your lucky to have a job! F**k Off!!
    That drives me mad!
    Or "in these recessionary times"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Show how unimaginative you are by exclaiming "Well that escalated quickly" immediately after a succession of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Nearly always in an interview after a GAA match.....

Marty the Alien - "well that was a good win for the team, are you looking forward to the final in a few weeks?"
    County Legend - "well Marty, d'ye know, we were put to the pin of our collar, d'ye know, at the end of the day like, d'ye know"
    Marty the Alien - "It was a game of two halves really wasn't it?"
    County Legend - "Yeah Marty, d'ye know, it was nip and tuck all the way like d'ye know like"
    Marty the Alien - "Do you like my hair?"
    County Legend - "it's lovely Marty, it really looks like a brillo pad, d'ye know"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

"Slippy" The correct word is SLIPPERY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

the January
    The Christmas
    The August
    agghhh! drives me mad. 'Yea we're going on holidays in the August', no just in August!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

When people pronounce 'specific' as 'pacific'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

The South County Meath tendency to follow every hard T with a H, whilst pronouncing every 'th' word without the H. Noel Dempsey was the minister Thransport. A guy I know is mad into greyhounds, and he frequently talks about Thrap Tree. Does my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 reality19

Cruelty being misprounced as crulity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 reality19

Typo - mispronounced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

When people say kilometers wrong,like "keeeel-o-meters"

Shut up.It's "Kill-om-itors".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭crowdcontrol

High 5!

sounds f**kin ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

"OMG You're such a peasant" - unless you are sitting on a fúcking throne and have endured generations of dedicated inbreeding, so are you!!!!! Most everyone is.

"That is so stereotypical Northsider" says the pampered 16 year old Princess in Dundrum Shopping Centre, with a iphone 5 wearing a pair of Uggs and the obligatory A&F/Holister outfit. Calling someone a stereotype while fitting into one yourself is hilarious.

"Awesome" - as complained about before by Dylan Moran (not word for word), the Colosseum is awesome, the vast size of the Universe is awesome, a pair of Converse is not awesome.

"Random" - Again Dylan Moran mentioned this. A text from your mother asking you were you put something is not random, a polar bear sunbathing in Dublin Bay is random, not your mother texting you.

Preggers, What-ev, OMG (just saying O M G, not even Oh My God) totes, etc - just say the whole fúcking word, it makes you sound like you have an IQ actually reaching double figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think anything anyone may say to me today will qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

the worst for me just has to be amazeballs. I hate hate hate it! I get that urge to punch when I hear it..

reality19 wrote: »
    Cruelty being misprounced as crulity

Likewise 'modrin' instead of modern. Seems to be an older generation thing mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lovesfatgirls

dlc - downloadable content, just wait till the dlc patch comes that will fix it.. honestly anyone who believes that needs to be fixed themselves

when the word franchise is in a sentence with anything to do with video games (seen and heard that alot recently)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

pmcmahon wrote: »
    When people say kilometers wrong,like "keeeel-o-meters"

Shut up.It's "Kill-om-itors".

But when talking singular nobody says a kill-o. They say a keeeel-o. Is that wrong also?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Committee - Comet e
    Saturday - Sahurrda
    Billions - Billons
    Millions - Millons
    Butter - variations of Buhhur, Busher, Buthur
    Water - variations of wahhur, washer, wathur and worst of all Wadder (Americans)

When they say "The Ukraine" on the news. It's just stupid. Sounds just as silly as "Im going to The Spain on my holidays, and on my way back Im calling to my relations in The France"

Or when someone says Pacific for Specific, Ovious for Obvious, The Christmas.

The worst has to be when fellas refer to some English Premier League team as "us" or "we". "Sure we won the league last year". No you didn't, you've never even been to a game of your beloved team, and you couldn't point out on a map where this brilliant team is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

"off of"

"in regards to"

flailing prepositions make me dizzy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

annascott wrote: »
    "Slippy" The correct word is SLIPPERY

I was born slippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Facebook = faysssbuk / faisssbewk / faissbuk
    twitter = twi' 'er / twiTer
    google = gewgle
    Linked In = Linc Tin / Link'tIn /linkthin

• Site Banned Posts: 26 imontheprotein

your arms are too big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

"I'll see you there, please God".
    Please God?
    "Oh he was a great man, Lord rest him".
    What?!

Also people that can't pronounce the names of wine.
    "I'll have a bottle of Sanker" (Sancerre).
    "Or maybe a Son-ving-yong Blank" (Sauvignon Blanc)

Dubliners who throw extra letters into words (I am a Dubliner, before you ask)

"Mackeddle", instead of mackerel
    "Apriddle" instead of April

You get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭md23040

More and more people double negating in company speak

it's not uncommon to hear about falling rents

We were never not going to do it

It's not bad tasting but

We would'nt say no to your proposal however

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

"Totes"

"Amazeballs"

"Just join me on this journey" (when telling a story or planning something)

Over emphasizing the letter t at the end of words, "Itttt", "metttt"....ugh!

"Say a prayer for me".. I will not, fúck off!!

"At least you're workin" bleh! I like my work so don't arseing belittle me!

Making any word shorter by adding an O after it, "Indo", "Sambo" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Hurmf wrote: »
    "So he is" e.g." he's in hospital so he is. "

Haha dont go to Laois so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Making any word shorter by adding an O after it, "Indo", "Sambo" :mad:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Hurmf

twistyj wrote: »
    Haha dont go to Laois so!

I'm from Carlow so no escaping it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

MJ23 wrote: »
    When they say "The Ukraine" on the news. It's just stupid. Sounds just as silly as "Im going to The Spain on my holidays, and on my way back Im calling to my relations in The France"
    Well IIRC in French you might use La France in that context and to be fair quite the number of countries are preceded by the definte article in english, or their own languages or both like El Salvador. EG The United States, The Netherlands, The Lebanon, the Peoples Republic of China, The Congo, The Philippines, The USSR (in the past), even cities, like "The Hague". It seems in english anyway to be often attached to countries with plural nouns at the end, so the United states, the Netherlands, or The Philippines, or the Republic of... Or if the country's named after something specific like The Congo. More places used to have it, but have lost it. The Argentine as opposed to Argentina. Ukraine seems to have become more in vogue of late.

"I seen" absolutely wrecks my bloody head.

Newer memes such as women refering to their male partner as "the boy" also grinds my gears somewhat.

"Literally" dropped into every sentence makes me stabby.

The spelling change from Mum or Ma, to the American Mom another one, made doubly irritating when it's claimed it's because of the Irish language pronunciation, rather than an over exposure to The Hills or equal nonsense. I guarantee that if Boards.ie was around in say 1985, the only posters using "Mom" would be American folks. I only started to hear it to any great degree in the late 90's and it really kicked off by the naughties(More so among women initially for some reason?). This was in Dublin too, where the last member of their family to speak Irish was a couple of generations ago. I can think of one person in particular who I clearly remember changing from "Mum" to "Mom".

Actually on that score - and again it seems to be more a young woman thing - nasally D4 accents engorged to even greater heights of ridiculousness by the addition of the previously mentioned American/The Hills style accent.

Oh yea when people pronounce "Height" as "HeightH". They add in an aitch even when it's not there, because dropping aitches is "common". At one time Ireland had the most elocution teachers in the western world so maybe it's a faint echo of that? Actually that's another one; people ashamed of their accents dropping them to fit in. So long as the diction is clear give me the thickest regional accent over some nasally nouveau and faux accent any day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Banned!

Pisses me right off!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

"Calm down"

I am calm...

Maire2009 wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Not sure if I'm being agreed with.......or mocked :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Meangadh wrote: »
    "Epic", "Fail" or indeed "epic fail". F**k off.

"Banter" (used to be an ok word but now it's just used on the main by tools) or even worse "havin the bants".... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHGGHGHGHGAHAHAAHGHHGHHH!!!

Also the "I'm gay" type things people say when they frape someone. Hilaaaaaaaarrrrious. The amount of college students who need to learn to log out of facebook is really ridiculous.

Oh and also when people pronounce double "t"s in words like a d, e.g. "butter" as "budder", "babysitter" as "babysidder". They're Ts dammit, not Ds!

Did someone say Par-D? Im sure theres a Par-D around here somewhere

No you absolute spa its a parTY and no you are invited you iDiot

Meangadh wrote: »
    "Banter" (used to be an ok word but now it's just used on the main by tools) or even worse "havin the bants".... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHGGHGHGHGAHAHAAHGHHGHHH!!!

Agreed 100%! Also having 'mad bants" seems to be doing the rounds at the moment also. Ugh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm being agreed with.......or mocked :confused:

Agreeing with you 100% - it drives me nuts and is epidemic in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

"there is a grand aul stretch in the evenings" :mad::mad::mad:
    Hold on there now for a second untill I check my calendar...yes it is nearly february alright. The days do indeed tend to last a bit longer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

I cringe when I hear people finishing sentences by upping the tone of the last few words. It's like every sentence becomes a question. Again, it's something that developed over the last 10/15 years thanks to American tv shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

"what's happening tonight my party people" , usually asked at about three in the afternoon on a Tuesday in a clammy office full of middle aged people doing accounts.

Erm, probably dinner and some telly. Followed by a big f@ck off rave in an as yet undisclosed warehouse location where we'll all pop some yokes. No, maybe not that last part, but definitely dinner and telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

"Going to <do something stupid as fcuk> tomorrow. SO STOKED."

UGHHHHH I cant even explain how much that one gets me. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Educated (?) people like Matt Cooper who say things like here is x wid your noos. And the Newstalk presenter (one of many) who pronounce Budapest in the way that they think natives do - I mean why not do it with Paris while they are at? What Irish presenter would refer to Paris as Pariee http://www.forvo.com/word/paris/ - they would be more likely to call it Porus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

Wibbs wrote: »
    The spelling change from Mum or Ma, to the American Mom another one, made doubly irritating when it's claimed it's because of the Irish language pronunciation, rather than an over exposure to The Hills or equal nonsense. I guarantee that if Boards.ie was around in say 1985, the only posters using "Mom" would be American folks. I only started to hear it to any great degree in the late 90's and it really kicked off by the naughties(More so among women initially for some reason?). This was in Dublin too, where the last member of their family to speak Irish was a couple of generations ago. I can think of one person in particular who I clearly remember changing from "Mum" to "Mom".

This is the thing people say that annoys me. I, all my sisters, and every other person in my locality - young and old - refers to their mother as "Mom." We just pronouce it that way here! I think it's a South West thing in general, although I'm open to correction on this. It's *not* an Americanism by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ac08400

people who say they are going for / went for "a bite to eat"

people who say "let's catch up"

and people in work who say "let's take this discussion offline" when they mean they can't be arsed talking about it any more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

This may:

a) have been previously mentioned and...

b) be related to a post just directed at me, but...

I really hate being called "mate."

This may:

a) have been previously mentioned and...

b) be related to a post just directed at me, but...

I really hate being called "mate."

My list includes, but is not limited to:
    - chicken
    - honey
    - hun
    - sweetie
    - sugar
    - babe
    - babes
    - woman
    and the worst of the worst - "good girl".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

My list includes, but is not limited to:
    - chicken
    - honey
    - hun
    - sweetie
    - sugar
    - babe
    - babes
    - woman

I'm surprised to realise that the honorifics on that list I believe I've received are: "chicken, honey, hon, sweetie, sugar, babe and babes."

I don't expect either a "woman" or "good girl" any time soon, for reasons that are probably apparent, though the completist in me does now want to finish the list...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

The list of things that really, truly annoy me is very short, but *this* is at the top of the list. Oh, the RAGE.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kat.mac wrote: »
    This is the thing people say that annoys me. I, all my sisters, and every other person in my locality - young and old - refers to their mother as "Mom." We just pronouce it that way here! I think it's a South West thing in general, although I'm open to correction on this. It's *not* an Americanism by any means.
    Maybe not in some areas of Ireland, but in say Dublin? They didn't get it from nowhere and I'd put good money down they didn't get it from your neck of the woods.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement