Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Story horse? Mega Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

wolfeye wrote: »
    The horse meat is probably the only healthy thing in them burgers.

If they can sell burgers for a euro it ain't prime cut is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

But, a horse got personality. Personality goes a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Boombastic wrote: »
    A very unstable position to be in, you'd be galloping to the toilet the whole time

Not a nice position at all. A bit of a mare in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

all our meat is fully traceable from stable to table.i mean champion the wonder horse must be turning in his burgergrinder...grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Yuck. Another good reason to go vegan. You don't know what you are getting in animal products.

That's a silly stance to take, you can be a responsible meat eater just as you can be an irresponsible vegan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Thread title should be changed, it's bordering on libel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Sarah Jessica Parker better watch out, Tescos could be after her for their next roll :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

http://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/press_releases/horseDNA15012013.html

So that's what happened to Shergar. An FSAI reports reveals that what you think are beef burgers are, in some cases, horse burgers - or pig. Maybe it's more EU intergration, those French lads love an aul horse steak.

"In one sample from Tesco, the level of horse DNA indicated that horsemeat accounted for approximately 29% relative to the beef content."

It is, at one level, shocking. On another, however, why is eating horse meat so much more terrible than eating cattle meat? It's a weird one how human beings in different cultures think about the food they eat.

Personally, after all the fact-based evidence about the sheer bastards who run the meat processing industry and their practices, few thinking Irish people would trust the meat industry and many of these people would have given up meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

its part of abp food group one of the biggest in europe

• Advertisement

Is there only one Silvercrest Foods factory, because I worked in one?
    its part of abp food group i think. larry goodmans europe wide operation

Zab wrote: »
    Did he say this on the radio? It doesn't say that in the report (no mention of the source) and it doesn't say it in the articles I've read (some did come from the UK, I assume the Moordale ones).
    the tesco 29% ARE made in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

kneemos wrote: »
    If they can sell burgers for a euro it ain't prime cut is it?

I heard straight from the horses mouth it's not prime cut.
    A bit of a night mare they say.

gowley wrote: »
    the tesco 29% ARE made in ireland

Only trace amounts in the Irish plants according to the food authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Gives a new meaning to flogging a dead horse.

they were all made in irish factories for tesco lidl aldi and dunnes. The only ones made in the uk were for iceland. the two companies were liffey meats and silvercrest. the most found was 29% in tesco everyday valu burgers produced in ireland factory code IE565EC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Liffey Meats Quality bull horse shit page

More than likely the products weren't under their own brand name.

Supermarkets sometimes negotiate with producers to create supermarket branded / cheaper versions of their products.

So a "Value brand" wouldn't have the same standards.
    That's why I rarely buy supermarket branded goods.

I'd a mate in college ( 20 years ago ) who used to work in a well known Irish meat processing factory.
    They were picking the maggots off the production line for a well known Irish supermarkets branded products.

Looking at the table of results, there is a huge flaw in that argument as most own brands tested negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Horse DNA doesn't mean horse meat.. it could be semen for all anyone knows!

Maybe its just me but I'd rather eat horse meat than horse jizz :pac:

It is made by Silvercrest foods in monaghan and is part of abp. just checked the factory codes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

they were all made in irish factories for tesco lidl aldi and dunnes. The only ones made in the uk were for iceland. the two companies were liffey meats and silvercrest. the most found was 29% in tesco everyday valu burgers produced in ireland factory code IE565EC.

If true, it is the equivalent of treachery by Larry Goodman (Silvercrest) and Frank Mallon (Liffey Meats). There are so many jobs based on the Irish food industry these people are undermining Irish livelihoods and should, theoretically of course, be prosecuted by the Irish state. Ha. Not likely.

Perhaps an employee of one of these firms could prosecute them and we could donate to a legal fund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You're right, I missed the Plant Number column. The 29% horse Tesco burgers are Irish. keemos, either you or the guy on the radio must have got this one wrong.

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    Looking at the table of results, there is a huge flaw in that argument as most own brands tested negative
    dont know where you are getting your info but EVERY product that tested positive for equine were own brand bar flamehouse in dunnes. moordale is an supermarket brand as is natures isle as is st bernard as is tesco and everyday valu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

dont know where you are getting your info but EVERY product that tested positive for equine were own brand bar flamehouse in dunnes. moordale is an supermarket brand as is natures isle as is st bernard as is tesco and everyday valu

From the fsai

Birds eye aren't own brand neither are big al's,

Edit opps your right, they had the pig not horse

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Moneygall

Every little ( bit of horse meat, from Larry Goodmans Silvercrest plant) helps!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Horse DNA doesn't mean horse meat.. it could be semen for all anyone knows!

One sample was 29% horse meat

You're right, I missed the Plant Number column. The 29% horse Tesco burgers are Irish. keemos, either you or the guy on the radio must have got this one wrong.

Only know what the bloke said,take it up with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Given that burgers are one of the simplest things to make at home - even I can do it - it's madness to buy them from a supermarket. Just another reason why I continue to only buy organic meat wherever possible or do without.

Only know what the bloke said,take it up with him.
    lol just correcting your post.dont know what he said so can only comment on what you said

Just another reason why I continue to only buy organic meat wherever possible or do without.

I don't think this has anything to do with how the animals are fed.

I'd be curious to see them do the same for mince. I suspect there will be at least pork traces in a lot of the pre-packaged mince, possibly even the same for a butcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I don't think this has anything to do with how the animals are fed.

I'd be curious to see them do the same for mince. I suspect there will be at least pork traces in a lot of the pre-packaged mince, possibly even the same for a butcher.

Probably even more likely in the butchers, if they only have one mincer, and serve pork/lamb mince as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Given that burgers are one of the simplest things to make at home - even I can do it - it's madness to buy them from a supermarket. Just another reason why I continue to only buy organic meat wherever possible or do without.

As quoted on one of the links MadsL posted:
    A study last year found one in five pubs and restaurants was selling beef from South America as 'British' or 'local'. Much of the beef was part Zebu, a breed found in Brazil which is tougher and of poorer quality than British beef. It is also profitable to substitute cheap alternatives for products such as free-range eggs, organic vegetables, basmati rice, virgin olive oil, mozzarella cheese and arabica coffee beans.

A spokesman for the consumer group Which? said: 'The level of food fraud in the UK has been estimated at about £7billion a year but the true extent is impossible to gauge. It is not easy to spot when a premium product has been substituted or mixed with a cheaper one or when a label lies about its origin.

Being honest, I reckon half of the food products out there arent really organic. No way for a consumer to know. Geez, you really cant trust anything in this world :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

so no one took the the horse to france after all....

Probably even more likely in the butchers, if they only have one mincer, and serve pork/lamb mince as well.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I don't know if they have guidelines on cleaning them in between meats. I guess horse is less likely though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd still rather eat horse than go vegan.
    I'd eat the jockey, the trainer and the wheels off the horsebox before I'd make that move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Tesco statement
    "Our customers have the right to expect that food they buy is produced to highest safety and quality standards".

Everything's all right then.
    Assuming the statement that means that its thoroughbred burgers.
    Was worried sick the family might be eating donkey or Shergar !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Fritzl Funderland

i wondered what had happened to the horse i left outside...

Yuck. Another good reason to go vegan. You don't know what you are getting in animal products.

Ha no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The supermarkets will have to put a warning on their beef burgers, saying may contain traces of beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It doesn't matter if it's only trace amounts. The meat shouldn't have gotten into the burgers. You wouldn't be saying it's only trace amounts if it was salmonella or ecoli in the meat.

We are supposed to have some sort of tracability of meat in this country. Clearly the system isn't working.

You could get a small amount of horse meat in a beef burger if you used the same mincing machine for doing both horse and beef and didn't wash the machine in between. I fail to see how that could be as high as 29% though.

Would adding horse meat reduce the cost of producing the burgers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

i wondered what had happened to the horse i left outside...

Meh! ... Just tape a bunch of cats together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Pal wrote: »
    donkey
    Mmm, donkey...

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Would adding horse meat reduce the cost of producing the burgers?

Indeed. And if it was an accident, what were they planning on doing with all the horse mince? Do they mince other strange animals at the plant?

You could make burgers out of dog food and it would be the same or better quality than the cheap supermarket burgers.

Just had a burger, must gallop off to the races.

I can just imagine all the burger stalls at the racecourse selling last weeks losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

As quoted on one of the links MadsL posted:

Being honest, I reckon half of the food products out there arent really organic. No way for a consumer to know. Geez, you really cant trust anything in this world :p

I buy this company's products http://www.goodherdsmen.com/factory_processing.html from a local supermarket. I know one of the individuals behind the company and have no worries about their products. Sorry for going off topic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Zinc and Vitamin E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You wouldn't be saying it's only trace amounts if it was salmonella or ecoli in the meat.

But trace amounts of both are often in fact in meat. That is why they recommend you cook chicken and minced meat thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Mh h h add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21034942

It's meant to be very lean but I'm not sure many of us can stomach eating Shergar.

But trace amounts of both are often in fact in meat. That is why they recommend you cook chicken and minced meat thoroughly.
    in the case of tesco every day valu it was 29%. thats hardly a trace

• Advertisement
Advertisement