Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inappropriate image used

Options
  • 15-01-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there

I reported a post (twice) that contained an image which I would consider to be offensive towards women. I've shown it to some women I work with and they put it on the same level as what you would see on English soccer forums.

I have got no acknowledgement of the report and the image is still there (posted at 13.52).

What do I have to do to get some response from the moderators?

I don't think the poster was trying to be offensive towards women, but he is.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

And what did the Rugby mods say when you PM'd them about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jm08 wrote: »
    Hi there

I reported a post (twice) that contained an image which I would consider to be offensive towards women. I've shown it to some women I work with and they put it on the same level as what you would see on English soccer forums.

I have got no acknowledgement of the report and the image is still there (posted at 13.52).

What do I have to do to get some response from the moderators?

I don't think the poster was trying to be offensive towards women, but he is.

There are a number of issues here.

1: Mods are not online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You first reported just over three hours ago

2: Mods, when they are on line, do not have the time nor inclination to respond to every single reported post. They have enough to do keeping the forum running

3: As with a lot of things in life, context is king. That gif, as I am sure you well know, is from a well known and very popular comedy series. As such, it is quite clear to even the casual observer that, in this context, it is an acted out act of violence in a comedic setting. While fully acknowledging that violence against women is neither something to be made light of, nor something that is to be condoned on Boards.ie, in this context, it is clear that the intention is humourous.

4: You openly acknowledge the poster was not intentionally being offensive to women, yet you persist in reporting the post. I can't help but feel there is an ulterior motive for your reporting the post, given your history and number of bans on the Rugby forum.

In short, its a non-issue. Drop it.

The mods will deal with it as they see fit, when they get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    There are a number of issues here.

1: Mods are not online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You first reported just over three hours ago

I'm well aware of that.
    2: Mods, when they are on line, do not have the time nor inclination to respond to every single reported post. They have enough to do keeping the forum running

We're also told never to respond to a post if you found it offensive - just report it.
    3: As with a lot of things in life, context is king. That gif, as I am sure you well know, is from a well known and very popular comedy series. As such, it is quite clear to even the casual observer that, in this context, it is an acted out act of violence in a comedic setting. While fully acknowledging that violence against women is neither something to be made light of, nor something that is to be condoned on Boards.ie, in this context, it is clear that the intention is humourous.

The intention is indeed humours (which I pointed out in my complaint). while the intention wasn't to be offensive towards women, that doesn't mean that it isn't. Its just casual sexism.
    4: You openly acknowledge the poster was not intentionally being offensive to women, yet you persist in reporting the post. I can't help but feel there is an ulterior motive for your reporting the post, given your history and number of bans on the Rugby forum.

In short, its a non-issue. Drop it.

If my intention was to cause trouble, I'd have responded to it in the thread. I just did what I'm continually told to do by the mods when I got my infractions from the Mods.
    The mods will deal with it as they see fit, when they get a chance.

Great. Thats what I wanted to know. I'd appreciate a response though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement