Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Story horse? Mega Thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pottler wrote: »
    Load of old cobblers. I give a damn if there's horse meat in my burgers as long as it's well minced. Like horse meat ever killed anyone, probably better for you than beef. I really could care less, and I used to be a beef farmer. Horse meat is fine by me, but that's just me.

Next people will be whinging because there's beef in their venison burgers. Any idea how long some beef sits for before it is processed? Try years... I'd rather fresh horse anyday. On a scale of 1-10 regarding crap that's put in food we eat, a bit of horse rates as a 0 worry for me. I'm probably well alone on that and mega whinging will ensue about this.

The notion of eating horse doesn't particularly bother me. What is an issue though, is if horse meat is getting into beef by accident, what else is?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

O my, the jokes on here tonight are terrible,

Once again the Irish meat trade will be unstable , I've been telling people for years you don't really know what goes into half of these products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Chorcai wrote: »
    It was the ministers reply to Brian Dobson's question that had me in stitches

"well Brian if you tested for human DNA, you would fine trace amounts in burgers also"

The PR + HSA did a collective face palm

"I did not have sexual relations with that cow."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Chorcai wrote: »
    It was the ministers reply to Brian Dobson's question that had me in stitches

"well Brian if you tested for human DNA, you would fine trace amounts in burgers also"

The PR + HSA did a collective face palm

Jeees ....:o:o:o

I was in Tesco last week and they were trying to sell horse meat off as chicken...Six foot fookin' drum stick didn't fool me i tell ye.

Six hands high maybe ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

bb12 wrote: »
    you shouldn't be finding anything else in your beef burger when it's labelled 100% beef!
    The horse was called "Beef". It was the 100% bit that was dodgy, it was only 20% Beef, the rest of him went for glue. Next people will be moaning about their Uhu. Critics of Tesco are gonna make hay with this anyway but once the situation stableises they'll jump on somthing else to bridle about.

• Advertisement

Horses.

O my, the jokes on here tonight are terrible,

Once again the Irish meat trade will be unstable , I've been telling people for years you don't really know what goes into half of these products.
    You just couldn't resist, could you:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Had a horse burger in Slovenia. Was pretty OK, but smelled fucking awful. Had to brush my teeth with a rotting homeless man to make the smell better.

Was he a squatter while he was in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Horse eh..? :eek: No wonder I had the gallops after it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

gowley wrote: »
    they are actually labelled 63% beef

fine mr, pedantic! then i expect to find 63% beef and certainly not any horse meat if it's not included in the labelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

"F**k your beef burger, I've a horse inside."

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WellKiiid??

bb12 wrote: »
    fine mr, pedantic! then i expect to find 63% beef and certainly not any horse meat if it's not included in the labelling

Haha he has the name Gowley for a reason!! coz hes a GOWL!!!

jluv wrote: »
    The test was completed in Nov according to the 9 0 clock news so why only hearing about it now!
    No-one had the guts to rein them in until now. Who'd want to be first past the post with that sort of news? They knew it would be a hoary chestnut so they dun what they could to keep the bad news at bay. Sure you'd need to be a numnah not to realise the press would lunge on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Haha he has the name Gowley for a reason!! coz hes a GOWL!!!
    lol i was only informing him of the correct facts. if hes going to be quoting percentages he should at least try and have them some way accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Well I just checked the Tesco burgers in my freezer......and they're off.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I got some in a restaurant today, they were listed with the soup, under starters orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

The horse was called "Beef". It was the 100% bit that was dodgy, it was only 20% Beef, the rest of him went for glue. Next people will be moaning about their Uhu. Critics of Tesco are gonna make hay with this anyway but once the situation stableises they'll jump on somthing else to bridle about.

According to Wiki Hennessy Gold Cup triple winner Beef or Salmon "retired" in 2008. Hmmmm. Be fairly tough by now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

I loves a good horse burger so I fails to see the problem here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Freezer not working? They wont go the distance if they're in a dead heat.

Its them damn Monganeese (Monaghan People). ABP Ballyhay (IE 565 EC) in monahan seem to be the main culprits for it, they have 5 products out of 7 tested which contained horse DNA. And of those 7, 6 contained less than 79% beef content!

Nearly all the 27 brands of burgers tested contained pig DNA.

The burgers containing horse DNA were:
    Tesco Everyday Value Beef Burgers, Oakhurst Beef Burgers, St Bernard Beef Burgers, Moordale Beef Burgers, Tesco Beef Quarter Pounders, Moordale Ultimate Beef Burgers, Moordale Quarter Pounders, Flamehouse Chargrilled Quarter Pounders, Iceland Quarter Pounders, Iceland Quater Pounders.

Look at these and see for yourself!!

http://www.bordbia.ie/industryservices/quality/pages/allcertifiedqamembers.aspx

http://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/News_Centre/Burger_results_2013_01.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I don't see what the problem is with 30% best mate?

Its them damn Monganeese (Monaghan People). ABP Ballyhay (IE 565 EC) in monahan seem to be the main culprits for it, they have 5 products out of 7 tested which contained horse DNA. And of those 7, 6 contained less than 79% beef content!

Tesco Everyday Value Beef Burgers, Oakhurst Beef Burgers, St Bernard Beef Burgers, Moordale Beef Burgers, Tesco Beef Quarter Pounders, Moordale Ultimate Beef Burgers, Moordale Quarter Pounders, Flamehouse Chargrilled Quarter Pounders, Iceland Quarter Pounders, Iceland Quater Pounders.

you can look at meat content on any product and you will be surprised.some sausages have only 30% pork and most have less than 60%. tesco had a sheperds pie with only 3% beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

In beef processing plants vets inspect the meat at every stage, for fecal contamination, cysts, ulcers and other illnesses.

Burgers aren't made from prime cuts but there is some quality control, a burger with 29% horse meat can only mean that cheap spurious meat was used - are we been feed road kill, sheep that drowned in ditch and the odd old nag that got sick and died.

Just listened to the minister on prime time and don't think everything has come out yet.

Good information there, it's always great to have the S.P on stuff. There will be a serious stewards enquiry into this, no doubt.

you can look at meat content on any product and you will be surprised.some sausages have only 30% pork and most have less than 60%. tesco had a sheperds pie with only 3% beef.

True! I was eating fish fingers once and they contained 30% Pollock! God knows what else other than a few additives and binders!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Simon Coveney is on the case. Don't worry his department is ''looking into it''. There you go, straight out of the horses mouth so to speak.

I think he's telling tails. Get this. He says there's vets working in factories making these burgers.

True! I was eating fish fingers once and they contained 30% Pollock! God knows what else other than a few additives and binders!!
    My old man was a "recipe chappie" for meat products and the biggest ingredient is usually Rusk and milk protein. The meats only there as a seasoning.. My claim to fame is he invented the recipes for most of the popular breakfast meaty stuff people eat daily, eg pudding and loads of top brand sausages. Main idea was to reduce the amount of meat used tho...but I'm hoarse telling people.

squod wrote: »
    Simon Coveney is on the case. Don't worry his department is ''looking into it''. There you go, straight out of the horses mouth so to speak.

I think he's telling tails. Get this. He says there's vets working in factories making these burgers.
    Eh euh eh euh... That's all I ever hear when he's speaking anyway.

My old man was a "recipe chappie" for meat products and the biggest ingredient is usually Rusk and milk protein. The meats only there as a seasoning.. My claim to fame is he invented the recipes for most of the popular breakfast meaty stuff people eat daily, eg pudding and loads of top brand sausages. Main idea was to reduce the amount of meat used tho...but I'm hoarse telling people.

Rusk? As in those things you feed to babies..? Like a biscuit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Instead of the traditional whip,top jockeys are going to wave a sesame burger bun at the racehorse to "encourage" them to try harder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭jluv

I'm kinda taking from the responses here,that not too many people ate these crappy burgers anyway:)

Rusk? As in those things you feed to babies..? Like a biscuit?
    Same stuff, the food ingredient version comes in bulk, granular form, kinda like.err..ground up rusks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Ate salami, made of horse meat, in Germany, it's quite nice actually ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

And so it begins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Larry Goodman's AIBP to rebrand as ABP food group who own silvercrest brand and have factory in poland http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming-Larry-Goodman-s-AIBP-to-rebrand-13853.html

• Advertisement

Larry Goodman's AIBP to rebrand as ABP food group who own silvercrest brand and have factory in poland http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming-Larry-Goodman-s-AIBP-to-rebrand-13853.html

That happened about a year ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 09898531

Just after checking the burgers in the freezer ..... And they're off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Are people more upset from having eaten the horse burgers or from not being told there was horse in them?

That happened about a year ago!
    or more.it was AIPB before not IFP stated in the article
    the took out the irish in anglo beef packers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I bought some of those horse burgers at Tesco last week......and they're off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

603162_3625012322568_1214256789_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

Now we know why burgers are classed as 'Fast food'

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

puts a whole new meaning to the jockeys breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Darn it, I was planning on working in Silvercrest again this Summer... But that plan is probably going to be out the window..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Burger Barry, is apparantly, outraged:

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Darn it, I was planning on working in Silvercrest again this Summer... But that plan is probably going to be out the window..
    you will be grand. L arry has come back from much worse than this. hes a legend

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

09898531 wrote: »
    Just after checking the burgers in the freezer ..... And they're off!
    Paully D wrote: »
    I bought some of those horse burgers at Tesco last week......and they're off!

Too slow horsies :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

Apart from the fact it wouldnt be listed in the ingredients, which is against EU law, I'm not sure any wrong has been done. It never was claimed they were 100% beef. Here are the offending burgers, notice how it says "8% more beef" implying there's other stuff too.

So its a major scandal not to fully list ingredients, but really, you should only be buying 100% beef burgers anyway. Its terrible though, people could have allergies or religious reasons for not eating certain things so all should be legally and morally listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

I wonder what happens to meercats when they are to old to do insurance ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

they are actually labelled 63% beef

29.1% horse meat and what was the other 8.9%?

• Advertisement
Advertisement