Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I have written a Play...

• 15-01-2013 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have just finished writing my first play. It's a comedy, set in Ireland. It's 41 pages in length.

I have asked some friends to read it to get a feel for what it is like aloud, and I am very happy with it, a biased opinion I know!

I am just wondering if anyone can advise on the potential next steps. How does the process work, in terms of submitting plays for review, or for theatre companies or amateur groups to perform a play? I know it's a tough business, with a lot of rejection, but I would love to get as much feedback on the script as possible.

Is there a company out there that will read scripts, critique and point you in the direction?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

lucky13 wrote: »
    I have just finished writing my first play. It's a comedy, set in Ireland. It's 41 pages in length.

I have asked some friends to read it to get a feel for what it is like aloud, and I am very happy with it, a biased opinion I know!

I am just wondering if anyone can advise on the potential next steps. How does the process work, in terms of submitting plays for review, or for theatre companies or amateur groups to perform a play? I know it's a tough business, with a lot of rejection, but I would love to get as much feedback on the script as possible.

Is there a company out there that will read scripts, critique and point you in the direction?

Thanks in advance

TheatreUpstairs@gmail.com are you best bet. At 41 pages it's very short, drop it into them and see. They do short plays at lunchtime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Congrats on writing a play!

Using the number of pages written as a basis, it sounds like you have a one act play there. Before submitted it anywhere, I'd recommend you get some friends or better yet actors together and do a couple of readings.

It will give you the writer a better feel of how the script looks as well as pace etc.

From there, just contact any of the theatre groups in your locale to see if there is interest in producing it.

Its not easy to get someone to bite unfortunatley.

That being said, I set up a new production company in 2012 entitled Chicken & Fox Productions. The purpose of the company is to produce original work. I'd be happy to have a read of the script if you want to drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lucky13

Thanks for the replies. Faceman I will definitely be in touch. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

the Abbey welcome submissions, and places like the project would be open to submissions also ...or you could rent a place yourself. It would mean you would be in charge of marketing, admin, ticket sales probably also. You could get a place for 2000 grand for a night. Not cheap I know

It's much cheaper than 2000 a night in most places ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 lucky13

Thanks folks. Have submitted it to a couple of things, hope to hear feedback in March. If nothing comes from that, I might put it on myself to see how that goes.

Thanks again
    Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

lucky13 wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Have submitted it to a couple of things, hope to hear feedback in March. If nothing comes from that, I might put it on myself to see how that goes.

Thanks again
    Aidan

Hi Aidan,
    As someone who has also wrote my own play, my strongest piece of advice would be get some actors/ friends to read/ rehearse the script in front of you. I found this invaluable, it will help you sharpen the text, discard bits that are irrelevant to the play and each actor will give you a different idea of the character you think you created.

As I auditioned for my play, one actress did one small little thing with the character that TOTALLY opened up new avenues for the play. I went back and wrote a monologue, which runs about 6 minutes for that character and is probably my favourite part of the whole play.

Stay open to what the actors give you and try not to be too precious about what you have wrote. Keep in mind that what you are working with is only a draft at that stage.

Best of luck with it, whatever you do with it.

Advertisement