Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling out my online aplication will some one give me there second oopinion

Options
  • 15-01-2013 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Ok filling out application, i geuss im a bit worried if im putting relevant info down. Would some one have a look at mine and tell me what they think, Im applying as a mature student to Computer Science in DIT

Ok for the first box it says pre-1985 LC i did my LC in 2006 , what do i put in that box do i just list my results or do i leave it blank?? Im currently doing a Fetac course but its not completed so i presume i leave box 2 blank also.

All other entries are in "" not boxes.

Im posting in what should go in the last box, along with that should i post my LC results, i presume they are not relevent at all seen as im not applying on my LC. im Just applying as Fetac and mature student is there anything else i neeed to send in the post that i havent thought of?

Final secondary level qualifications awarded
    e.g. Junior Certificate, Leaving Certificate (pre-1985 only), GCE, etc.
    ( You may enter up to 200 characters. ) Characters left:

If the space available is insufficient, you may include the extra information with your postal documents.

Post-secondary level qualifications
    e.g. Certificate, Diploma, Degree, VTOS, Access course,
    FETAC Level 5/6 (NCVA Level 2/3), PLC, City & Guilds, etc.
    ( You may enter up to 200 characters. ) Characters left:

If the space available is insufficient, you may include the extra information with your postal documents.

Current Studies

"I am currently studying a FETAC level 5 course in computer systems and information technology,I am extremely interested in this course, and I fully expect to achieve top distingtions. "

Non-certificate courses

"I successfully completed a one year course in Exercise health and leisure in 2008."

Employment

"January 2013, I have done two weeks work experience in as part of the software development team at ***, ****, Galway"

Voluntary (Unpaid) Work

"I enjoy helping otherss, I was heavily involved in boxing during my younger years and worked in my local club teaching kids for free once a week. "

Hobbies or interests
    "I am an active person, I have a avid interest in fitness as im also a qualified personal trainer. I also enjoy reading about all the latest trends in technology."

Explain the relevance of your life / educational experience to your
    application and state your educational goals and objectives

(Im posting this section in as 1000 charicters is way too small)

" I have always had a major interest in computing, my eldest brother works as an I.T manager in a busy company. From a young age I grew up watching him programming and building computers. This fascinated me and led me to aspire to a carrier in this field.

On completion of my leaving cert in 2006 I commenced a degree in software development in GMIT Galway. I loved this course and was showing great potential. However due to illness during the later part of the year I missed a lot of valuable college time and was not successful in entering second year.

Unfortunately I veered away from computing after that and worked at various menial jobs over before completing a one-year course in Exercise Health and Leisure in NUI Galway and working as a fitness trainer up until the recession.

In hindsight I know I should have perused my original path of computing. I never lost interest in the subject. In 2012 I applied as a mature student to study computer science. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful, however I was unfazed, I commenced a Fetac level 5 course in Computer Systems & IT in September, I am currently doing very well in the course I highly enjoy programming and computer architecture. I have laid some valuable foundations this year, which will allow me to excel in third level education.

During a recent two-week work placement done in The City Bin Company working as part of the software team I gained excellent experience working as a team doing some object orientated java programming. I also spent some time with the company’s web developer’s where I learned a lot about HTML5 and constructing a usable website.

I am now totally committed to pursuing a career in technology. I believe I have the qualities to forge a successful career in this area. Qualities such as determination, hard diligent work ethic, ambition and very importantly a genuine keep interest in the subject which I believe is the basic ingredient for success in any field.

As a mature student my number one choice is DT228 – BSc in computer Science.
    Upon completion of this course I would like to go further and do a masters such as MSc in advanced software development.. From there I would hope to be in a position to seek full time employment with a growing company such as Goggle or Microsoft.

"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Theres a lot of questions that you are asking Cashern88.

Unless your Leaving Cert was before 1985 you don't need to fill in that box. Elsewhere on the application it asks you for your old LC exam number. That's where you indicate you have a Leaving Cert so make sure you put in that number. You can get your old LC number either on your results statement or from the school you attended or from the State Exams Commission: http://examinations.ie/

The application also asks if you are currently doing a FETAC course. If you are then put in your PPS number where it asks for it. Ths is how CAO will get your FETAC results in the Summer.

The ideas in your statement are good but you might need to work on refining it a bit more. Also it would be a good idea to get someone to do a grammar and spelling check on it.

One thing I would think about removing is the preference for the DIT course. Unless this is the only course you are applying for it might not create the best of impressions with the other colleges receiving your statement. Its up to you though.

Some of the adult guidance services can give good advice on PS for CAO. You can check where your nearest service is here: http://www.aegai.ie/. Look on the services page.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭emalou

I am looking everywhere for this box that asks for your LC exam number but can't find it, can anyone direct me to where it is, please?

Page 2 of the online application form will ask you if you have a Leaving Cert number.

It might be worth your while to do the practice online form here: http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=demo&d=page1

Also read the CAO handbook. It tells you what docs you need , how to arrange them and where to send them.

Its all on the CAO website: http://www.cao.ie

i've done it already and i've done it wrong, damnit :/ i only clicked the mature student box i should have clicked the leaving cert box at the top of the list and the mature student box, now i need to see if i can rectify that ( excuse the lack of caps)

i don't think that part can be changed, i guess that means that i'll just be considered on mature student grounds with no backing up from my leaving cert results, i can deal with that as long as it doesn't make my application void or something? maybe i could just enter leaving cert in the pre 1985 box and post up a copy of my results, should i bother, would it count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

anyone know which one i click for the EU status Question. I am going back as mature student, I did a diploma 10 years ago and I am on Jobseekers for the past two years. Do i click :

1 Are you ordinarily resident in the EU and have you received all
    full-time post primary education in the EU for three of the five
    years immediately preceding admission to Trinity College Dublin.

2. Are you ordinarily resident in the EU and have you worked
    full-time in the EU for three of the five years immediately preceding
    admission to Trinity College.

3. Do you hold a passport from an EU State and have you received all
    full-time post primary education in the EU.

4. Do you have official refugee status or have you been granted
    humanitarian leave to remain in the state and have you been ordinarily
    resident in the EU for three of the five years immediately preceding
    admission to Trinity College Dublin.

5. I do not fall under any of the categories outlined above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

bri007 wrote: »
    anyone know which one i click for the EU status Question. I am going back as mature student, I did a diploma 10 years ago and I am on Jobseekers for the past two years. Do i click :

1 Are you ordinarily resident in the EU and have you received all
    full-time post primary education in the EU for three of the five
    years immediately preceding admission to Trinity College Dublin.

2. Are you ordinarily resident in the EU and have you worked
    full-time in the EU for three of the five years immediately preceding
    admission to Trinity College.

3. Do you hold a passport from an EU State and have you received all
    full-time post primary education in the EU.

4. Do you have official refugee status or have you been granted
    humanitarian leave to remain in the state and have you been ordinarily
    resident in the EU for three of the five years immediately preceding
    admission to Trinity College Dublin.

5. I do not fall under any of the categories outlined above.

Without knowing your circumstances, there's no one here can tell you which one to choose.

emalou wrote: »
    i don't think that part can be changed, i guess that means that i'll just be considered on mature student grounds with no backing up from my leaving cert results, i can deal with that as long as it doesn't make my application void or something? maybe i could just enter leaving cert in the pre 1985 box and post up a copy of my results, should i bother, would it count?

I'd contact CAO to be honest.
    Phone number:
    091-509800

or email them via the website:
    http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=email

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I am applying to CAO as a mature student, I already have a Diploma and recently completed a FETAC course. Do I fill in the Non Standard Application aswel or just the normal one, read the CAO booklet but still a bit confused!

bri007 wrote: »
    I am applying to CAO as a mature student, I already have a Diploma and recently completed a FETAC course. Do I fill in the Non Standard Application aswel or just the normal one, read the CAO booklet but still a bit confused!

They're both the one application :confused:

You indicate the categories that apply to you. E.G in your case, from the info above, the categories of Higher Education and Mature Student would apply. So you would then have to follow the application guidelines for those.

• Advertisement
Advertisement