Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Story horse? Mega Thread.

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

jazus, I dont know whom I can believe. Ive just came across another news about horse meat scandal and it appears now that horse meat is actually...a donkey meat:D
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/horsemeat-found-in-british-supermarkets-may-be-donkey-8489030.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

so, what, 2002 when mad cow was breaking out all the beef producers were ****ting a brick and the people who need to buy burgers and **** were thinking "dammit, i still need to sell a big mac" - enter the horse, and a new secret market was born

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

France has pointed a finger
    French meat processing company Spanghero knowingly sold horsemeat labelled as beef, the French government has said. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21464052
    UK shops have continued to withdraw more products including soup and pasta sauces
    Asda announced it had withdrawn its 500g Beef Bolognese Sauce from sale after tests indicated the presence of horse DNA. It said it had also withdrawn three other products from the same supplier as a precaution. These are 600g Beef Broth Soup, 500g Meat Feast Pasta Sauce and 400g Chilli Con Carne Soup. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2278752/Police-arrest-men-including-Welsh-factory-owner-horse-meat-probe-ASDA-withdraws-pasta-sauces-soup-new-contamination-fears.html
    Animal antibiotics not authorised for humans may have entered the food chain
    Horse carcasses that tested positive for drug may have entered food chain in France, UK farming minister tells Commons http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/feb/14/horsemeat-scandal-bute-food-chain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A MAJOR food company whose chief executive is the brother of the Minister for Agriculture has confirmed that one of its beef products has been found to contain traces of horse meat.

Products manufactured by Greencore, a publicly traded company headquartered in Santry, have been taken off the shelves by Asda after positive tests on a beef bolognaise sauce product.

Greencore is run by Patrick Coveney, the brother of the Minister for Agriculture, Simon Coveney – who yesterday convened a special meeting of his EU counterparts in Brussels to discuss an EU-wide approach to the problem.

http://www.thejournal.ie/greencore-product-asda-horse-dna-796431-Feb2013/

lmfao

Quick, send that to Bild.de and Dailymail.co.uk

its gotta be a huge scam , wonder who pocketed the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dixiedan

Spaghetti horsebolloxbolog-neighs is now a reality

http://news.sky.com/story/1050762/horsemeat-found-in-tesco-spaghetti-meals

FYP

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

So BBC have just announced that horse meat was found in Burgers made by the caterers for the Aviva Stadium. At the Rugby on Sunday they had signs every where stating that all their burgers were "100% Beef" so it'll be interesting to see how they deal with this at the next event!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

I don't think anyone gives a fuck anymore whether there is horse meat in their burgers, these horse threads should be banned from boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The term "100% beef" is a thing of the past now. Anymore we'll be seeing "guaranteed 60% beef" etc. That would be believable at least.

Horses are taking over the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I think by now we have all eaten horse meat and couldn't tell the difference. The French got their point across

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wonder if they put up a sign saying "may contain traces of horse" would they have sold any less burgers?

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wonder if they put up a sign saying "may contain traces of horse" would they have sold any less burgers?

Definitely. You could see how wary some people were on Sunday and Wednesday.

• Advertisement

The ending to Black Beauty needs to be changed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So what of the burgers, have they tested the beer for horse piss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭pcardin

I still don't understand what's the big deal about this horse burger thingy. :confused: I mean, I never tried to eat horse meat but I know a lots of countries eat horse meat. Does it taste somehow bad or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The term "100% beef" is a thing of the past now. Anymore we'll be seeing "guaranteed 60% beef" etc. That would be believable at least.
    Well it was usually 100% 'Irish' Beef, which you could argue may still be technically correct

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Culleeo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone gives a fuck anymore whether there is horse meat in their burgers, these horse threads should be banned from boards.

Hiya minister Coveney :)

• Advertisement

pcardin wrote: »
    I still don't understand what's the big deal about this horse burger thingy. :confused: I mean, I never tried to eat horse meat but I know a lots of countries eat horse meat. Does it taste somehow bad or what?

I think it's the fact that we weren't eating what we thought we were.
    Plus there was the risk of the chemicals of certain medications that horses take being in that meat. Cows don't hold the same risk.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Horse meat is perfectly fine to eat. The issue is not the fact that someone has eaten a horse, but rather that they have eaten it without knowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm sure we've all uttered the phase in times of being famished "Jays I'd ate a horse". I don't see the big deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I still don't understand what's the big deal about this horse burger thingy. :confused: I mean, I never tried to eat horse meat but I know a lots of countries eat horse meat.

They eat dogs, frogs, snails, insects, semi-mature bird foetuses and other weird sh!t in various countries. That doesn't give them licence to cut our food with it on the QT in order to to save a few bob, which is all this is about really.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

You guys don't understand the countries were people eat horse meat is ok
    This horse meat is race horse meat and full of painkiller and other stuff they inject the horse with, How can anyone think that is ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Definitely. You could see how wary some people were on Sunday and Wednesday.
    They were wary about being lied too I'd say more than anything.

If you were hungry and horse was your only option you might just go for it. I wouldn't have had a problem eating the burgers knowing what they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Threads Merged.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You guys don't understand the countries were people eat horse meat is ok
    This horse meat is race horse meat and full of painkiller and other stuff they inject the horse with, How can anyone think that is ok?
    Is it? How do you know that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I was out for dinner the other night and had the lasagne. The waiter came along and asked how my food was, I replied "It was beautiful, my compliments to the jockey."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Even When I Lie

Ah that explains it so, as when at the Aviva for the match the other night a few lads were asking us had we had any grass.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Is it? How do you know that?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/feb/14/horsemeat-beef-tests
    Medical risks from eating horse containing the equine painkiller phenylbutazone, or bute, are said to be very low but David Heath, the food minister, revealed on Thursday that eight horses slaughtered for food in the UK had tested positive. Six of those carcasses had been exported to France for use in human food in the last few weeks, according to the Food Standards Agency, but efforts were being made to recall them.

Sod the horsemeat, I'm more worried about finding this! :eek:

Birds Eye have now withdrawn some ready meals.

Looking at the Tesco website, all I see in the Ready Meal section are Tesco & WeightWatchers (including Tesco Value Beef Lasagne)

Horsemeat mislabelled (in czech) as beef in a Carrick-on-Suir plant was to be sent on to Czech Republic.
    Plant has now been closed down by Dept of Agriculture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I always knew chorizo was donkey sick but people wouldn't listen

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All predicted by Echo & The Bunnymen back in 1985

0:40 for the scary bit , and no I would not be surprised at all.

Remember in China they were adding melamine to baby food to boost the protein measurements. If there is money to be made and lax enforcement expect at least a select few to break the rules.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21559451
    Germany's development minister has suggested that horsemeat mislabelled as beef should be distributed to the poor.
    Dirk Niebel said he supported the proposal by a member of the governing CDU party, and concluded: "We can't just throw away good food."
    The opposition dismissed the idea, but a priest said it should be considered.
    Don't see it making any difference now, sure they've been eating horse for years and not knowing about it!

Tesco: We don't know what's in our food
    the boss of Tesco was forced to admit he still could not guarantee that all of his products contain exactly what is on the label as he fought to reassure the public over the scandal. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2285217/IKEA-withdraws-sausages-containing-horse-meat-sale-Britain-Tesco-boss-admits-dont-know-whats-food.html
    Tesco also say that food prices will probably rise as a result of the horsemeat scandal

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tesco: We don't know what's in our food
    Tesco also say that food prices will probably rise as a result of the horsemeat scandal
    Well if the beefburgers have to have beef in them, it's more expensive than horse! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Ted Walsh was overheard at a race meeting the other day shouting "If that f*cker doesn't win I'm going to eat him/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Well if the beefburgers have to have beef in them, it's more expensive than horse! :rolleyes:

Yes but where's the replacement beef going to come from or was there an equal yet opposite scandal in France where people were sold cow instead of horse?

Recent headlines about horsemeat have led Europe's consumers to give some "beef" products a wide berth - but horse has long been enjoyed in some European countries. In Paris, fashionable chefs have actually been putting it back on their menus. So will more diners now be jumping for the horse tartare?
    Would you willingly give your children horsemeat hamburgers for their tea?
    The answer to that in most of the English-speaking world, even before the latest mislabelling tailspin, would have been an emphatic nay. To which the horses would no doubt respond with a grateful one of their own.
    In France, the response would be more guarded. French horse-meat consumption has been in decline for decades, and today accounts for just 0.4% of all meat eaten.
    Continue reading the main story “Start Quote
    My mission is to tell the world that you can sit on your meat and eat it too”
    Jean-Guillaume Dufour Restaurateur
    But there are still 750 horse-butchers operating in the country, 17% of the population claim to have eaten horse at some time or another, and around 11,000 farmers continue to raise horses for the meat trade.
    Professionals say they believe the worst of the decline is over. For the last two years horse-eating has been - excuse the pun - stable.

Horse back on the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Just reported that the Tesco meatloaf contains 5% horse meat, and its supplied from a farm in NI.

DailyMail - Dutch recall 50,000 tons of ‘beef’ sold across Europe amid fears it contains horse
    The Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority said 370 different companies around Europe and 132 more in the Netherlands were affected by the recall because they bought meat from two Dutch trading companies.
    Yesterday, the UK Food Standards Agency said that the veterinary painkilling drug phenylbutazone - or bute - had been found in Asda Smart Price Corned Beef. Asda had already withdrawn tens of thousands of its own brand corned beef last month after it was found to contain up to 50% horsemeat.

• Advertisement

This shocking report into the Irish roots of the horsemeat scandal goes undercover to reveal a systematic criminal harvest of thousands of horses, which netted millions of euro.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bu33les

Anybody look at suing the likes of Tesco for not doing checks or the Department of whichever that wasn't doing it job (bunch of wasters) or some of the Factorys...........or Poland even?

Advertisement