Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things People Say That Annoy You

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Don't think it's been mentioned but 'Lookit' or 'look' seems to have 'gone viral' especially in the sports management area.

Q How did your team perform today?

A Not well, but lookit, it's our first game and,look, we have a long way to go...

Also there is a geezer in the pub who ALWAYS intones 'corner ball' whenever a ball goes over the endline of the opposition irrespective of how obvious it is that it's not actually a corner.

One of these nights.....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

- Typical Irish begrudgery
    - Get off your high horse
    - Only in Ireland
    - Only in America
    - I'm ashamed to be Irish
    - And we wonder why the country is in the state it's in!
    - PC/liberal/feminist in the wrong context (learn what they mean!)
    - Several of the comments here referring to totally harmless stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

I worked for a Manc(from Manchester) in a removal company and he always pronounced the g at the end of ing. He wanted me to say when I answered the phone "Need anythinG movinG?" I refused because of the way he said it.
    Also, when someone puts a k at the end : "I didn't do anythink" You fucking did, you angered me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Madam_X wrote: »
    - Typical Irish begrudgery
    - Get off your high horse
    - Only in Ireland
    - Only in America
    - I'm ashamed to be Irish
    - And we wonder why the country is in the state it's in!
    - PC/liberal/feminist in the wrong context (learn what they mean!)
    - Several of the comments here referring to totally harmless stuff

"An Irish solution to an Irish problem"

An odd one this. Usually comes from an Irish person that somehow thinks they are above the rest of us. But, of course, isn't and so has just called themself stupid (which oddly brings some element of truth to the statement).

Also tends to be used in inappropriate situations. For example, a badly laid out junction in the road. "Typical. An Irish solution to an Irish problem." An Irish solution? Fine. An Irish problem? Does no other country have two roads that meet at any point?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

There's a lot of very angry people on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's a lot of very angry people on this thread.

Street angels, house devils!

-Is it raining out?
    -Yes, I got drowneded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

People who say "I seen" when they mean "I saw".
    I seen my friend in town yesterday.

Instantly makes me think whoever said it is a thicko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Women who say they are 'pregnant on...'
    You are pregnant with your first child not on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

newwifey wrote: »
    Women who say they are 'pregnant on...'
    You are pregnant with your first child not on it

Or women who say "I'm pregnant for him". You're not pregnant FOR him. You're pregnant BY him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Wibbs wrote: »

The spelling change from Mum or Ma, to the American Mom .
    Something that amuse me know end because the only time (prior to the boom time years ) I heard anybody use Mom as a term for Mother was Americans in public or on the television .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I just cant stand when I hear Americans say 2007 or 2001 or any bleeding number that is supposed to have an AND in it.

E.G My little brother was born in Two thousand AND seven

NOT two thousand seven, or

the twin towers attack happened in Two Thousand AND one

.... NOT TWO THOUSAND ONE YO EFFFING MORONS!!!

Really bugs the ****t outta me that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

'so there'
    'told ya'
    'wats up'
    'hows tricks'
    'monday'
    'little lady'
    'sugar tits'
    'im up to me neck in it'
    'cover for me'
    'we're sold out'
    'you need to spend over €8 to use your card'
    'how was your day?'
    'my battery is gonna go'
    'whats your name?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

At the petrol station: "Any petrol today?"
    "Today"? **** away off and stop trying to make it like I get petrol here regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Please put your item in the baggage area / unexpected item in the baggage area ...fcuk off .:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Drug is not the past tense of drag.

I've been watching a bit too much Judge Judy lately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

IK09 wrote: »
    when my dj friends refer to songs that they are going to play in the club tonight as "some serious weapons gonna be unleashed in (x) tonight!

grinds my gears

I hate this phrase. Why did it get so popular over the last few years. Is it all down to Family Guy? Never heard anyone using it before that.
    It should also be legal to set a dog on anyone who uses the word "sheeple / sheople" either in written or spoken discourse.

A sheepdog?
    MJ23 wrote: »
    When they say "The Ukraine" on the news. It's just stupid. Sounds just as silly as "Im going to The Spain on my holidays, and on my way back Im calling to my relations in The France"
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Though the form "the Ukraine" was once the more common term in English,[24] it has become less accepted after the official dropping of the preposition 'the' by the government of Ukraine in 1993;[25][26][27] as such, most sources have dropped the article in favour of simply "Ukraine".[24]

Seems fair enough. You still see a mix of Bombay/Mumbai, similar set-up.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    The spelling change from Mum or Ma, to the American Mom another one, made doubly irritating when it's claimed it's because of the Irish language pronunciation, rather than an over exposure to The Hills or equal nonsense. I guarantee that if Boards.ie was around in say 1985, the only posters using "Mom" would be American folks. I only started to hear it to any great degree in the late 90's and it really kicked off by the naughties

We used 'mom(my)' in Dublin in the mid/late 80s, (though my dad was culchie alright :)). Surely 'mum' is a British version & should be equally annoying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Feathers wrote: »

We used 'mom(my)' in Dublin in the mid/late 80s, (though my dad was culchie alright :)). Surely 'mum' is a British version & should be equally annoying?

Why is anyone getting annoyed about what someone else calls their mother? If you don't like mum/mom then don't call her that. Who cares what other people call their parents?

It's just such a weird thing to get annoyed about

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Why is anyone getting annoyed about what someone else calls their mother? If you don't like mum/mom then don't call her that. Who cares what other people call their parents?

It's just such a weird thing to get annoyed about

I'm not getting annoyed, just wondering why people are annoyed at Americanisms & not 'British-isms'.

Overall though, you may want to avoid this thread so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Feathers wrote: »
    I'm not getting annoyed, just wondering why people are annoyed at Americanisms & not 'British-isms'.

Overall though, you may want to avoid this thread so ;)

It comes up all the time in AH in numerous threads- people seem far to interested in what other people call their mothers, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

When those twats on RTE call the Dáil the "Doyle".

"Happy out" - Where exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Whatever_fools

When people come up to you when you're standing minding your own business, often on a night out and say 'Smile'...Jayzus, why would I just stand here with a massive smile on my face? Ill tell you what, I'll smile when you f*ck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kennyboy9563

when teens,my own son included, who finish each sentence or statement with a "yea".
    See ya later,yea
    I'm just going to the shop,yea
    call up to me gaff,yea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭StudentDad

When I say, 'it's raining/snowing etc' and I get the response 'Is it?'

:D That irks on some fundamental level

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

People who dont know the difference between pacific and specific, they dont sound that alike at all how do you mix them up, one is an ocean the other is an adjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Never mind hun.. I had an ex-facebook friend that called people "petal".

FCUK

OFF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

"Ride me sideways" is another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

When people come up to you when you're standing minding your own business, often on a night out and say 'Smile'...Jayzus, why would I just stand here with a massive smile on my face? Ill tell you what, I'll smile when you f*ck off!

Cheer up :)

StudentDad wrote: »
    When I say, 'it's raining/snowing etc' and I get the response 'Is it?'

:D That irks on some fundamental level

SD

Does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I hate when people pick up on people's use of 'literally' when they are not speaking literally. It's used for emphasis, smart árse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

I hate when people say Quid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

I hate when people say something like (about a film for example):

'Don't waste your time going to see that! Rubbish' - when speaking on Boards or to other people they don't know.

Eh, how do you know I won't like it just because it wasn't for you? Maybe express why you don't like it....

..in fact, kindly p1ss off. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

St.Spodo wrote: »
    I hate when people pick up on people's use of 'literally' when they are not speaking literally. It's used for emphasis, smart árse.

It really annoys me when people think the English language is there to be chopped and changed.

The words exist for a reason, use a different one if you don't mean literally.

What's wrong with 'really' or 'very' or a million other words you could use?
    ('Million' used for emphasis, not meant literally ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

ANy reference to the dead following a wake. My father is quite a morbit person and enjoys going to funerals. One of the things he normally says after visiting a wake is 'He looked well' not taking into consideration that the person was mutilated in a car wreck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

"Woman can multi-task and men can't "
    It is untrue we are both equally bad at it. It comes from an experiment where woman were tested doing household tasks and so were men. At the time (50s) woman were more accustomed to the tasks.
    So it it was more an experiment on experience versus non experienced people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

'no offence but (insert offensive comment here)'.
    Some sh1tty people use this phrase is a disclaimer which will let you offend people without any comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

People who don't know the difference between moot and mute. Usually used by politicians..they say mute when should say moot. Makes them sound like gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Aliana

People who respond with "that'll change when you get older/closer to death" when I mention I don't believe in god. As if logic will no longer be important to me the closer I think I am to the end of my natural life. Also people who say "everything happens for a reason" Yes, he was driving too fast, that's the reason he crashed, nothing metaphysical about it. "I believe in karma"...this one especially makes me cringe. I suppose the 25,000 people who will die today because of a lack of food must have been bad people who got what they deserve then?

Constantly hearing "why, because you think animals should have the same rights as humans?" or "how do you know vegetables don't have feelings?".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I belligerently agree with you. I'm using "belligerently" for emphasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Should of instead of should have. Drives me mad..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    "Woman can multi-task and men can't "
    It is untrue we are both equally bad at it. It comes from an experiment where woman were tested doing household tasks and so were men. At the time (50s) woman were more accustomed to the tasks.
    So it it was more an experiment on experience versus non experienced people

that was only was made up to justify women doing the housework

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hanged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

A packet o' crips

or

People who describe every genre/flavour of crisps as 'tayto'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Banksters instead of bankers , give me strength!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

Hanged.

"Hanged" is correct, as in the past tense if a person were to hang himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Portlaoise people say
    " I may stay going "
    Like there really busy or something
    And when you walk into a shop down there they say "well" but sounds more like
    " wellllllllllllllllll"

Oh and north county dublin people love having an excuse to say
    "Knockshadane "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

''No Recession There!'' whenever I treat myself & my beloved to a night out once in a blue moon

Yes There Is!! Just means I'm deeper in debt ya f*ckin eejit!

I'm just trying to enjoy life!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Portlaoise people say
    " I may stay going "
    Like there really busy or something
    And when you walk into a shop down there they say "well" but sounds more like
    " wellllllllllllllllll"

You should come to Cork

"Now, so."

"How bad."

Oh and north county dublin people love having an excuse to say
    "Knockshadane "

What or where is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

"so I 'ad some of ih"

- knob on the Sky adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"action", as in 'let's get some food action', or similar.

Advertisement