Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs and rescue remedy

• 15-01-2013 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

hi all just wondering can you use rescue remedy on dogs? has anyone tried it?
    Reason im asking is my jrt (whom gets two 30 mins walks a day and is neutered) we have an issue with him barking when he has to go out back.
    He is only out there 3/4 hours tops or when Im doing house work. Its a constant yapping. The other dog is perfectly fine. He also chases his tale. They have toys and chews out there but he just wants to get back in. I cannot trust to leave him in the house when im not there as he will destroy it.
    I'd say its definatly seperation anxiety.
    He will stop eventually and sleep in the kennel but im worried the neighbours are getting pissed off at this stage.
    Im just wondering would the rescue remedy or something like it be worth trying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yeah you can use it in animals, there is one made specifically for animals, you should be able to get it in vets or petshops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bannermaf

Yes you can, I use it in their drinking water during times of stress. Just put a few drops into their water bowl for a few days. I've also heard great things about the "Thundershirts" for all kinds of anxiety, although I haven't tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

handbagmad wrote: »
    hi all just wondering can you use rescue remedy on dogs? has anyone tried it?
    Reason im asking is my jrt (whom gets two 30 mins walks a day and is neutered) we have an issue with him barking when he has to go out back.
    He is only out there 3/4 hours tops or when Im doing house work. Its a constant yapping. The other dog is perfectly fine. He also chases his tale. They have toys and chews out there but he just wants to get back in. I cannot trust to leave him in the house when im not there as he will destroy it.
    I'd say its definatly seperation anxiety.
    He will stop eventually and sleep in the kennel but im worried the neighbours are getting pissed off at this stage.
    Im just wondering would the rescue remedy or something like it be worth trying?

Hi Ya,
    Have you tried a DAP diffuser when hes indoors,its a plug in,that relases dog appeasing phermones,its also available in a spray,I use it on my dog & it does seem to ease his anxiety:).Any good vets or pet shops will stock it or you can buy it direct on the net.Fairplay to you for thinking of your neighbours,I wish mine were as considerate !!They have a big hound that sleeps indoors at night & it barks on & off all night,which wakes me,how they manage to sleep through it barking I dont know,they let it out at the crack of dawn & tie to the otherside of my fence & so it continues to bark!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Would you consider crate training him when you can't watch him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Would you consider crate training him when you can't watch him.

I Did rubygirl. tried a few times He went into hysterics last time he busted trough the crate door. He came from a pretty rough background and doesnt trust many people.

It's not really all the time barking like if he knows we're not in the house he seems fine but its unpredicable. I'd hate to think he was annoying neighbours(though no one has said anything to me).
    They are in the house with me all the rest of the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement