Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternal DNA testing

Options
  • 15-01-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hope this is the right section!

I have been asked to look into DNA testing for a family member - just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I've been looking at this which looks good:

http://www.oqps.ie/paternity-test-pricing.htm

And also this, but this one doesn't cost as much as the above, only €220.

http://www.easydna.ie/paternity-test.html#homepaternity

However, the site does look a bit, I dunno, cheap? My instinct is telling me go for the first one but the test sounds exactly the same on the second website but not double the price. Anyone have any experience with either?

If the test results don't work out because it's a scam I'll never hear the end of it for recommending it. :rolleyes:

If you feel more comfortable PMing me please do. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

A GP would be the one to ask about this. Before you go spending a fortune, have you checked something simpler like blood types? My daughter has her fathers blood type.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If you don't need court level proof of paternity, blood typing can exclude a person from being the father. Lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

There are two levels of paternal DNA testing;

The test circa 200-300 is called the "Peace of Mind" and is used by men who have a little doubt to the child's parentage. It holds no legal standing and takes about 2 weeks for a response.

The second, circa 1000 is legally standing and can be used in court regarding maintenance hearings, etc.

Though blood typing is cheap, it is no where near as accurate as DNA testing. If you have a rare blood type it would make the child being your far more likely, but a large portion of the population have the same blood types. DNA is never 100% positive that you are the father (usually 90-99% sure) but it is 100% in telling you when the child isn't.

My partner got one for our son, a member of his family and too many of his friends got caught rearing children that weren't theirs. I didn't mind as I knew there was no other man could be father. Not sure what company he used. The results were fast and easy to understand, not to mention discreet. He paid 290 for the "Peace of mind" and was very happy.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

Thanks for all your help guys.

Blood typing wouldn't be as accurate obviously as DNA testing so will still go with this for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Blood typing is a cheap first step for exclusion, not a replacement. If typing excludes, you don't need to spend on DNA.

They all use the same lab btw, unless something has changed in recent years. There's no lab in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

How do you determine blood typing? Enter your blood type, your partners blood type and the kids blood type into a 'formula' of some kind and it will tell you whether the child could be the product of the two adult blood types?

E.g. a child with O Negative could certainly be the product of O negative and B Positive parents but a B negative child couldn't? Of course if the mother is O Negative it doesn't mean the O negative child is the son of the B positive father does it???

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

BenThere wrote: »
    How do you determine blood typing? Enter your blood type, your partners blood type and the kids blood type into a 'formula' of some kind and it will tell you whether the child could be the product of the two adult blood types?

E.g. a child with O Negative could certainly be the product of O negative and B Positive parents but a B negative child couldn't? Of course if the mother is O Negative it doesn't mean the O negative child is the son of the B positive father does it???

Ben

All those examples you give are nonconclusive, which goes to show the limitations of blood grouping.

Basically if you have the adults' blood groups and the child's, you can sometimes work out if the man is not the father. So a test to rule out paternity. Without the mother's blood group there are very few combinations that will given a definitive result.

Off the top of my head- if both adults are group O, the child must be group O (if the man is the father)
    If both adults are Rh neg, the child must be Rh neg.
    If the man is AB, the child must be either A, B or AB (not O)
    If the man is O, and the mother is A, the child must be A or O
    and so on

But there are many more combinations that are inconclusive. If the parents are O neg and B pos like in your example, then the child could be O pos, O neg, B pos or B neg.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

The courage was plucked up recently after a few months of humming and haaing.

They used easyDNA in the end and they were fantastic, they were delighted with the result so happy days :)

The test kits were very easy to use too.

Would recommend :)

Advertisement