Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Story horse? Mega Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Horse meat always gives me the trots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sweet Jesus Aldi are advertising this as 49% cheaper than Findus Lasagne http://www.aldi.ie/ie/media/product_range/02_swap_and_save/SwapSave_wk20_PD_8.jpg what's it made of Donkey Balls????
    Cats testicles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

kneemos wrote: »
    Where's the quality control,are the horses sick or druged for example,how were they killed is another area for concern.

Agreed. I'm talking more about how people find the concept of eating horse flesh "disgusting".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

old hippy wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm talking more about how people find the concept of eating horse flesh "disgusting".

That's a discussion to have over a few bongs. Nobody is saying they find it disgusting, there peeved as they asked for a Mc Normal & fries and they got a bag of glue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Thread merged.

There is an out side chance that this story will keep on running.

Welcome to the Mega Thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

That's a discussion to have over a few bongs. Nobody is saying they find it disgusting, there peeved as they asked for a Mc Normal & fries and they got a bag of glue.

Even I'd balk at a bag of glue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The FSA said it had no evidence to suggest it was a food safety risk, but ordered the company to test the lasagne for the veterinary drug phenylbutazone, or "bute".
    Animals treated with that drug are not allowed to enter the food chain as it may pose a risk to human health.

There is many reasons to be worried about this cock-up.

Here's the Findus Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FindusSverige?fref=ts luckily enough somebody else is logged in on my laptop, let the races begin......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

DM Comment:

"When I was hungry I used to say "I could eat a horse". Now it's looking likely that I already have !"

• Advertisement

kjl wrote: »
    I don't really see what the big deal is, it's not like horse is poisonous. If you are so cheap that you eat findus lasagna you pretty much deserve what's coming to you.

Well yes it could be. You seem to be willing to put complete trust in companies that have already lied to you about their ingredients and that is a stupid thing to do.

zenno wrote: »
    The FSA said it had no evidence to suggest it was a food safety risk, but ordered the company to test the lasagne for the veterinary drug phenylbutazone, or "bute".
    Animals treated with that drug are not allowed to enter the food chain as it may pose a risk to human health.

There is many reasons to be worried about this cock-up.

True and what I reckon could be worse than horse meat and bute is if we`ll ever know if any of the dioxin contaminated pork ended up in our food.

If there is no investigation now I bet in 10 or 20 years time someone will do some research into why cancer rates increased so much and point to this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

True! I was eating fish fingers once and they contained 30% Pollock! God knows what else other than a few additives and binders!!

That's been the case for a few years now. Cod is on the decline so they tend to use other white fish. Just look out for the ones labeled ''cod fish fingers''....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Did anybody see the meat trader at the centre of this on Prime Time last night? He was proud of the fact (oe excused his mistake anyway) by saying that he never seen the stuff he was dealing in. The same excuse a drug importer would use...'I didn't know it was there, your honour'.
    Do the regulators, meat factories and traders not think that buying and selling of large consignments of 'product' without actually seeing it or sampling it, is the problem here? The guy never even visited the factory that he was buying from. Sounds like a con man's charter to me.
    They have played fast and loose with our food safety and managed to ruin good businesses. Will anybody significant suffer for that??? I very much doubt Larry Goodman is bothered tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Hopefully some enterprising company will release a range of horse steaks and burgers. More choice is a good thing I think!

What else is in your burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Findus caught now, some of their stuff containing 100% horse meat, shocking tbh....I used to love their bollogneighs.

Anyone wrote: »
    Findus caught now, some of their stuff containing 100% horse meat, shocking tbh....I used to love their bollogneighs.

If multinationals like Findus have been caught with their pants down using horse meat as their beef fillers god knows what GMO crap they are using for their pasta. I would say that this is only the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Got 2 four packs of Tesco Finest 95% Angus beef burgers end of Sept. for a BBQ. First pack was indescribably inedible - so much so that we froze the other pack (a first) to return (a first). Never happened. Could there be horse meat in my freezer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Got 2 four packs of Tesco Finest 95% Angus beef burgers end of Sept. for a BBQ. First pack was indescribably inedible - so much so that we froze the other pack (a first) to return (a first). Never happened. Could there be horse meat in my freezer?

Theres a quick and easy test you can do to check. Defrost them and have them at room temperature. The press your finger into the meat. If it feels "good, good to firm" then theres a chance its horse.

• Advertisement

Theres a quick and easy test you can do to check. Defrost them and have them at room temperature. The press your finger into the meat. If it feels "good, good to firm" then theres a chance its horse.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

It took me an embarassing amount of time to get this - I thought it was real at first and was all impressed :o

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    It took me an embarassing amount of time to get this - I thought it was real at first and was all impressed :o

You'd be more embarrassed if you'd asked a serious Q on AH and then realised you'd asked a serious Q on AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Own brand, highly likely.

Yellow pack mule, maybe?

It was fowl

First horse meat burger casualty reported.

His condition is described as stable.

Didn't 'break a leg' so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Own brand, highly likely.

Or not likely at all. If they had tested positive we'd have heard of it by now. Just because a burger is from the same retailer they're not necessarily from the same factory, and they're all made to different specifications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Checked my fridge freezer for Findus Lasagne's. And they're off!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Or not likely at all. If they had tested positive we'd have heard of it by now. Just because a burger is from the same retailer they're not necessarily from the same factory, and they're all made to different specifications.

Asked The FSAI and they said they had not been testing, at that time, for equine DNA. Site is non-specific date wise and does not state what their monitoring has been. They have no plans to retrospectively test any product.

FAQs - How long has this being going on? The FSAI’s findings have triggered an investigation that is ongoing. There is no evidence to suggest that this is more than a one off issue. However, it is not possible to say how long this problem has existed.

http://www.fsai.ie/faqs/horse_pork_dna_meat_products.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

No - far from being "indescribably inedible", horse meat is delicious. I reckon the problem with your burgers was that they had not been transported/stored properly (refridgeration problem) and the meat had rotted. Either that or rotten meat had been mixed with fresh meat at the mincing stage of manufacture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

In addition to the lasagne, Findus have now also announced a recall of all it's frozen Spaghetti Bologneighs.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

If I wanted to go out and buy a nice portion of horse for me supper where could I get it?

If I wanted to go out and buy a nice portion of horse for me supper where could I get it?
    Any value beef meal in your local supermarket is likely to have a sizeable portion.
    I had a horse steak while in France before, it was delicious.

• Advertisement

I'd highly recomment the jockey pie, it's the shepherds day off, he's in his cottage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a horse broke down in the first at dundalk tonight, will we see it on the meat counter next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

How long before Mad Horse Disease.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Anyone see CH4 news? The food safety bloke in the UK got a grilling. Presenter asked him if they test for Dogs Cats and Rats. Lad gave the old '' that would be An Ecumenical Matter'' reply.

I'll take it as a no.

• Advertisement

I am so hungry I could eat a lasagne...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Never mind horses in lasagne,

I think I've found Heather Mills missing leg in my Linda McCartney sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Lasagne in english means Sarah Jessica Parker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Burger King admits its meat have been tainted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/31/burger-king-horsemeat-admits-tainted_n_2593538.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
    Burger King has admitted that it is possible some of its burgers sold in the U.K. and Ireland were, in fact, tainted with horsemeat.
    This is just the latest chapter in an ongoing scandal in the U.K. and Ireland involving beef burger patties tainted with meat from horses and pigs. U.K. supermarket chain Tesco and other companies have also been affected. It's suspected that a meat distributor in Poland, which worked with all the companies in question, used meats other than beef as filler in cheap burgers.
    Burger King had originally stressed that its patties are made with 100 percent beef, although it later dropped Silvercrest, the food processing plant that received meat from the Polish distributor.
    The Guardian has a statement from Burger King:
    "Our independent DNA test results on product taken from restaurants were negative for any equine DNA. However, four samples recently taken from the Silvercrest plant have shown the presence of very small trace levels of equine DNA. Within the last 36 hours, we have established that Silvercrest used a small percentage of beef imported from a non-approved supplier in Poland. They promised to deliver 100% British and Irish beef patties and have not done so. This is a clear violation of our specifications, and we have terminated our relationship with them."
    That means that there's no actual evidence proving that Burger King ever served horsemeat, but also that the company admits that some of its locations may have inadvertently done so. Officials have stressed that the horsemeat-tainted burgers do not pose a health risk to consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

What's a horses fav TV programme ?

Neeiiiggghbours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

As said on Sky News earlier "It's either gross incompetence or there is a huge scam at play here"

So you can't really trust food companies either way. If they dont care what goes into your burger how can you be sure the burger was even hygienically prepared or whatever.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    No - far from being "indescribably inedible", horse meat is delicious. I reckon the problem with your burgers was that they had not been transported/stored properly (refridgeration problem) and the meat had rotted. Either that or rotten meat had been mixed with fresh meat at the mincing stage of manufacture.

These were quarter pounders of pure rubber, clearly not delicious horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

according to the latest news horse meat originated from Romania
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/09/world/europe/uk-horsemeat-probe/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

There are an estimated 70,000 horses unaccounted for in Northern Ireland, the British Labour claimed today as the Government there sought to allay fears that contaminated meat was being sold in supermarkets.

Shadow environment secretary Mary Creagh said unwanted horses were given false paperwork in Northern Ireland before being sold for €10 and then resold to dealers for meat for as much as €500.

She said there was currently a "lucrative" trade in horses, claiming that while the Polish and Romanians were being "conveniently" blamed for the scandal, the contamination problem had started across the Irish Sea.

Speaking in the Commons, Ms Creagh said: "The Ulster Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals have clear evidence of an illegal trade of unfit horses from Ireland to the UK for meat, with horses being re-passported to meet demands for horse meat in mainland Europe.

"It says that there are currently 70,000 horses unaccounted for in Northern Ireland. Unwanted horses are being sold for €10 and being sold on for meat for €500 - a lucrative trade.

"It is very convenient to blame the Poles and the Romanians but so far neither country have found any problems with their beef abattoirs."

Many horses are also believed to be contaminated with the carcinogen phenylbutazone, often referred to as bute, she said, claiming that the Environment Secretary Owen Paterson had been "incompetent".

The lack of information from the Government had been a "disgrace", Ms Creagh added, telling MPs the British public's confidence in the food chain was "sinking like a stone".

Mr Paterson said that unless products had been designated as unsafe by the Food Standards Agency, consumers should not worry.

Turning to Ms Creagh, he said: "The advice on food is very, very simple. I have been completely consistent on this. I have been absolutely clear, the independent agency which gives professional advice is the Food Standards Agency.

Source: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/70000-horses-unaccounted-for-in-northern-ireland-29064218.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement